1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by anatolymik, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Izninjaftw New Member

Thanks Received:
    It works great! Thanks to the developers for making this happen :D

2. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Check your GPU and CPU utilization in various games. Windows task manager (performance tab) and MSI Afterburner will give you this info. Normally either the CPU or the GPUs will be close to 100% while the other is lower. On rare occasions you will get close to 100% on everything. The abnormal reading happens when you get a lot less than 100% on both the GPU and the CPU, with the exception that single-threaded games should give you 100% on a single core, not all of them. Everything still runs OK, so you might not notice it without looking for it. Just not at the top performance level. I guess it gets more and more obvious as you use the more powerful GPUs.

3. xquizit New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the latest drivers, and tried a later one and still no luck (i tried a 280.XX).

I followed the steps, even #6 went flawlessly, I install/updated it again, rebooted, opened the Nvidia Control Panel, and this is what I saw:

[​IMG]

If you can't see the picture, it shows:
    No SLI option in the PhysX tab of the Nvidia Control Panel
    Shows that PhysX is NOT CHECKED in GPU-Z!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Shows that I am using the latest driver in MSI AFTERBURNER, and that both GPUs are shown (yet, one is at 0% GPU useage - same when gaming).

Any ideas? I find it bothering I don't have PhysX and BF3 is the only game I play besides AION.

4. Z-FiRE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok well, thanks anyway ;)

5. Mordecai Walfish New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was previously using SLI patch 1.5 and found that after updating to the new 285.6 WHQL drivers I was getting the dreaded "SLI Flicker" in some games (team fortress 2, bad company 2) and then finally got fed up and uninstalled my nvidia drivers, the sli patch, restarted and then reinstalled the new drivers and HyperSLI 0.7.. and it's fixed!

So far no flicker or strobing issues in either game, and a quick benchmark in GTAIV shows equal performance to the previous drivers.

Thanks for keeping this updated!! Such an invaluable program for those of us who Nvidia would screw over by not allowing their cards to work in completely capable motherboards.

My setup is an ASRock 870 Extreme 3 MOBO, Phenom2 x4 B55 @ 3.6GHZ (Phenom2 555BE with all 4 cores unlocked), 4GB G-Skill Ram, and 2 Nvidia GeForce 8800GT's in SLI (thanks to HyperSLI!!)

6. xquizit New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand what's going wrong.

PhysX isn't enabled, SLI doesn't show in the PhysX tab of the Nvidia Control Panel.

I'm so lost, and confused. I don't want to give up and go Intel, not now at least!

Win64 Ultimate
    ASUS Crosshair III Formula
    2x (non-SLI-working) Gigabyte GTX 470s *both B model*
    Intel x25-V 40GB (2x not in RAID)
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB
    SeaSonic X-750
    AMD Phenom X4 BE 965 C3
    G.Skill Ripjaw 2x2GB 1600

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  7. Sporx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, i just registered to make this post. i'm using a p5q-pro with a qx9770 that i won from a friend for free since hes upgrading. I decided to get a second gtx 460 and SLI them since i was aware of hyperSLI. I'm having a major issue with my computer crashing in SLI mode when i try and run Heroes of Newerth the free to play competitive game. The game runs fine when i disable SLI but crashes my PC almost instantly when i go to run the game with SLi enabled.

I can't take a pic of the crash as it black screens my PC.

I'm on a fresh install of windows 7 64 bit and the only other game ive tested is Just Cause 2 which runs flawlessly and is stable.

DXDiag attached.

the game isn't resource intensive so running it with just one card is fine but its still annoying having to switch off it off. Its a very popular game being free to play "several million subscribers" so if you could DL the client and figure something out i'm just putting it out there. Thanks for the awesome work so far, i'm pretty poor so being able to SLi without having to completely upgrade my pc was a big help.

Attached Files:

8. Sporx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Follow up to my last post, i ommited some info. When i ran heroes of newerth in openGL mode the game would load but would crash my pc when i went to play a match. When i switched to DX9 mode the game would crash my pc instantly.

Also most of my games are digital purchases through steam but i had CoD4 lying around and just like Just Cause 2 it runs flawless in SLi. So this appears to be a problem unique to heroes of newerth.

9. federicoz45

federicoz45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello there, no I haven't any problems using the latest drivers 285.62. The setup is the same,
    do you have sli bridge? And what is your PSU wattage?

10. Z-FiRE New Member

Thanks Received:
    I made some windbg on the mini dump created after crashes, and it's always the same issue : nvlddmkm.sys

it's maybe a clue... i'll try to downclock my graphic card and plug in a better power supply (i've 750W maybe it's not enough for 2xGTX 560 Ti) to see if it change something...

11. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked your CPU and GPU utilization in games? My PSU is sufficient, it's a fairly new Corsair enthusiast 850W.

A lot of people are reporting low GPU and CPU utilization in games such as BF3 and BFBC2. The framerates are still decent, but no better than when using one card. Of course, this affects the users of newer, expensive cards more than older or budget cards.

12. RoMeO

RoMeO New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. RoMeO

RoMeO New Member

Thanks Received:
    now tested and works perfectly

14. Yimmeryams New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup, pretty sure I have this problem as well. In World of Warcraft, none of my cores are near 100%, and neither are my GPUs.

Both GPUs sit at around 20%, and CPU cores sit at 30-60%. No single core ever sits above this amount, except for brief split-second spikes to around 70% usage on one core.

Running at Ultra, Vsync, Tripplebuffer, around 40 FPS usually. Without Vsync, about the same.

I'll take a look at some other games later. WoW is kind of old and not the best test subject.

15. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    That's exactly it. Given your CPU utilization rates, it would likely be the bottleneck, but at 100% it would provide you approximately 50% more FPS, which your GPUs are amply powerful enough to provide.

Damn.

16. Yimmeryams New Member

Thanks Received:
    I still don't really know what's going on. Try updating to the latest beta drivers that just came out (285.79). Also, after doing that, try installing the um. NVIDIA System Tools (6.06). That's all I can think of.

SLI might not be registering because it might think your GPUs are mismatched. I have no idea why the SLI menu isn't even showing up, though. When you install the 285.79, go into advanced/custom installation, click do a clean install, and also make sure all the installation boxes are checked.

17. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    You are using an SLI bridge, right?

18. Yimmeryams New Member

Thanks Received:
    He has two, I believe, and I also think he has tried it with and without.

It doesn't really matter, anyway, as the SLI menu thing will at least show up, even if you don't have the SLI bridge installed. It just won't let you pick anything other than "Disabled"

19. Max One New Member

Thanks Received:
    FPS problem!!!

Hey guys,

i have a problem.

I lose sli performance. I usually have about 330 fps in Trackmania Nations Forever benchmark. While I play for example, I feel like I was losing performance. Probably a driver crashes, I do not know. Then I have about 190 fps in the benchmark permanently.
    I've tried many things but without success. The only solution to fix the problem is to uninstall the hyper-sli and the VGA driver and then reinstall again. Which holds as long until the problem occurs again and then I have to repeat the procedure.
    But this is not a real lasting solution.

Does anyone know my problem and maybe knows how to fix it permanently?

X6 1055T
    AMD Crosshair 4 Formula
    4gb ram
    2 x 8800 GTS 512 mb

I tried these drivers 285.62 up to 285.69 always the same problem.

Now i will try the new beta driver 285.79, maybe the driver will fix my problem but i dont think so. :ohwell:

If I'm not mistaken, I do not had these problems with the sli patches.

For a hint or suggestion I would be happy.

Thanks in advance

Max1

20. Yann_H New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did a 3D mark 11 bench under standard "performance" mode : P6329
    On the result page it indicate that my result seems low compared to similar configuration.
    Also it indicate that my drivers can't be validated and so my results won't be recorded...

I can't run 3D mark Vantage there is a lot of graphic errors... So it may not give accurate values...

Any idea?

21. RiC@RDOC

RiC@RDOC

Thanks Received:
    Your 3dMark 11 score seems average for your system, check also your gpu usage with msi afterburner or something similar, both of your gpus should max out on the graphics benchmarks.

Dirt 3 has some issues with Sli activated, you have to set mirrors, reflections and shadows all to high(restart the game after that), it's a known issue. About F1 2011 i don't know, it isn't my type of game.

Attached Files:

22. 0daan0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you got 3D vision ? or just play it in 2D ?

this problem i think has something to do with the P5Q Pro / Turbo boards. me and Buschti having the same problem. (we are having this problem when enabling 3D vision) now im runnig at drivers 257.21 and the 3D drivers. i only had once a driver crash for so far.

23. oxy93n New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi im really new here and hope u can help me

i got an ssd this week and had installed windows complet new. and then i got my 2nd GTX 470.
    i build it in and it works great as 2 cards.
    so i installed the newest nvidia beta driver today.
    then hypersli 0.7
    - reboot
    - all time i try to boot up i got BSOD :/

so what can i do now.

normal windows start work great
    SVM in bios enabled
    physX is still automatic

24. RiC@RDOC

RiC@RDOC

Thanks Received:
    It could be your anti-virus blocking the patch, uninstall your anti-virus software in normal mode and try booting HyperSLI again.

25. oxy93n New Member

Thanks Received:
    now u say it i known that i have forgotten to install my antivir. so that cant be the problem :/