1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP shows off tiny wireless memory chip

Discussion in 'News' started by Darksaber, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A chip the size of a grain of rice that can store 100 pages of text and swaps data via wireless has been developed by Hewlett-Packard. The chip could be used to ensure drugs have not been counterfeited, on patient wristbands in hospitals or to add sounds or video to postcards, said HP. The chip, developed by the Memory Spot research team at HP, is 2-4mm square and current versions can hold up to 512 kilobytes of data. Do not hold your breath for it, as it is still around 2 years away from being a finished product.
    [​IMG]

Source: BBC News
  2. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    By wireless chip, do they mean it's powerful enough to connect to general wireless networks or is it very short range? Either way, it could be the start of something good for PDAs and laptops.
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Good question - my suspicion is a non-standard protocol (which would suck), and doubful much of a range because of power limitations.

Slightly OT - The problem with the Pet ID radio frequency tags is that different companies use different read protocols, so the vets are in a lurch as which manufacturers to support, as they can't afford to buy each type!

I guess the big news is the bi-directional capability, wireless and relatively large data capacity for the size.
  4. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    They're very short range, and rely on recieving the radio signal of the other peice of equipment as it's power source.

Sounds mildly interesting. I don't want one in my wrist when i go to hospital tho >.<
  5. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Big brother is watching... just wait till they start implanting these in babies.
  6. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you were born in A hospital you all ready have a chip implanted dont you ever read the "Sun" when your in line at super markit?
  7. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    It was for chips in your WRISTBAND, not your WRIST.:banghead:

8. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    :roll: