1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How would I figure out electricity usage?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JackAttack, Feb 26, 2010.

1. JackAttack

JackAttack New Member

Thanks Received:
    A fellow on here brought up an interesting point in another thread. He said he is using too much electricity with his pc.
    Got me to thinking...I wonder what my true cost per year is to run my machine 8 hours a day.

Has anyone done a study before on TPU?

Where would I start to figure out the cost?

I would have to know the watts drawn on every item in the pc I think, where would I get this actual information?

2. Half Live

Half Live

Thanks Received:
  3. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Check what your PC uses on average, check prices per KWH. Multiply.

4. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Kill-a-watt device. Google it. There are hundreds of'em out there for you to buy.

In general, I build a PC that would not exceed 200watt at peak, and that limits me to buy video card with only one PCI-E power connector which are HD 4850, HD 5770, or GTS 250).

Having run a server farm at home previously, I know the importance of power efficient PCs first hand. I learned it the hard way when I had to pay 500+ CAD for powerbill.
    And because of that, when I see someone bragging about their PCs using hundreds of watt, it makes me shake my head.

5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    in my opinion the most important number is idle power draw , because that's the state your pc will be in most of the day. most meters have a kwh recording mode, run your pc over a few days through the killawatt and it will show you the number of kwh that you consumed in that time which should give a more accurate view than the snapshot values using watt seconds

6. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Hardware makers are just now starting to realize that their customers don't want their gear to be huge watt hogs when they are idling. You can build a basic i3 machine now that idles down below 40 watts. ATI's 5xxx series of video cards is also very good about their watts when idling.

7. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    interesting topic, i got a killawatt myself, biggest worry is when quad core is overclocked to its MAXIMUM and is used 100% with the video card to crunch and fold,,, otherwise, if u r just a casual user and dont fold or crunch with ur pc u should not worry about bills

8. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    PC in the specs draws around 200w normally, 300w while gaming. It's never idle, so I don't know what it is.

Another box, a P4D 3.2Ghz (C1 stepping, 95w) draws 170w normally, about 200w while gaming (9500GT). While it's never idle as well, I measured it right after a fresh install - 115w.

The third box 'always on' box has a P4D 2.8Ghz (95w) and uses a IGP, so it's normal is a bit less than the other system.

Some months ago I EOL'd my two dual Prestonia Xeon boxes. Too much power used for performance given. Can't measure my Phenom boxes, boards are being RMA'd.

Electricity here is $0.10 per KWh. So $0.01 for every 100w, per hour. Systems, along with monitors, switch, router, modem, and other, I'm estimating about $1.68 per day (700w). Next time I can power down the two systems connected to my UPS, I'll plug in my meter and get a reading of everything connected.

Heh, it's my least important number. If I had idling boxes, they would be configured to sleep for some single-digit draw numbers.

9. JayliN New Member

Thanks Received:
    My current rig idles at 67 watts and runs 8 threads of WCG at 105 watts. At a rate of $.18 KWh, thats $8.68/month if I left my computer idle or $13.6/month if I left it folding all day.

My LCD monitor draws 65 watts. I would say my electric costs to run the whole system is anywhere from $13-$20/month. I don't have actual numbers yet because this rig is recently built and I've been stress testing it a lot.