1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to tell if someone is lying

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by twilyth, May 17, 2011.

1. twilyth Guest

This is pretty interesting and provides a very different technique for detecting deception than what you might normally think of and what you may have seen in shows like "Lie to Me".

It also covers interviewing techniques.

article

2. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    thanks for that info ;)

3. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. caleb

Thanks Received:
    In 'Catcher in the rye' guy lied even tho he didn't want to and I have it too. Impossible to detect!

5. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    Should watch a show called, "Lie to Me", on Fox.

It got canceled, but I thought it was a good show. It's all about this stuff.

6. sniviler New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can learn alot watching/listening to all of our US politicians. :)

7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i remember one article that said one of spy test is how to avoid lie detector

8. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Lie to me is one of these shows that was based on actual techniques. Even the websites mentioned in the show exist. And the techniques work. On most people. Reading a persons reaction when being questioned is rather easy once you know what you have to look for; also when a person lies in front of a crowd i.e. She tells the crowd the performance of person A was great, but thinks the opposite.

9. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Another if not better way would be waterboarding.

10. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Except for with Waterboarding people have been willing to admit to anything to make it stop...

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  11. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I got a book called "Never Be Lied To Again" by David J. Lieberman (also comes in .pdf). If you can get hold of it, I recommend that. It's extremely thorough and teaches you how to spot a lie casually and forcefully, and also teaches you about battle tactics when faced with a liar. It's over 140 pages too.

I won't elaborate any more, if you're interested look it up.

EDIT: OT, but has anyone heard of the film Tim Roth was in before (what Lie To Me was probably based on/the reason Roth was cast for LTM), the film was called Liar? Now THAT'S a good film...

Last edited: May 17, 2011
    digibucc says thanks.
  12. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    So you pick somebody off the street, waterboard, make him/her admit something silly and you got yourself a liar. 100% success.

digibucc and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  13. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    OP, I hope you are aware that by drawing this to our attention you are also forewarning any liars, who will undoubtedly be on their guard and keep tell-tale signs and involuntary gestures to a minimum now that they know what we, as honest people, are looking for.

It should also be borne in mind that such detection methods are by no means foolproof, given that certain gestures or behavioural traits might have a number of explanations: grooming may simply indicate nervousness when interacting with other people, rather than a lie.

14. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    You can spot if a person is just nervous, or really lying.
    Also, you would have to undergo decades of training to control your body language. Its really not that easy.

15. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Or just be a psycho. They are great liars as they honestly don't give a damn about the murder they just committed or the punishment they could receive.

16. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I find this common knowledge :slap:

17. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I've known one or two people I'd categorize as pathological liars. They could convince themselves that whatever they said was true, so (honestly, LOL), they didn't even think they were lying!!! It was almost impossible to distinguish truth from lies, unless you already knew the truth... messed up.

18. twilyth Guest

That's where you use the interview techniques. Even if they have no emotional reactions, it still creates what they call a cognitive burden to try to create the details of a story and keep them consistent. And some things like the eye movements Hammeron linked to are probably involuntary. Even if the person is aware of these cues, it might be impossible to suppress them completely. Plus, suppression creates even more of a cognitive burden.

19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Love that show, can't believe it's cancelled. Now I would be lying if I said that Americans had good taste in television shows. That's why great shows like Jersey Shore remain on the air and lame shows where you have to think and be somewhat intelligent to watch get cancelled.

20. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    They forgot to mention people who wink ;)

21. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I've known such people as well. Still know a few, they seem to honestly believe their own crap. The thing is, some people are actually impressed by their bullshit claims.

22. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    So, if they believe in their own crap, how do you know they are dishonest? What are the tells?

23. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    it's impossible to genuinely believe your own lies unless you are, quite literally, a psychopath.

anything short of being psychopathic and having absolutely zero empathy, and there will
    be tells, as they will never truly, 100% believe their lies. it's mental illness that makes
    the difference.

note: as dan said "seem" to believe, meaning it was possible to tell that it wasn't true by observation.

24. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    They have countless improbable stories, once a few don't check out you start to get a feeling for the amount of crap they share. It then turns into a story about a boy who cries wolf. Nobody believes those people anymore, even when they are telling the truth for once.

25. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    I had a room mate in school that was a chronic liar and made stuff up. I caught him all the time and had to sit him down and explain that he needed to work on a few things. He was a major bull shittter. One of his tells was his stutter and that was a problem as well.