• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

System Name Cooler Master Elite (case name)
Processor Amd 1090T X6 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3
Cooling oversize fans
Memory 16 gigs ddr3 2000Mhz
Video Card(s) 2 - nvidia gtx 560's sli 2 gigs each video memory
Storage 6 - terabytes sata
Display(s) samsung syncmaster 2330 hd monitor
Case coolermaster elite
Audio Device(s) realtek on-board
Power Supply coolermaster 1000 watts
Software windows 7 64- bit enterprise
Benchmark Scores not available at this time.
Sorry for that, I just checked nvidias' site, the latest driver I saw was 353.30, I'll keep a eye out and when they update I'll post a new download link...

If you used the install.cmd that was in the windows 10 driver download, I suspect the changes I
made were incorrect, use the install.cmd from release 1.3.1.

nick

So, Ive determined that its not a good idea to run Windows 10 without updates being on and unfortunately this has caused some driver conflicts back and forth as its very difficult to turn off windows updates. However, the best method ive found so far is to use this MS utility that will hide/show updates. I've used it to hide the updated Nvidia driver and now we're good to go again.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab

If only i could figure out how to get EAC to work with unsigned drivers lol

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
It looks like getting windows 10 to operate smoothly with the patched drivers is going to be a little involved, I'm not that familiar with eac, but it looks like something similar to what battleye is doing, if test mode
is active, it considers that a cheat. Getting these patched drivers officially signed would be difficult to say the least, so until nvidia updates their site with the latest windows 10 drivers, so they can be patched, what your
doing is probably the best thing, I'm just wondering how this is going to go when windows 10 gets officially released.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
To nick,

This is just a idea, but if you still have the nvlddmkm2.sys file from the windows 10 automatic update, you could post that somewhere, send me the link, I could patch it and post the download link if you want to try that.
or just wait until nvidia updates their site.

AdamWest

If only i could figure out how to get EAC to work with unsigned drivers lol

This.

Sorry to be that guy, but I have to ask. Is there any way to sign the driver/get it to work without needing to enable Test Mode (Disable Signature Check)?
I'm getting amazing frame boosts from my 2x 660Ti's on an AsRock H97 Fatal1ty board, but the signature check means that a ton of my games are unplayeable online.

DayZ, Rust, The Entire Arma series, etc.. anything that uses EAC or BattlEye. And they refuse to allow a workaround.

Any thoughts?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
The only way I can think of is to get the patched driver officially signed, it's not likely microsoft or nvidia will do this, I can try and research this, but at the moment there is no easy solution to this problem.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite

nick

Windows has released a new driver, 353.62 for automatic update. The file it has created is 'nvlddmkm.sys' verified by the timestamp. I have attempted to remove the watermark as well, but it still detects the unsigned drivers aspect of it. I will provide the new file here - http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=04172543586507835345 Unfortunately i stupidly labeled it as 353.63 instead of 353.62...

MightyRufo

I have been following this thread for a little while now. I have acquired two GTX 970s and have been wanting to use them in SLI. I used to own two Radeon 5870s. But due to issues, I decided it was time to go with Nvidia. The first card I bought.. Things went excellent, however. I obtained a second GTX 970 shortly after from a friend who had bought a titan. My current motherboard is the Crosshair IV Extreme with a AM3 socket and a Phenon 1090t six core overlclocked to 4Ghz running... Yes, Windows 10! (You're gonna love it)

Now that you know a bit about my setup, let's move onto my issue. I can't seem to get the patched driver to copy over XD It says "0 files copied" and overwriting a system32 file is a pain the.. well you know. I've disabled windows update and kept myself on .30 of the driver. I've tried a lot of things. But nothing works. I'd appreciate if someone could write a tutorail for us windows 10 users on how to do this, and also, exactly what the 'Install.cmd' file should show when it completes successfully.

Thanks!

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Last edited:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
To MightyRufo,

Download the patched driver (make sure the version numbers match) and unpack the rar file into the same folder where you installed differentsli (version is 1.3.1 now), open a administrator command prompt
and navigate to that folder, type in 'Install.cmd' if everything went ok, you should see some text at the bottom of the prompt saying 'success!".

If your still having issues, go to page 98 of this forum and at the very top are more
instructions, just make sure you download and install differetsliauto 1.3.1.

nick

Okay so starting from scratch, ive dl'd the 1.3.1 differentsli zip and unpacked it to a fresh folder. I then copied your new 353.62 patched file in and proceeded to run the install.cmd and this is what it outputs - http://imgur.com/2D5l09x - It seems its able to patch the file but not able able to copy. So again I went to %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\ and manually renamed the nvlddmkm.sys file there and copied in your new patch file. When the system restarted, I was def in test mode but the driver still didnt seem to be loading. I held shift while i restarted so I could force the 'driver signature enforcement' and this time on reboot it has taken the patch again and sli is functioning again. The test mode remains but Im unable to keep the driver signature enforcement off after a reboot, but i believe that to be a fairly easy BCD edit.

EDIT: After a reboot, I confirmed that the driver enforcement was still on because the drivers werent loaded, so I reran the install.cmd. This run was able to copy the file but i did not get a screenshot. I assume it was able to copy the file this time because the driver wasnt actually in use. After this successful patching and reboot, the SLI is functioning again on all restarts.... Back to EAC i go lol

EDIT #2: I had suspected the problem happened because i was using 1.3.1 instead of 1.3, but it appears you get the same file copy error even if you're using 1.3

EDIT #3: Here is a screenshot of what it looks like when everything is successful - http://imgur.com/u5KDvSC - However you'll notice in this screenshot it says that it cant find 'System32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys' which is because I renamed the file so the install.cmd would show a successful copy. I believe if there were a step in the install.cmd to simply rename the current nvlddmkm.sys and then copy in the new file, everything would work as intended.

Last SS for driver verification - http://imgur.com/EFW7uta -

Question: Your patch removes the SLI limitation, while the differentsli just certifies, testsigns and attempts to copy the file?

Last edited:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Go ahead and try the rename on nvlddmkm.sys, I would try it myself, but as I've stated, I don't have windows 10 installed, but obviously the install.cmd needs more work.

to answer your last question - yes the patched driver activates sli mode on systems that otherwise don't support it (crossfire only systems for example), the install.cmd does just what you said
it signs and copies the file over to the drivers folder, if it can't copy it for some reason, then that needs to be looked in to.

nick

Okay, so where I messed up was by immediately copying your patched file in after the copy had failed. Instead I should renamed the driver in %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers and then copy the new certified file(nvlddmkm.sys) from the differentsli folder into %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Sounds good!

Last edited:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite

MightyRufo

Sooo, I've went ahead and tried everything that people suggested. Even disabled Driver Signature Enforcement and windows will still not load that driver. No matter what I do, it's just doomed to not work.. I've even tried running it on safe mode.. But forbid if CMD can't run with admin rights in safe mode -_- I've spent a lot of time on this, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm not new to this type of stuff.

Driver version is right, got the latest from windows update (353.62). Used 'Install.cmd' (1.3.1) To properly sign the driver. Since the Install.cmd cannot ever copy the driver. I am forced to rename the driver and then copy over the patched one. The renamed one remains, can this cause issues? Windows will NOT let me delete it. I then reboot, and windows loads using it's own driver, NOT the patched one. Thus, Nvidia's software does not show. I'll try booting windows while holding shift to see if it will load the driver.. Of course, after reinstalling the drivers AND the update from Microsoft to get on the latest.

Last edited:

MightyRufo

Okay, so where I messed up was by immediately copying your patched file in after the copy had failed. Instead I should renamed the driver in %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers and then copy the new certified file(nvlddmkm.sys) from the differentsli folder into %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers

doing exactly this results in windows refusing to load the driver. The only thing I have not done, is hold shift during boot to temporally disable Driver Signature Enforcement even though it should be disabled already, since I went into the advanced boot option of windows 10 and disabled it. Is that only temporary?

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
As far as I can tell, the install.cmd is working as it should, I'm beginning to think this is a windows 10 issue, while I'm not sure of this it seems likely to me, I've looked at screenshots of the install.cmd actually trying to do it's job
and it seems to be successful in general, it's just the very last step that's the problem.

See screenshot here:

http://imgur.com/2D5l09x

If you look at the bottom of the screenshot, the error seems to be 'being used by another process ', this process needs to be shutdown for a second to get the patched driver installed.

Here's some additional information about this problem:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windows_har.../01/driver-signing-changes-in-windows-10.aspx

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
From nick:

"Is that only temporary?"
----------------------------------

I would tend to think that once it's disabled, it will stay that way until you change it again, but I'm not familiar with how windows 10 will actually handle this, microsoft seems to have tightened driver enforcement, so this could wind
up being a real problem that will be hard to fix.

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Here's another thought, years ago when I was running my 32-bit p4 system (remember those?) and I had a driver I was trying to install, but had the same problem that's being listed here, I would find my windows 98 start-up
floppy and reboot to that prompt, manually copy the file over, then reboot back into windows, this usually worked, I suppose that could be tried here, boot your windows 10 pc from a windows 98 start-up image, manually copy the file and reboot

If anyone is interested, here's a download link for a windows 98 start-up floppy image:

http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/98.html

You would probably have to put this on a usb thumb drive, or if you have a usb floppy drive that would work, but I have no idea how well (or badly) a floppy image would run on todays computers. even if this would work,
you would have to do this everytime you installed the patched driver.

MightyRufo

I've figured it out! But unfortunately, it leaves us with a painful solution. I've done all the steps, driver installed and SLI is working (YES!!).. However, in order to get it to work. Windows Driver Signature Enforcement must be disabled, as we already knew. Problem is, in order to actually boot with DSE off.. You must access the startup options of Windows 10 to boot into the advanced startup menu and then choose 7 to boot with Driver Signature Enforcement off... Every time you boot.. I've also went ahead and tried to disabled this permanently, through cmd with some commands.. Apparently doing such has been removed or disabled in Windows 10. It cannot be turned off permanently. I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 thing but I did read somewhere that, that is the case.

So, the process is as follows for us Windows 10 users.
1. Install drivers from Nividia
2. Check for Windows Updates. Let Windows download 353.62 display driver form Nvidia
3. Restart your computer (Usually windows will prompt you to restart upon installing this driver)
4. Download DifferentSLIAuto (1.3.1 as of today) and then extract it wherever: https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto/releases
5. Download Jbailey8's 353.62 patched Nvidia driver: http://www.gamefront.com/files/25142902/nvlddmkm35362-win10.rar
6. Put the patched Nvidia driver into your DifferentSLIAuto folder.
7. Locate the Install.cmd file, then right click it and run it as administrator
Once it's finished, it should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/u5KDvSC.png
However, sometimes it's not able to copy the driver into your system, resulting in this: http://i.imgur.com/2D5l09x.png (0 files copied)
If it did not copy the driver over, move to the next step. If it did, move to step 10
8. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and locate the file named nvlddmkm.sys
9. Rename this file, doesn't mater what you rename it. But keep in mind, you can use it as a backup. I renamed mine nvlddmkmBACKUP.sys
9. Copy the nvlddmkm.sys patched driver in your DifferentSLIAuto folder to the same folder where you renamed nvlddmkm.sys
10. This part is a little tricky. Click Restart while holding shift until you see "Please Wait". You'll get an advanced menu.
a. Click on Troubleshoot
b. Advanced Options
c. Startup Settings
d. Then click Restart
This guide may help and the process is the same for Windows 10: http://www.howtogeek.com/126016/three-ways-to-access-the-windows-8-boot-options-menu/
11. When shown the advanced startup menu, press number 7 on your keyboard. (NOT F7, which doesn't seem to work for me)
12. Windows will start with Driver Signature Enforcement disabled. (You must repeat step 10, every time you boot windows, otherwise windows will NOT load the patched driver. Even with Test Mode on)
13. Right click on your desktop and click on NIVIDIA Control Panel, then check to see if you can enable SLI and then enable it, of course. (Not all motherboards will work with this, it's a hit or miss)
14. Verify it's working. In the Nvidia Control Panel, click 3D Settings (NOT Manage 3D Settings) at the top, next to Help and Desktop and click Show SLI Visual Indicator.
15. Run a SLI compatible game of your choice. You should see a bar on the left side of your screen. The greener the bar, the better SLI is performing. Do these same steps to disable it.
And wallah, enjoy!

NOTE: This guide is ONLY for version 353.62 of Nvidia's driver. However, this guide may still work providing you use a newly provided DifferentSLIAuto and Nvidia driver instead.

My conclusion.. As of now, loading an improperly signed driver in Windows 10 is a royal pain. But if you go through the steps to make it work, it DOES work. This'll be a temporary fix until I upgrade to an Intel motherboard.

Last edited:
Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
I'd say your solution is the best thing for now, thanks for posting the steps required, this should make things a little easier for other people.

nick

I was also in this situation where the driver would not load unless i manually selected the disable driver enforcement while Windows was correctly in test mode.

To fix this, after I manually copied the patched nvlddmkm into system32, I rebooted and ofcourse driver enforcement was on so windows looked totally broken due to no driver. I simply ran the install.cmd again so that it could now re-run through the disabling of integrity checks and re setting up testmmode and then restarted and I now I dont have to hold shift for every restart.

Alternatively, you can run bcdedit from the command prompt to force driver signature enforcement off on every boot, but thats what the install.cmd is supposed to be doing. I would run the command just to verify that you know it is turning on.

Command prompt with admin access - bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

bcdedit /set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

reboot

Cooling oversize fans
Case coolermaster elite
Thanks for the info! The last few posts should help a lot of people when windows 10 releases.