1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hum Noise

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Moose, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Moose

Moose New Member

Thanks Received:
    It isn't really much of an issue but my computer hums, up till now i just thought it the PSU or Case fans (its a fan like noise) but as tonight im going to be sleeping with it next to my ear again for a d/l I thought lets try and find out what dam component wakes me up!

So I:
    Stopped PSU fan, no effect
    Unplugged case fans, no effect
    Turned right down water cooling fan, no effect (its not this btw as this is out of the case)
    Stopped GPU fan, no effect

I then listened to the HD the water pump and the dvd drives and each produced a peticular very quiet sound. So I've ruled out every single component in my computer! The sound seems to eminate from everywhere inside the box! Anyone hazard a guess at what it is?
  2. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nothing to worry about, probably just electical/system noise. When i fist built this machine i had a high pitch sqeek for about 3 weeks before it went, now that was annoying !
  3. Moose

Moose New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm I think it may be something moving as it waxes and wanes but the HD chittering occurs at same time but I expect it is it! Meh if I wasn't getting such a great d/l speed in this (entirey legal :p) torrent I would reboot without HD plugged in to see!
  4. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    If you think its something moving, start touching areas of the case to see if vibrations stop or get quieter.
  5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    its the hdd...or your GF under your bed

at anyrate it isnt anything to worry about..the system will make noise...even if it isnt a moving object...but trust me ;) im 90% sure its your hdd's most os's have a feature that shuts down HDD's when their idle...if you have a second its probably the other disks spooling up for something. it happens all the time..my hdd's do it occasionally as i just formated so i havent turned the feature off yet. and if you dont have a second hdd then its probably just your drive seeking.
  6. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    make sure the HDD and ODD are tight. If there not it can cause some wired sounds. Also how is the pump mounted?
    whats he to do if its his gf
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Steal the batteries out of her toy? :roll:
  8. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It'll be the HD. The case is acting like a sounding board magnifying the sound. Now due to the nature of sound propagation, putting your ear next to it destroys the effect, but as you move away, the more obvious the effect.

This is how you prove it:

• Turn PC on and go into the BIOS menu to prevent Windows booting
    • Stand back and listen to the hum
    • Now unplug the HD power connector, leaving the PC on
    • Stand back again - the hum has gone!
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    My computer makes annoying noise too. I run WCG and F@H GPU and it produces a high pitched whine for some reason, but it's weird... I can only hear it when my head is in a certain spot.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It could be anything from somthing sitting on top of the case, in close proximity to the case, or a cable that the case is causing to vibrate. I'd put my hand on everything loose in the case to see if it stops, or dampens it until you find the culprit.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Moose

Moose New Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting that you say its the case rattling coz somethimes I do have another sound that is the case rattling I just stop it by hsutting the door harder.

I will boot without a HD and tell results.

*Looks under bed* Sadly, lack of gf :(
  12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    That's very high pitched bearing noise that you can hear. It's very directional and faint and your ears can only pick it up from certain angles too. If you put the drive outside of its case and stick your ear against it, you'll hear clearly.
  13. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Wait, girlfriends spawn underneath beds? Oh man I've been doing things wrong for years. Damn parents not teaching me right.
  14. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    wish they did. I have 2 beds so i could have a GF under each bed... That could be fun if they didn't find out about each other
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    That'd be great indeed, but the questions I have are if you have one out from under the bed too long, does your bed spawn a new one? Would you then have 2 to deal with and if so, are they clones (twins) or different girls?

Re-railing the thread, OP, any updates on the mysterious hum? You could leave things like case fans unplugged while you narrow down your noise maker.
  16. Moose

Moose New Member

Thanks Received:
    It turn out that it was my water pump, it slightly vibrates and as its touching case it make the whole thing hum if held in hand the hum stops. I'm going to put a layer of cotton wool under it, yes u heard me im going to have a fluffy layer at the bottom of my pc :p

Actually decided against this.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009