1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hyper 212+ issues (high temps)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Apotheoun, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Apotheoun New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to install a hyper 212+ on a 2500k but the temps are always 40-45C at idle. No matter how much thermal paste I use it's always there. I tighten the screws down until I can't move them anymore with a couple fingers on the screwdriver. Anyone know why I'm having issues?
    I've used a grain of rice size of TIM, spread it over the CPU, spread it over the heatsink, and put small lines between the lines on the heatsink and same issue everytime.
  2. unclewebb

unclewebb RealTemp Author

Thanks Received:
    Intel does not use temperature sensors that are 100% accurate when a CPU is lightly loaded or idle. These sensors are only intended to be used for thermal throttling and thermal shutdown control. It's quite possible that the sensors on your CPU read a little high at idle. It's nothing to be concerned about. Time to do some full load testing. If there is an actual problem, it will show up when the CPU is overclocked and fully loaded.
    BUCK NASTY and Jetster say thanks.
  3. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    What are your load temps like?
  4. Apotheoun New Member

Thanks Received:
    @unclewebb But my other computer that has the stock 2500k cooler on it idles at 32C.

@SonDa5 I haven't even booted into OS yet with it because the temps are so high at idle.
  5. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    That's your problem, way too much paste. The small dab goes on the CPU only, and you don't spread it, the cooler will do the spreading as you tighten it. It is a good idea with direct touch heat pipes to fill the void in between the pipes, but make sure you don't use too much. I used to put tiny lines between each pipe, then squeegee it off with a card.
  6. Apotheoun New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried again with just a rice size spot on the CPU and squeegeed into the heat pipes and with 2 fans in push/pull its at 41C idle.
  7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Idle temps do not matter. :shadedshu

Its what it does under a load. You can use Prime95 for load test

And no need to spread anything. Grain of rice size in the middle of the CPU and let the HS spread it
  8. Apotheoun New Member

Thanks Received:
    The BIOS was reading the temps wrong. I updated the BIOS to latest version and it's running at 26C idle now. Thanks everyone though.
  9. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    The bios temps will be different than in windows as there no power management used . So if will go down quiet a bit because of lower clock speeds and voltages .
  10. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Hyper 212+ in push pull should be around 30degC in idle state after a bit of gaming or stress testing.
    That's what mine hovers around at idle and I'm hopeless at installing the heat sink.
  11. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

the problem lies within the mounting system of the CM Hyper 212+/EVO; it doesn't matter how hard you tighten the screws, the cooler can swivel several degrees (you will notice this if you tried to mount the fans on the cooler) and that swivel may cause the issue which results in relatively higher temperatures.

So maybe it's an idea to rma the cooler (if you can) and exchange it for a different one, preferably with a better mounting system.
  12. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I've mounted a couple Hyper 212's, and you're right, they always have enough give to slide around a bit, but I've never had this affect the temps that way. One time I did get the bracket backwards and it was holding it very tight with no movement, but it had no display output, until I re-installed the 212 the right way. So maybe you don't want it that tight as it could damage the mobo.
  13. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I expect after market coolers to swivel if they to not have some sort of bracket which locks all four corners of the heatsink down.

Both my Tuniq Tower 120 and CM Hyper 212+ swivel if some pressure is applied.
  14. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Post a photo of the inside of your case. It could be an air flow problem in your case.
  15. HeaterKeda New Member

Thanks Received:
    it will show up when the CPU is overclocked and fully loaded.[​IMG]
  16. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
  17. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Excessive temps
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:

He did not refer to any reply though. If you read the thread through, I had mentioned could be poor air flow.
  19. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    He does not have an idle temps problem any more, read post 8, problem was solved with Bios update.... false readings.