1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP Kills TouchPad, Could Spin Off PC Business

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Aug 19, 2011.

?

Do you think HP is wise in spinning off its PC business?

1. Yes, it has been the least profitable despite being fetching the most revenue

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. No, HP was a well-established brand

20 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. I don't care, I don't buy pre-built

33 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    I second that, the last HP laptop i bought was the HP Pavillion DV6000series, which was fundamentally flawed, since the GPU would eventually die, due to bad cooling design, one had to personally add a copper base to the gpu...

2. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    so Compaq is making a comeback lol

3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Actually no their not..... CompaQ merged with HP back in 2001. If HP were to spin off the PC business. CompaQ would also be gone.

4. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    This is Dell:
    http://content.dell.com/us/en/corp/d/secure/fiscal12q2_release.aspx

This is HP:
    http://h30261.www3.hp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=71087&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1598003

There's no money in the PC market. Fact.

5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i guess its the time for HP to get focus on other like printer and other stuff

6. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    I think HP should go all in with webOS as a software package for mobile devices. With google buying up motorola's mobile division, I'm sure a lot of cell phone/tablet/pmp makers are going to be a bit upset and interested in finding a new alternative, lest they find themselves at the mercy of mighty google who will no longer really need them. Plus with the touchpad firesale, there will suddenly be hundreds of thousands of webOS devices out there already establishing the brand. They really could take advantage of this and turn things around and become a successful mobile device software provider.

7. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    I snagged a couple of the few touch pads remaining yesterday :)

8. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    6 for me lol :laugh:

9. WarraWarra New Member

Thanks Received:
    For those that is interested there is a few guys trying to port android to the HP touchpad.
    "TouchDroid"

Anyone can do it, take a SDK version like galaxy tab or CM7, use the current linux kernel zImage, add dual boot then edit and or replace a few /system/lib + /system/lib/hw from similar hardware and that is about it. :rockout:
    Just make sure you have a good init file for the HP Touchpad.

O by the way why is everyone so excited about less than USD$87~$130 touchpads and mobile phones there is 30 or more that falls into this category and most have actual DVB-T and many more features than what Apple would ever dream off + not limited by USA broadcasting law, tax complications and other bogus excuses.

Technologically we are at the bottom of the snail slime list of country's here.

10. xtremesv

xtremesv

Thanks Received:
    Difficult times are coming for the PC.

As I've already predicted, within a decade we'll be playing Crysis V on an iPad 10 using some sort of dedicated cloud service... wireless mirroring will be enough to watch the game in its full glory on an 80" AMOLED 3D TV. Of course, desktop computing won't die but it's gonna be considered retro.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy stocks from any company focused on PC's or parts of them.

11. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:

Which reminds us, again, that Gingerbread is clunky on tablets and Honeycomb is still closed source. HAIL OPENNESS!