1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hrrmmm... RAM problem?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Rinnerz, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Rinnerz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A60-772 which I purchased probably 3 years ago now. It has always run beautifully for me, although I eventually wanted a memory upgrade since it only came with 512MB of onboard memory. (64MB is shared with the video card.)

A few months ago, I finally decided to shell out the cash for another 512MB of RAM, since the laptop has one memory expansion slot. I couldn't find any official documentation from Toshiba stating what RAM is compatible with this thing; after awhile of searching, I was told that either DDR333 or DDR533 should work.

Anyway, long story short: I planned on getting DDR333 just to be safe, but no one had it locally. The closest I could find was DDR400, so I tried that. For a month, I had absolutely NO problems, but then... random B.S.O.Ds starting occuring.

At first they pointed to my video card drivers, so I completely uninstalled those and reinstalled the latest ones I could find. Then they pointed to nothing at all, and gave no info other than STOP error messages. Note that every single time these B.S.O.Ds occured, I wasn't even at my computer; I'd come back from somewhere and find a B.S.O.D. just waiting for me. The only programs running when I leave my laptop on are Windows Live Messenger, AVG, GMail Notifier and, sometimes, Windows Defender. Today's B.S.O.D. was a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.

The B.S.O.Ds seem extremely random. I've Googled the messages they give me, and there seems to always be the chance that it's the RAM module(s). What's worse is... I decided to doublecheck to make sure that DDR400 was compatible with my system, and I can't even seem to find where I originally read that the DDR533 is compatible. Now all anyone is saying is that DDR333 should be used.

Is it possible that these B.S.O.Ds could be caused solely because I chose the wrong RAM speed? I always figured if it was incompatible then it wouldn't have even booted, let alone worked fine for a month.

^_^ Thanks in advance for any input given.

2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    try downloading the everest free proggie,it will tell you what speed the stick/s of ram are in your lappie.the bsods could be coz its not two matched sticks of ram and the lappie is trying to run them duel channel?

3. Rinnerz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check Everest, but I know the new stick is at 400MHz, and from what I've read the onboard memory should be at 333MHz. Also, I highly doubt this laptop even supports dual channel.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  4. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    also i would suspect the battery, at 3 yrs old it probably is ready to go out and could be your issue

if this were desktop i would say its a psu problem but its a laptop

i think the ram speed is not incorrect but it could be defective. although i dont know much about a laptop

5. Rinnerz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe. It used to last about 3 hours but only lasts an hour or so now. I've never really cared, since I don't "need" the portability anymore; it stays plugged in most of the time. None of these BSODs have occured when the laptop was running on battery power.

I'm just trying to figure out if a difference in RAM speeds would cause this kind of problem...