1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HSF in space?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Solaris17, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    ok i just had a random thought...iv actually been thinking of this for weeks but always forget to post.

now bare with me...ok so in space

its absolute 0 ~ -270ºk

now satillites HBO communications internet....all these satillits need a processor to well process this.... now my question is..in satillites do they use or even need heatsinks and fans? i mean honestly...i dont know if you can get any colder than -270k

wait i lied absolute 0 is 0k i dont know what i was thinking.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think they use HSF just in case it overheats. As far as I know they actually use insulation to keep the electronics from becoming so cold they won't work.
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  3. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well...there isn't air in space, so I doubt a heatsink+fan would work.

What is important is protection from radiation, otherwise it is very cold there.
  4. Graogrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some satellites actually need special radiators to get rid of excess heat. The problem is that while yeah, space is cold, a vacuum isn't a very good conductor of heat, so it builds up.

Edit: Oh, if you're talking absolute zero, it's 0 degrees Kelvin and -273 and a fraction degrees Celsius.
  5. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    HSF???

Yes, they use HeatSink Fan setups in space to blow super cold space air across hot components in space, where there is no atmosphere.

:p
  6. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn you beat me to the punch
  7. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    One thing you have not factored in is - the sun! One of the biggest problems any space bound object will have is, the side that faces the sun gets incredibly hot, while the side in shadow is incredibly cold.

This is why most satellites etc are white to reflects as much solar heat (radiation) as possible.

Also the payloads will be wrapped in a metalic (gold) foil to give further protection.

The actual cooling is all provided by the circulation of liquids to transfer the heat to colder parts and if extra heat is needed either solar panels or on board batteries power heaters.