1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to view signal from y S-Video port on my graphics card?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by minstreless, Dec 25, 2009.

1. minstreless

Thanks Received:
    I've got a DV-recorder with S-Video port/cable connected to my PC graphics' card S-video port... I can hear sound from my speakers, but how do I view the DV-recorder material on my PC when I've connected the DV-recorder to my S-video port? Are there any applications that allows me to make the DV-recorder appear on my PC-screen?

And YES, I do NOT have a firewire port like I am supposed to have, but I should be able to view the video from my DV-recorder on my PC, right?

Help me... I am not sure how I can find the S-video port ont that's on my graphics card! How do I do make the video appear on my PC?!

2. ty_ger

Thanks Received:
    The S-video port on your video card is a graphics OUT port. It can transmit the signal from your graphics card out to a display such as a TV using the S-video port. It does not and CAN NOT be used as a graphics IN port.

The only way you can configure your computer to display the image directly from an external device is with a video capture/tv tuner card. You must buy this card and install it in your computer in order to stream video directly to your computer and view it.

3. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    ... or through an USB or Firewire cable... that usely comes with the cam

4. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:

You could buy an Adaptor Firewire to USB if that does exist?

But best way will be to buy an PCI card with some firewire ports on it.

5. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The graphic card might have input support, if the card has ViVo then input mode is supported (ViVo not Avivo).
    You need to check your brand and model (I'm not sure but many ATi cards support ViVo, dunno about nVidia).
    ATi Theater/AllInWonder models have video in for sure, in either cases you need special drivers, WDM ones, I think.
    Hope this helps.

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Could you post the model of your DV-recorder then people should be able help you better. Thinking it might have another type of video out put.