1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hypothetically, if the world's best hackers came together, how much damage possible?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Phusius, Aug 28, 2012.

  1. 95Viper

    95Viper

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2008
    Messages:
    4,304 (2.03/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,545
    Location:
    στο άλφα έως ωμέγα
    Would not be wasting it on the internet... PARTY TIME!
  2. lilhasselhoffer

    lilhasselhoffer

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2011
    Messages:
    1,563 (1.28/day)
    Thanks Received:
    931
    Location:
    East Coast, USA
    Why in Hades would they kill the internet.

    DNS servers allow you to type in something easy to remember. Without DNS the internet is useless to 90% of people. The remaining 10% of tech savvy people can type in IPs directly. That's what I'd have done if I had a group of hackers, given how relatively easy that would be.


    Sufficiently talented black hats can do a lot. Anonymous and Lulzsec had only a small fraction of the black hat community, and they managed government website takedowns, DDOS, and other large scale attacks (LOIC anyone?). Imagining that in the hands of, many more, capable people and I'm scared...

    Problem is, humans are still fundamentally greedy. Why kill the internet, when you can mine credit card data?
  3. Easy Rhino

    Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2006
    Messages:
    13,392 (4.75/day)
    Thanks Received:
    3,226
    lol exactly.

    "let's take down the internet!!" said internet hackers. :roll:
  4. Jizzler

    Jizzler

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2007
    Messages:
    3,396 (1.33/day)
    Thanks Received:
    634
    Location:
    Geneva, FL, USA
    For the lulz.
  5. Krazy Owl

    Krazy Owl New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2012
    Messages:
    900 (0.97/day)
    Thanks Received:
    77
    Location:
    Montreal
    If all hackers got together the only best thing they would have to do is to shut down the guy computer who continue to send us "Free gambling". Free porn" and "Enlarge your penis". :p
  6. Solaris17

    Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2005
    Messages:
    17,088 (5.22/day)
    Thanks Received:
    3,513
    Location:
    Florida
    direct attack on multiple ISP/data center main frames and just start a system wide ban of class A/B/C subnets. everyone would DC eventually
  7. Kreij

    Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    Messages:
    13,881 (5.08/day)
    Thanks Received:
    5,615
    Location:
    Cheeseland (Wisconsin, USA)
    Technically you couldn't destroy the internet, but you could disrupt it on a massive scale for some period of time. If you could write some malware that targetted routers (not computers) and wiped out the all the routing tables (including backup tables and redundant routers), everything would come to a screaming halt.

    It would not be easy, but a wide scale disruption of just several hours would cause trillions of dollars in losses.
    When you got caught (and they would find you), you would spend a long time in a small room as "Bubba's wife".
  8. OnePostWonder

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2008
    Messages:
    579 (0.28/day)
    Thanks Received:
    107
    Or he could find himself in a menage a trois:

    With one of the prisoner workers no less!
  9. ZenZimZaliben

    ZenZimZaliben

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    Messages:
    2,562 (0.75/day)
    Thanks Received:
    528
    Nothing would get done. They would all argue over which modded and custom compiled linux distro is the best.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  10. Drone

    Drone

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2010
    Messages:
    2,496 (1.75/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,199
    Oh the interference ... I think they would cancel each other out.
  11. D007

    D007

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2007
    Messages:
    3,060 (1.13/day)
    Thanks Received:
    374
    Location:
    Pompano beach, Florida
    If they had the power to piss off the wrong people, they would find themselves on some very dangerous peoples hit lists.. Hacking a computer won't stop a squad of seals from placing a bullet between your eyes.. You threaten the security of the country, the country will respond and it will not be with some lame, 3 hour hack..

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page