1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How's this build?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Harreh, Jul 5, 2013.

1. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Watch it. cdawall is very respected at TPU. I will drop kick you in the jaw!
    Aleksander, cdawall and d1nky say thanks.
  2. Harreh

Harreh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay I can see there are plenty of great options for PSU... Seasonic 660W platinum, XFX 650W ProSeries etc. A fanless option would be sweet so if that's in the realm of possibility then sweet. I'll check that out.

I think SSD, HDD and RAM (and optical?) can easily be ironed out at some point.
    So all I can see that needs attention is the no doubt noisy windforce card.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Some PSUs come with fan but will only spin up if things get loaded heavily, you should look around for those too. I can't think of one off the top of my head though. 500w is more than plenty if you are not going to get another graphics card in the future.

Edit: if you want a good silent air cooler look at Be Quiet dark rock 2
  4. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    most seasonics and XFX pro series have 'hybrid' fan modes on a switch.

TBH who cares if a PSU is too much for a system, theres headroom.

this xfx i have is seasonic inside, cheaper, hybrid fan which means it has hit a certain load for the fan to turn on (1050watts with my system means the system needs to be fully loaded for it to happen lol)

and because of the overkill it never gets hot and is always silent, but im not worried about noise tbh.

and about the cards, dont a pair of 770s beat a titan for less cash! reviews would show the quietest
  5. Harreh

Harreh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  6. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    xfx 750 does and is cheaper than seasonic

i use jonnyguru for psu choices

and while youre looking at both brands check the back modular parts/switches etc and see how similar xfx and seasonic are

my 1050watt xfx is the same as the platinum 1050w inside, same cable schematics everything apart from caps apparently!#

and ya from england?! i advise aria, dabs, OCUK as my top online stores and this for comparison http://uk.hardware.info/
  7. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I mistook one post for yours on the 600w perfect bit, but serves you right for misquoting me. Again, I never said 700w, I said 600. Where did you come up with this 600-700 crap?

If you're referring to the Corsair 750w, that was merely a PSU that happened to be part of a well priced bundle. You also seem to be admitting that either way about the same money is spent on a low watt higher quality unit, or high watt unit of acceptable quality, so I really don't get why you're harping so much.

One scenario can result in the higher quality unit running at close to peak loads for sustained periods, the other scenario an acceptable quality unit running at very comfortable loads for extended periods. Either way there's no trouble really, until the got to be a Seasonic Gold or Platinum fanboys jump into the discussion that is.

Says the guy whom desperately tries to look tough in his avatar, while appearing to be blushing. Or maybe you just don't know how to prepare for a bit of sunshine. Either way, it doesn't feel convincing when you act tough. Just sayin. LOL

Yeah I got my XFX 850w Black Edition based on a 10/10 performance rating at jonnyGURU, and it's silver rated and beats a lot of higher end units on performance and value. This got a have a Gold, Platinum Seasonic, etc, talk is misleading really.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  8. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    (That Seasonic that I recommended is on special through today, I think.)
    I think you did a great job of component selection for "after some rigorous (yet incomplete) research a machine designed to balance acoustics with intense performance."

That's what W1zzard had to say about the GPU that you chose.

IMHO, you will need to focus on air movement through the case so that the case does not heat up which will in turn keep the other fans from needing to spin up. A fan controller may be your best bet - keep the fans slow while not gaming and crank them up when you are. A couple of these should help:
    Corsair AF140 Quiet Series Low Noise High Airflow "Included voltage step-down adapter for even quieter operation."
    I like, but I've never used the NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller I like it's simplicity.
    NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller might look better with the R4
  9. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
  10. Harreh

Harreh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could be valid as the R4's controller is just one three-way switch between voltages.

I dunno :confused:

And good shout on W1zzard's review.
  11. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Hey, what's with all the misplaced hate and/or distrust for Listan/BeQuiet? They make some solid stuff, and the Dark Power Pro P10 is a top-tier line in every way. It is not overpriced for what it offers. If you don't believe me, there are reviews aplenty: 550W (1, 2, 3); 650W. There are more out there, but this should suffice. BTW, the 550W one is more than enough for what the OP is trying to accomplish.

I agree that Corsair, XFX and Seasonic all sell/make good stuff, but just because a manufacturer is not as well-known to you doesn't mean it's not as good.
  12. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Actually it is, there are other units with lower ripple and just as much if not better build quality at a lower price.
  13. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    They aren't bad units the argument that they are bad is invalid they work well, just not as well as some other models. :laugh:
  14. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    basicly it is the same in every fan controller. voltage is reduced so that fans spin at lower rpm. difference is that your controller has 3 fixed voltages while some 3rd party controlers offer fluent voltage control.
  15. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I never said they were bad, as per my posts # 2 and 4 here. They're just priced too high for their performance level. Maybe you don't pay much attention to the prices better performing units can be had for though. You should really read some of the better bench tests instead of misinterpreting people's posts.

Funny that you use a mocking Smilie when you don't even read what I'm saying, and end up admitting they don't perform as well as some anyway. It just so happens some of those better performing units are cheaper too. Go ahead and throw away money on over priced stuff. That deserves a Smilie of it's own> :rolleyes:
  16. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Might consider watercooling if you really want quieter performance, integrating your graphics card into a watercooling loop with some good fans would work well.
  17. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    FYI:
    LINK It is quieter than the Gigabyte.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  18. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Odd that a 770 is mentioned in the quote when the card tested in your link is a 780.

Maybe you copied the quote from the wrong review. They tested the 770 model too, and it came out 1db quieter at load than the 780 (although same at idle). http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_770_TF_Gaming/25.html

The biggest tradeoff is the 770 is limited to only 2GB VRAM, while the 780 has 3GB. The 780 Gaming seems a good all rounder, but it's odd that it performs slightly below a stock 780 at 1080p on Last Light and Crysis 3, while it pulls ahead the stock unit on all other resolutions.
    thebluebumblebee says thanks.
  19. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    :eek: :slap:Thanks, fixed. I read the review of the '780 Gaming and thought of this thread, pulled up the '770 Gaming review and saw that it was quieter than the Gigabyte version. I should have closed the '780 review before I started to copy and paste.
  20. Harreh

Harreh New Member

Thanks Received:
    All good stuff however the Gigabyte 770 I chose is actually the 4GB model and a tad cheaper than the MSI.

Swings and roundabouts :p

Also the price change from the Samsung 840 250GB to the pro version seems a bit steep. £50 more for essentially double the write speed?

Same goes for green to black. £35 for faster r/w?

I suppose I'd keep my sample library on the HDD so it doesn't take up space on the SSD. Plus all the music/video I have (which is mostly flac/mkv).
  21. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I'd run the cheaper storage options to save money. You probably won't notice much.
  22. Harreh

Harreh New Member

Thanks Received:
    As long as I can run a large multi-sampled instrument then we're golden :)

(This wasn't possible on my laptop with a 5200rpm HDD)
  23. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    if you want to save, save from dealer or from transport not from quality.
    [​IMG]
    cheaper alway becomes more expensive at the end.

840 is 250gb older gen ssd. 840pro is 256gb latest gen offered by samsung with newest memory chips and controller. if you dig more into ssds you will find that controller means a lot for ssds, for both performance and longevity.

wd green comes with 2 years warranty, black comes with 5. would wd give +3 years warranty to black if only difference was better speed?
    it isnt always about speed. some times it is for how long speed will be higher ;)

at the begging you said that you dont have price limits so we suggest here improvements over your base configuration but money are yours so last word how to spend em is yours.

edit: and full build
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  24. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    3-4 year old Sata1 SSd's still ticking along quite nicely at rated speeds, so don't know where you get your information from, also blacks fail as much as greens, main difference is speed in caching and writing, warranty on HDD's is hardly an issue, most that are going to fail fail within the first 3 months, those that don't will likely go on to lead full hdd lifes ;)
  25. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    The 4GB Giga can be had for less than that, and that's definitely not a very good price on the MSI, I've seen it for under 330 pounds from at least two UK vendors, incl VAT.

MSI 770 Gaming
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...hz-gddr5-gpu-1098mhz-boost-1150mhz-cores-1536

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...ds/nvidiagtx770keplerseries/n770tf2gd5oc.html

Gigabyte 770 4GB
    http://www.h-online.com/priceinsigh...70-windforce-3x-oc-gv-n770oc-4gd-a957527.html

If you look at best pricing on each, the correct scenario is around 330 lbs for the MSI Gaming and 380 lbs for the Giga 4GB, so you do in fact pay more for it. For us in the US it would be equivalent to $75 more.

That said, after experiencing 3GB VRAM with my 7970, I don't think I could settle for 2GB. Nvidia need to get up to speed on their reference chipsets.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013