1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to turn off system power 100% the normal way

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by gasolin, Oct 6, 2012.

1. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Can't seem to shut down my pc 100% b(not on my pc but in windows) beacuse when i turn off my pc with a Asus P7H55 mb theres still light in my steelseries shift, which anoyed me extremely when i had a gigabyte g41 mb with the same problem.

Hope someone could help me, i don't want to use power when i have turned of my pc
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    All new boards leave the usb hot. It draws from the +5VSB of your powersupply. The only fix for most boards is to flip the switch on the back of the powersupply. It isn't a problem there is no glitch your system is doing exactly what it was designed to do.
    eidairaman1 says thanks.
  3. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    On some motherboards there is a switch or jumper to enable/disable +5VSB for USB. My motherboard doesn't provide +5VSB to USB which kinda sucks cause I can't charge my mouse with my PC off.

If you set these jumpers to +5V, it should only provide power to USB while the PC is on if I'm reading that right. This is only going to affect USB devices. Your PC will still use some power. The only way to use no power would be to flip the switch on the PSU.
    [​IMG]
    gasolin says thanks.
  4. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Simply do a normal shut down and then put the switch on the PSU and/or power plug extender on "off".
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

^ this
  6. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Also forgot to mention, that my wd my book 500gb usb harddrive dosn't shut down either and when i had the samme problem with my gigabyte g41 mb i had installed the charge when your pc is off app and newer reinstalled the newest bios or an old one trying to fix the problem, uninstall the app didn't help
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    That is because the external HDD doesn't get power from the computer. Get a power chord with multiple outlets and a power switch on it and switch it off when you're not using it.

[​IMG]
  8. gasolin

Thanks Received:
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So it's a smaller drive that gets the power from USB? If so yes it wouldn't shut down if the USB power doensn't shut down. Look at maban's post above.
  10. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    It's a Wd my book 3.5", i will try the switches later today
  11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ok ive had a adapted laptop HD for external storage and whenever id power off the laptop the drive wouldnt power down till i flipped the switch on the drive itself(because it was running off of wall power) if the device is USB powered and the machines USB ports dont shut off after power down the drive wont shut down in most cases.

Easiest solution is to use the power switch on the external drive itself or just unplug the drive from the USB port
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    people need to stop explaining this. the points already been made - the USB ports staying on is normal behaviour, done so that people can charge their phones and such.

he needs to do his own work here in finding a solution that works for him out of the ones provided, repeating the information is getting us nowhere.
  13. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    +1
    I ALWAYS cut the power to the computer when off & in most cases is the best unless you need to wake by LAN or charge something via USB
    In my case due the mouse top LED stayed on, then I always do that and better, beside the PC doesn't consume any standby power which can be relatively high as on TVs and such.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  14. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    +1

if you want to totally disconnect, turn off the PSU from the back.
  15. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Just the usb always power on, gone try the jumper thing when i get my new gpu
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    my computer in S3 sleep state only uses 6W of power.

yes, you save power by turning it off at the wall - but its not a lot.
  17. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, it worked #3
    Maban says thanks.