1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HTPC Questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    So I just finished putting together the HTPC in my system specs but I have a question regarding audio. We had some speakers a while ago but they were junk so I decided to scrap them, now they're on their way to the NY dump. I'm not sure how I can get audio through the integrated TV speakers. We do have a receiver if that matters. I'll be connecting the PC to the TV via a DVI connection.
  2. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Well, does the TV have an audio input of some kind? What kinds of inputs does the TV have? A pic of the TV's connectors would be extremely helpful.
    Kantastic says thanks.
  3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Too bad it doesn't have HDMI, that would make things much simpler. The TV would have to have an audio input, like a 3 plug RCA or component line in to send the signal to the internal speakers.

You could fenegal something but if you have a receiver I suggest using your SPDIF line for sound straight to the receiver/speakers.
    Kantastic says thanks.
  4. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    The TV is a Sony KF-50WE620.

I'd kill the wooden floorboards if I slide the TV stand out far enough for a picture, then I'd get killed by my old man. :laugh:

I did manage to find a cable that had 3 plugs on both ends, they look like PC analog but shorter and are red white and yellow I believe. I don't know how to hook the PC to the receiver though. I also have no idea what SPDIF or RCA are.
  5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Well chances are if it has a DVI input there is a 3.5mm input somewhere next to it. All you would need is a 3.5mm Stereo Cable (male - male) plug one end to the speaker out on the comp and one into the back of the TV.

Upon further investigation this may not be the case :laugh: That is quite an old set :ohwell:
    Kantastic says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V0G2C4/?tag=tec06d-20

Just pick up one of those, radioshack should have them in stock, run it from the speaker output on the motherboard to the red/white sound input connectors on the TV. If that doesn't work, run it to the reciever instead.
    Kantastic says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    But I can't tell if the DVI input has an audio input associated with it. So if the TV is displaying DVI, what audio input is is outputting? Probably nothing. Connecting the computer audio to another input while using DVI wouldn't work either.

He has a receiver, but no speakers. So sending the audio to the receiver won't get you anywhere. (I don't mean to bash you newtekie)

I think the best solution here is to drop back to analog video. Get a card that has a component video out (or S-video) and then use the adapter that Newtekie linked to. That would work.
    Kantastic says thanks.
  8. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Seriously? All RCA Component's are Red, White, and Yellow. SPDIF is a digital sound signal and a must for almost all HTPC setups that connect a PC to a receiver. Check your motherboard's i/o to see if it has SPDIF. Most newer boards have this.
    Kantastic says thanks.
  9. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to give Newtekie's suggestion a shot. I have nothing to lose but $3. :laugh:

Right now I have another problem. No matter what resolution I try while the PC is hooked to the TV, nothing is a perfect fit. I was given an ATI TV Wonder 600 USB tv tuner thing with the stuff I bought but apparently it's not supported in W7 (and never will be, thanks ATI).

Is there a solution for that?
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I looked in the manual for his TV before posting, it has left and right audio connector right next to the DVI port for Input 7(the DVI input). The only reason I said if that doesn't work use the reciever is because the ports might be dead, I wasn't aware the reciever has no speakers connected, where was that stated?

The panel is either 1280x720 or 1366x768, so try one of those two resolutions and make sure the refresh rate is as high as possible.
    angelkiller says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Ah, you found a manual. I was unable to. Your solution would work, and is the best/simplest/easiest solution.

From the OP:
    OP doesn't explicitly say that the receiver didn't have any speakers. But I made the assumption that the speakers he threw away went to the receiver. I see no reason he would want to play his computer's audio over the TV's speakers if the OP had a receiver and speakers.
    Kantastic says thanks.
  12. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Ah, see I made the assumption that the speakers he was talking about were just standard computer speakers, and the reciever was soemthing unrelated. Oh well, hooking it directly up to the TV is the best option anyway, so it doesn't matter.:toast:

Yeah, the manual was a real pain in the ass to find, just like most sony manuals.
    Kantastic says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    RCA/Composite are the red-white-yellow cables. yellow is video.

stereo is what your pc outputs (3.6mm)

the dvi connection should have an RCA audio input (red.white)

you can get a cable for like 15$ from the shack, best buy, etc - that ocnverts stereo output to rca input. that should be all you need.
    Kantastic says thanks.
  14. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I ordered a cable off Amazon last night and paid for 2 day shipping. I didn't order the exact one newtekie (thanks again) linked to rather one eligible for Prime and was 12 feet.

It was a stereo-male to RCA-male cable so I'm assuming the audio issue is resolved.

Right now the problem is the resolution. I can't seem to find the right res!