1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by anatolymik, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Yimmeryams New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're running it now with SLIpatch and old drivers, it'll work with new HyperSLI and new drivers, as long as you disable the virtualization when you want to use Virtual Machines.

Worst case scenario, when you want to run a VM, your SLI might not work until you turn off your VM and re-enable HyperSLI virtualization.

What you'll do is:
    1. make sure all your VMs are turned off
    2. make sure your VMs don't automatically start at boot
    3. install the new Nvidia drivers
    4. reboot
    5. run the HyperSLI 0.7 installer, press install or update or patch
    6. reboot
    7. open the HyperSLI Control Panel and make sure the box "Automatic disable Hypervisor when windows starts" box is checked.
    8. reboot

Edit: To clarify, you may need to close your VMs and enable hypervisor manually before you play a game with SLI. If you need your VMs open at all times, even while playing games, you may want to hold off on installing the new drivers until you know if HyperSLI 0.7 works how you want. That way, you only need to revert Hyper/SLIpatch and not the drivers, too.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. Weatherlight New Member

Thanks Received:
    Been lurking these forums for a while and haven't posted. But decided recently to try out HyperSLI and now have a rather dumb question for my first post.

HyperSLI works great, but I decided to replace my motherboard. Because I am running Windows 7, I like to cheat doing a reinstall and use sysprep instead (sorry, cant help it). The issue will be that the new MBA has SLI and I want to remove HyperSLI from the system. Is there a good way to remove HyperSLI from a system?

3. JBrantley130 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, this is my first post on this board. First and foremost, THANK YOU to all who contributed to the patches that enable SLI on a nonSLI motherboard. Awesome work! Ok, so here's my deal right now. I installed SLI patch 1.5 with no problem, BF3 runs great in SLI mode at Ultra settings. But, I wanted to use the new Hyper SLI....tried both 0.6 and 0.7 betas with no luck. BSOD every time I restart. In my BIOS I have VT enabled. Check out my system specs for other info. Any input on how I can get Hyper SLI to work will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to contributing my knowledge to this board. Thanks

4. Yimmeryams New Member

Thanks Received:
    Disable SLI first in the Nvidia control panel.

Run the HyperSLI installer/patcher, and then press uninstall.

Run "msconfig" and select the correct boot from there.

Reboot and you should be fine.

I don't see your system specs up anywhere. Edit: I see them now.

Make sure you don't have any Virtual Machines running, especially at boot. Having HyperSLI hypervisor and a VM will BSOD, at least on my computer. If it works without the VM, open the HyperSLI CP and disable hypervisor on Windows start, and you can open your VMs after everything loads.

Try disabling SLI, and see if it boots okay with it disabled. Obviously this isn't a solution, but it will help identify the problem.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
    JBrantley130 says thanks.
  5. federicoz45

federicoz45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, I was running BF3 while a BSOD occurred: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.
    The files involved are: dxgkrnl.sys - ntoskrnp.exe+7c1e9.
    Is this happened to anyone of you?

6. snipe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have 2 monitors running?

If so this will fix it, but if not try it anyways.

Go to you BF3 shortcut on desktop and right click it, select properties, then under the compatibility tab put check marks in DISABLE VISUAL THEMES, and DISABLE DESKTOP COMPOSITION, then apply and try again. For some reason windows fucks me up and it drops into windowed mode and I BSOD. That solved it. Also DO NOT ALT + TAB out of the game or you will BSOD.

federicoz45 says thanks.
  7. 0daan0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi i'm new here. and to SLI ..

after a lot of struggle i suceed to have HyperSLI working (did a clean install W7 64 and then latest nvidia driver 285.62 and finaly HyperSLI)

now it works with BF3 .. but i discovered that when i want to play a game in 3D Vision my system hangs (the video hangs, but my harddrive still remains showing activity) this happens even when i run the 3D Vision setup wizard. i tested it with Prototype.. i will be testing more games like GTA4 and DeadSpace.. deu to the clean installation i have to reinstall these games.

the problem of hanging was the reason that i did a clean w7 install. now i discovered that it has something to do with 3D Vision enabled. Is HyperSLI working with 3D Vision ? or is it just not gonna happen now..

my sys config:
    Asus P5Q Pro (bios 2102)
    Intel E8400 @ 3,8Ghz (i also ran it at stock speed makes no difference)
    2 x 9800GTX 512 MB (one Evga and other Galaxy, but both are running the same bios)
    6 Gig Corsair DDR2 @ 841 Mhz (also ran it at 800Mhz but makes no difference)
    Display Asus VG236
    HD 1 TB Samsung spinpoint
    HyperSLI 0.7 beta (also tested 0.1 and 0.6 and the sli patch 1.5 with modded drivers)

8. Buschti New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, atleast somebody with the very same problem. I cannot have SLI and 3D Vision activated at the same time aswell. Our motherboards are nearly the same, maybe there is some incompatibility with it. If I have just 3D Vision and single GPU mode, everythings works as intended but, not together. Try disabling SLI when using 3D Vision and see if it'll work. If it does, you have the same problem as I do and I haven't found a solution to this...

9. 0daan0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes indeed when i disable SLI then it works.. i think we are having almost the same problem. i looked at my error log and the thing is that the nvidia driver isnt responding and therefore is beeing recoverd. somehow it wont recover comlpetely becouse the screen stays where it is (black or flickering display)

as far as i can understand your system gives a BSOD at the background. mine isnt but just isnt able to completly restore the display driver or so.

btw. dit you tried a driver before 258.96, i saw a post that it might be work with a driver before that one. i wil try it now.

10. 0daan0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    no luck .. diddent work.. just the same problem. 3D Discover works .. so it has something to do with the 3D vision controling (active shutter, refresh rate, something like that.. or USB? becouse the shutter transmitter is an USB device..)

11. 0daan0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i found a solution try dirver version 257.21 and the 3D Vision drivers

now im able to play games in 3D vision and SLI enabled

12. Buschti New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had it once working with a driver in the 270s. but that was a one timer somehow... still, it is a very strange error, and yes my system does bsod in the background but the driver also doesn't respond while doing so. It just sucks that you have to use older drivers to get both working... I hope the will be a solution to this

13. SickBeast New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, do you guys know how to get rid of the "test mode" text in the bottom right hand corner of the Windows desktop?

I've uninstalled Hyper SLI and the SLI Patch.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

14. SickBeast New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nevermind, I figured it out. There are a couple of things you need to do in the command prompt to get rid of it. Google had a guide.

BTW, OP, do you know when you'll have a final version out that allows the use of virtualization? I unfortunately run virtual machines all the time, so I can't run SLI until you can fix this.

Thanks for all your hard work, I've really enjoyed SLI on my AMD motherboard. :toast: :respect:

15. Yimmeryams New Member

Thanks Received:
    Open the HyperSLI Control Panel.
    Check the box that says, "Automatic disable Hypervisor when Windows starts".

SLI will still work. It makes the SLI board check once, at startup, and then Hypervisor disables.

16. N884Drytrip New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, what are the advantages of the hypersli 0.7 beta over the 0.6. I upgraded from slipatch to the hypersli 0.6 beta and everything works great. Im worried about messing that up if I upgrade to the hypersli 0.7. Should I do it? and if so what should be the procedure from going from 0.6 to 0.7

17. phoen

phoen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just update.

N884Drytrip says thanks.
  18. Yimmeryams New Member

Thanks Received:
    The benefit is an updated control panel, the option to disable Hypervisor at boot, and the options to enable / disable Hypervisor at will through the control panel.

If you're worried about updating, then don't do it.

Should you?
    If you're going to use any new features, yes.
    If you want to have the latest version just for the sake of it, yes.
    If you want to use virtual machines, yes.

If you aren't going to use any new features and you don't mind not having the latest version, no. What you have works and there isn't really a reason to update in this case.

How to update? Download the file for 0.7, run it, and as phoen said, just click update. Then restart your computer.

N884Drytrip says thanks.
  19. N884Drytrip New Member

Thanks Received:
    HyperSLI 0.7 beta works great. I've been paranoid about messing with it ever since some of the headaches I had with slipatch but the new hyperSLI has been working great for me. Its quite a relief. Thanks for the help. Excellent work Anatoly and crew!

20. xquizit New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I installed the Latest HyperSLI, and for some reason both GPUs are not working. MSI after burner, GPU-Z (says SLI is disabled), and EVGA Precision all show that one GPU is at 99% load in BF3 and the other is at 0% load.

I took off the SLI bridge and removed PSU connectors from the card, and decided to run BF3 with one card. I found out the FPS is the same with two 470s then one, something is wrong here.

Any ideas? I believe I have the virtualization enabled in my BIOS. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

21. 0daan0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, it isnt all work well. COD BlackOps wont run, also with that drivers it crashes (same problem) and the performance of BF3 is not as good as with the new drivers.. a nice side effect was that it makes BF3 able to run in 3D without the 3D enabler hack.

i hope there wil be a cure for our problem.. otherwise im thinking of buying a SLI enabled motherboard..

22. Yimmeryams New Member

Thanks Received:
    Post system specs.

Did you enable SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel? If things are saying that SLI isn't enabled, well, that's probably why it works the same with one card as with two.

23. xquizit New Member

Thanks Received:
    My apologies, forgot to list my specs... and no I have no IDEA where to enable SLI in the Nvidia Control panel.

SPECS:

ASUS Crosshair III Formula
    AMD Phenom X4 BE 965 C3
    G.Skill Ripjaw 2x2GB DDR3 1600
    SLI Gigabyte (B-models) GTX 470s
    SeaSonic X-750
    Corsair H50 (H100 just arrived)
    2x Intel X25-V 40GB
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB
    CoolerMaster HAF 932
    Sony OptiArc optical drive

24. Yann_H New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

First thanks for your awesome work!
    I think everything is configured well however I get lower/same FPS while using SLI mode than on a Single GPU. (Even if both are loaded and warm up during benches)
    I have tried with integrated benchmark of F1 2011 and Dirt 3...
    Do you have an explanation?

My config is :
    AMD 1090T @ 4GHz
    4GB DDR3
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB at stock frequency.

Here is CPU-Z validation link : http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2086851

And HyperSLI Status indicate that "Hypervisor enabled" and "Hypervisor works properly"...

25. RiC@RDOC

RiC@RDOC

Thanks Received:
    What pci-e slots are you using?
    Try pci-e slot 1 and 3 to get max performance, if you don't have an Sli brige that is long enough try with the 258.96 drivers so that you can enable Sli without the bridge and do some tests.