• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

System Name Cooler Master Elite (case name)
Processor Amd 1090T X6 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3
Cooling oversize fans
Memory 16 gigs ddr3 2000Mhz
Video Card(s) 2 - nvidia gtx 560's sli 2 gigs each video memory
Storage 6 - terabytes sata
Display(s) samsung syncmaster 2330 hd monitor
Case coolermaster elite
Audio Device(s) realtek on-board
Power Supply coolermaster 1000 watts
Software windows 7 64- bit enterprise
Benchmark Scores not available at this time.
To erykos:

I would think a single 750ti would easily handle this game, your current cpu will probably be fine.

ragequitr2

To jbailey8:

Thank you for the download link, but now when I try to run install.cmd, it give me an error that says:

Please extract everything from the package including the contents of the tools folder

I did, though. Any ideas?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Use the Install.cmd from differentsliauto 1.3. If you still get errors, let me know.

Make sure you preserved the directory structure when you unpacked the download,
did you use winrar? (rarlabs.com). It sounds like the old install.cmd thinks some files
are missing/not in the right place to me.

Kasakuru

To jbailey8:

Wow, I just found out that my old GTX460 Palit doesn't get recognized by the system anymore.
It was my actual card before and work totally normal. I'm stomped. And the pcie slot is not damaged I think because it is the second Slot that I actually just use for the SLI card and doesn't work when the nvidia drivers are not patched.
I've tried everything to get my old card to run again - reinstalled the drivers, removed everything from NVIDIA and reinstalled it entirely, the Gigabyte gtx460 works but not my old palit, WTH.
Please help :(

P.S.:
Just decided to try installing it again..... it worked, I'm sooo confused Level 100 now.
So nevermind this Post. I'll be trying to test SLI now

Last edited:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
If your system physically doesn't recognize your palit 460 video board, and you've tried my suggestions, I'd say that board is bad, I hope I'm wrong but that's what it sounds like to me.
Make sure you've tried that board in both pci slots. It's possible that the original bad video
board did some kind of permanent damage to you rmotherboard.

Edit: ok, glad it seems to be working, but there's something weird going on.

Last edited:

ragequitr2

To jbailey8

Thank you! Running the install.cmd from differentsli 1.3 worked for me! I really appreciate your help.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite

Kasakuru

Okay, now that I have both gtx460's installed and working separately, I can't get the card in the second pcie slot to recognize anymore, so it seems that the drivers are not patched correctly. I've run the install.cmd from the differentsli patcher a million times now and I don't know what's wrong now, I didn't make anything different than before. I'm still using 355.98. What do I do? *cries*

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
To Kasakuru:

I doubt it's the patched driver itself, myself and a lot of other people are running both the win7 & win 10 versions and so far at least, your the only one having issues.
When you run the install.cmd, does it say something like 'success!' in green text when it's done installing the patched driver? If not, then the installer is having a problem
somewhere, you need to see what the error message is if this is the case. Also clarify whether your running windows 7 64 bit or windows 10 64 bit.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Ok, so the driver seems to have actually installed properly. Make sure you have a sli bridge properly installed, if this is the case then that leaves a bios setting that's a little off, or 1 of your video boards is bad
or one of your pci slots is damaged, there's not that much left that it could be. Look up the specs on your motherboard and make sure it actually has crossfire/sli support listed in its specs.

Kasakuru

I think my board actually does not support SLI, that's why I wanted to use the patch, and it kinda worked at first, with that one broken gtx460 and even displayed that it is configured in sli mode.
But I just got a second gtx460 from palit so that i now have 2x gtx460 from palit and it seems to recognize them both at the same time now again, but does not let my put them into sli mode whatsoever.

Whats also strange is that I checked the files in "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDrivers\355.98\*windowsversion*\International\Display.Driver" where the actual "nvlddmkm.sys" should be located and replaced with the patched file and the file I found in that folder is "nvlddmkm.sy_" and a bunch of other "~.sy_" files that I think actually should be "~.sys" files right?
Confused again... my computer is a mystery :confused:

Last edited:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
If I read your last post properly, you make it sound like you've copied the patched driver into the installer directory, this is not correct, you did actually run the driver installer and let it install the new drivers? then download
the patched driver and unpack it in the differentsliauto 1.3 directory and run the Install.cmd, right? If you didn't do these things in that order, the patched driver won't work.

In the event that the way I've read this is correct, here's what you need to do in this order, follow each step 1 at a time:

1. Go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers and download the latest drivers (355.98) for your version of windows.
2. Go here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/25235387/nvlddmkm-35598-win7-8-81-64-bit.rar and download the patched driver (assuming windows 7 64-bit here).
3. Go here: https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto/releases and download the 1.3 version of this package.
4. If you don't already have winrar installed, go here: http://www.rarlabs.com/download.htm and download the version of winrar for your system that is current and run the installer.
5. Unpack differentsliauto 1.3 to a folder of your choice (c:\diffsli13 for example).
6. Unpack the patched driver into the same folder you unpacked differentsliauto 1.3.
7. Run the official video driver installer you downloaded from nvidias' site and let it install the official drivers.
8. Once the official drivers are installed and the installer has finished, go back to where you unpacked differentsliauto 1.3 and you also have the patched nvlddmkm.sys.
9. Open a administrator level command prompt (hold down left-shift & right-click anywhere in the window (don't have any files high-lighted) and select 'open command window here'.
10. Run the 'Install.cmd' file, it should say 'success!' in green text at the bottom of the window if there were no errors.
11. Reboot your computer.
12. Go to your nvidia control panel and activate sli.

-----------------
Edit:

P.S.:
I'm so done. Just as I spent ages trying to finally get sli mode to work for the palits and posted the stuff above, I just restarted my pc and it tells me sli works now, WOW!

Ok, good! maybe I mis-read your post then.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Last edited:

Kasakuru

Okay, I just uninstalled everything and started from scratch. First I installed the 355.98 NVDIDA drivers, and luckily it said it worked and I restarted my computer. But then I still only got the standard 640xsomething resolution and nvidia controlpanel was not there. And when I tried to install it again, it displayed me that the drivers actually are installed...

http://puu.sh/knJX0/d83b7b4547.jpg

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
I don't understand, I thought you said you had everything running, if that was the case, then why did you re-do everything? In that case if the official drivers are properly installed, then go to where you have differentsliauto and
the patched driver unpacked and run the Install.cmd, if that goes ok, reboot your computer and go to your nvidia control panel and activate sli mode, it should be working at this point.

If your only getting standard resolutions and no control panel, I'd say the drivers didn't install
properly, make sure your on-board gpu is still disabled in the bios.

Last edited:

Kasakuru

I actually deleted my edit on the last post because it just failed again next time i booted up the system and got the wrong resolution and stuff again, soooo yeah.
I've disabled my on-board gpu mode and tried to install the drivers, no success so far. I've noticed while trying to install the drivers for pretty much 30 times and having to shut down and boot up my pc an equal amount of times, that windows every now and then hits me with seemingly the same 16 windows updates to install when I try to reboot for another try to install the drivers. Seems kind of wrong to me, is there a way to shut those stupid updates from windows off?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

Kasakuru

Please tell me there is a way to keep windows from trying to install drivers that actually keeps it from doing that. I just got the drivers to run again. And windows just decided to f*ck everything up again by trying to install some standard vga graphics driver and now im back to the low resolution crap -.-
I actually checked a box some where in the control panel that windows should never search for nor install any drivers on the computer.
..... seems like it didn't care. WTH Windows?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
The operating system is probably still detecting your on-board gpu, go to your device manager find it in the listing and disable it.

Kasakuru

I found the problem. It was comodo antivirus and it always works installing when I disable it during the driver install.
Now I have a problem with the patch again. Doesn't seem to be working now and I get this error:

http://puu.sh/koh2M/57ec3630b4.png

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
I've never seen that error before, try unpacking the differentsliauto rar again, let winrar overwrite everything in the folder and run the Install.cmd again, it's also possible that your anti-virus
is interfering with install.cmd, pause it temporarily while your running the install.cmd.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Go to the tools folder in the differentsliauto folder and make sure you have the following files:

CertMgr.exe
ChecksumFix.exe
makecert.exe
signtool.exe

If any are missing unpack the downloaded file for differentsliauto1.3 again (redownload it too if you need to), it sounds like something got corrupted.
Go here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd919238(v=ws.10).aspx

Read through the article and do any steps you need (cert manager), offhand I'd say the signing certificate got corrupted, but this is a new one for me.
You could try running certmanager find the differentsli certificate, and delete it and try
running the install.cmd again. This advice is off the top of my head though, like I said
I've never seen anyone have this error before.

Last edited:

Kasakuru

I can't install the needed SDK for some reason, is there another way of getting a certificate?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
This is just a educated guess, but if your reasonably sure about the problem being your antivirus, go turn windows updates back on and see if you can get the sdk that way.