1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i 920 Over Clock @ 3.36 ghz.memory timing OK?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by toohot, Apr 2, 2011.

1. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, I have set to ddr 1600 (800hz) 7-7-7-20 1T oc to 3.36ghz vcore @1.137v(Bios),Cpu-z states vcore @ 1.04v,drm voltage @ 1.5v QPI/VTT voltage 1.20 v .prime95 test for 1 hr no errors.Temps are Ok. Happy with 3.36ghz for now.Newby to oc.See attatched specs.
    I left the drm voltage @1.5v. Should I increase it to 1.6v because everything is running fine & Stable.Can I improve on anything.thanking you. Toohot.

Attached Files:

2. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Your ram must be good, great timings. 4Ghz shouldn't need more than 1.25~1.275V

try 6-7-6-18 1T tRAS 18 tRC 34 and 1.6V then continue from there... 1.65V is very safe for X58

remember, lower timings are better. It seems your RAM's stock speeds are the ones I listed above (except 2T), so try to improve on that

3. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks n-ster. I do not wish to oc @ 4ghz.and as for my ram ,it is voltage rated @1.6 acording to the packaging.so I did web search and found some later dated modules were rate @ 1.6v they need less voltage to operate wich is a good thing(lower temps)I was also told that 7-7-7-20 is faster than 6-7-6-18.Also if I use XMP it list the settings auto @ 6-7-6-18 2T tRAS 18 tRC 34.Should I just leave xmp off and chang it to 1T.also drm voltage @ 1.5 volts seems to have no errors running prime95. also what is the best vcore votage for my current overclock settings -can I go lower.your advice will be appriciated very much

Other thread overclockers.com mentioned this

7-7-7 1t will almost certainly be faster then 6-7-6 2t, going from 1t to 2t costs you around 18% performance, and tightening from 7-7-7 to 6-7-6 doesn't gain anywhere close to that

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  4. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    RAM temps are not important (as in are very cool) until you reach the 1.8V +. lower timings are better, therefore, 6-7-6-18 1T is better than 7-7-7-20. Yes switch XMP off and put 1T

May I know the rest of your system and your current CPU cooler? Please note that temps up to 80C are OK/good for the i7 920, so don't be afraid to overclock more if you want. 85ish are OK temps, and over that is hot. 90C is acceptable, but hot. 75ish is good/cool, below 70C is cool/cold

EDIT: going from 2T --> 1T is about the same as going from 7-7-7-20 to 6-6-6-18 performance-wise. 6-7-6-18 1T is very possible with your sticks and you should definitively try that.

However, depending on the time you have and how important system performance is to you, higher clocks will be more beneficial then tighter timings. If you want to further improve your computer, going to higher clocks like 1866 7-8-7-24 1T may be better. If you can get 1866 7-7-7-20 1T even better. Please put 1.64V or 1.65V for this however. Do not worry, about these voltages as they are completely safe

EDIT2: may I know what you use your comp for? This way I can help you better and suggest better fitting overclocks.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  5. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    N-ster you have been very helpfull,thanks.my current system is as follows.

1. coolmaster C-RC690(left 120mm /front 120mm/rear 120mm
    2.cpu -i920
    3.Noctua NH-U12 performance SE Push/Pull
    4.Thermaltake Toughpower QFan 850 watt active.
    5.G.Skill f3-12800CL6T-6gbtd 6-7-6-18 1.6v tri channel
    6.Wd 1TB(WD10EARS(7200rpm 64MB SATTAII Green Power Hdd
    7.Benq G2420Hd 24",2ms1920x1080p
    8.Ms win 7 pro sp1 update.
    And soon.

I use the computer for editing video/photo. & kids play online and pc games on it.Wife uses it for ms word/powerpoint etc. I would like to know if the pacaging on the back of ram kit says 1.6. is it realy safe to go above that setting. remembering this kits voltage has been revised down to
    1.6 v.
    I am a newby at overclocking so I will overclock to 4ghz in the future>just worrried about cpu lasting. Oh yeah i was told the cpu can handle 100-120c by unclewebb.

6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    The should not be run over over 95C for long periods of time. but you are VERY far from that. Considering you have a good cooler, there is no reason that when you get more comfortable that you do not OC to 4GHz.

May I suggest that you buy a SSD for your OS? the WD10EARS is not really designed to be an OS drive, but more of a storage drive. An OS drive doesn't have to be more than 40~64GB, and would cost 100~120$. This is not needed, but will help balance out your system.

What is your Graphics card?

If you do Video encoding, CPU, GPU AND RAM can be important. CPUs are the longest lasting components in your computer, and 4GHZ at 1.24~1.28V is pretty damn safe since intel says 1.375V is safe. The 1.6V you see on your RAM's packaging is the voltage it says it requires for the XMP profile. going up to 1.75V is safe on X58, as long as you keep your VTT voltage within 0.5V of your RAM voltage

The i7 920 is my specialty, as I have studied it and read about it since Jan 09 when I joined, and I have played with it (OC etcetera) since August 2010. I love helping people with this platform.

That said I gtg teach my class so please don't be afraid to PM me with questions, post in this thread, or e-mail me (click the little blue guy on top of system specs)

Also, there is a :) Thanks button on the bottom right of each of my posts. If you want to thank me, just press that button

toohot says thanks.
  7. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your advice has been legendary so far.As for ssd,I plan to purchase one later on,getting low rating for the hdd.I seem to have a problem with booting at settings 6-7-6-18 1T trc 34 1.6v

I get the system has expienced boot failures because of overclocking or voltage changes.Last settings in bios may not coinside with current H/W states

8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    try with 1.64V, see if that works. Sometime bumping VTT a tiny bit helps as well

what do you set your other multipliers at? (Uncore etc)

9. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi n-ster.I have set to 1.64 volts and system boots ok.But when running prime95 I get error.Also Why vcore setting is 1.375 in bios yet meter reading in bios and cpuz states 1.104?.Please find attached jpg of bios sttings and prime95 error.

1. 7-7-7-20-1T @1.5v system boots ok no prime95 error.
    2. 6-7-6-7-18 1T @ 1.64v system boots ok prime95 showing error?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  10. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update! set qpi/vtt to manuel instaed of Auto @1.2v prime95 showed no errors.What do you think.next I would like to oc gpu.see attached specs.Thanks toohot.

Attached Files:

11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    My load line calibration is et to level 2 (max). This is better when OCing CPU, however, keep your voltage low (ie: try 1.125V or so max). TBH, I would OC your CPU at least to 3.6~3.8GHz, as it isn't hard at all, do consider. I also do not like tweaking my RAM OCing after my CPU OC because base clock changed

Perhaps putting the stock voltages for everything you left auto will be better for the chip as unnecessary voltage is not applied.

I usually OC with AMD Overdrive or MSI Afterburner. GPU overclocking is the most "dangerous" as out of CPU RAM and VGA, the least durable is VGA. VGA's are also the hottest. Also, the RAM has lifetime warranty. Do max 50 core and 75ish mem on your first try, then go further. It is wise to take you preferred overclock, and take it one or 2 steps back (ie: a bit less core/mem speeds) in order to make sure the card stays stable in time.

RAM-wise, you can try 6-6-6-18 1T, or 1866 7-7-7-20 1T or 7-8-7-20 1T

12. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am so confused.also I am taking it one step at a time because I am new to this.Thats why with a good teacher I can get on job done without any damage.The problem I have is when I set drm voltage to auto prime 95 gives me errors,Why?.Did you say keep vcore voltage to 1.25 max and what is my load line calabration set to and how to i find out ?. And what do you mean by Perhaps putting the stock voltages for everything you left auto will be better for the chip as unnecessary voltage is not applied
    Do max 50 core and 75ish mem on your first try?
    As for graphic card should I oc it and is it the least durable And if I do decide what wold you recommend i overclock it to.Also as for base clock what is safe level.

Current bios settings:
    3.2 ghz (160x20).
    load line set to auto (do Ichange to lev 2)woried about voltage spikes if changed.Is LLC disabled only @ high overclocks 4ghz>.?
    VCore set to 1.136v (auto off)
    qpi/vtt voltage 1.200 v(auto off)
    Qpi (auto)
    unicore clock rato (auto)
    base clock enabled
    blk Freq (160)can change to 180 to get 3.6ghz
    memmory frq 1600
    xmp (disabled)
    turbo on
    spd set to 10
    DRAM votage st to 1.64v

If I can get this all set up correctly,I wii go to next step 3.6ghz
    Idiots step by step version please.Thanking you very much help!.

13. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    Try this you usually what to overclock the chip before you start tweaking the memory timing. I would leave them laxed until you have the chip stable at the clock you wish to reach. Then I would try to lower the timing on the memory.

Ratio = 20
    BCLK = 190
    Speedstep = Disabled
    Turbo=Disabled
    CPU Voltage = 1.25 V
    QPI/DRAM = 1.2125 V
    CPU PLL = 1.82 V

CPU Clock = 3.818
    QPI GT/s = 6872
    UnCore Clock = 3054
    Mem Clock = 1527

Load line = enabled
    Spread Spectrums = Disabled

toohot says thanks.
  14. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am getting hardware failure/Errors .why -See attached
    I will also do what you said-blk it 190
    Is load line auto mean disabled?
    Spread spectrums not listed in bios?
    speedstep not listed in bios?
    my patience is now undergoing test and i am stressed with errors .This is not as easy as I thought!I hope I don't loose it and load defaults.

Attached Files:

15. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    Yeah its not easy and when you mess with the ram timings it makes it harder. Load line should be enabled not auto. Not sure where spread spectrum would be since I have no idea what motherboard you have.

16. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also speedstep not listed in bios.
    My motherboard is gigabyte x58a-ud5 Rev 1 Bios 6 update

advanced frq settings -Intel turbo boost technology set to disabled

Advanced memory settings -performance enhance set to standard/turbo/extreme?

I will overclock to 3.8 ghz blk 190 as soon as i now what the speedstep & preads pectrum is?

17. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    Its in Advanced CPU Features labeled "CPU EIST Function" = Speedstep

Here is some settings for your motherboard overclocked to 3.8

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640868

I would try that and see if it can run with those setting then I would try to get the vcore lower if possible.

Edit : Some CPUS need more voltages to get stable its the luck of the draw lol. My 950 needs 1.33 for 4.0 with HT on. I have seen many that are using very low volts so my chip must be crap!

Found this about your Prime95 error http://www.overclock.net/intel-general/615589-prime95-hardware-failure-2.html

18. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    I set all memory to default setting and overclocked to 3.8 ghz with no luck the system would not boot,so I se everything to default settings blk 133.For some reason the system is alot more responsive,Its got me!

Anyway have a look at attached bios Overclock settings to see if i settings are wrong.I did what you said,I think.God I'am going crazy!Lets just say I've given it a go with not much luck.
    I am not one to give up so easily.But this is given a major head ache.

also memory fatal error are a worry not enough voltage or bad ram only god knows because I don't.

I would like to thank you all for trying so hard to help me,It's sad I was almost their.

Thankig you all. toohot.

Attached Files:

19. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all I have overclocked to 3.8ghz with th settings above.but I get BSOD when I start prime95.?Please help!.Thank you.see attached bios settings.

Attached Files:

20. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    I forgot to add this.

Attached Files:

21. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    You may just need more voltage try

CPU Voltage = 1.26 V
    QPI/DRAM = 1.25 V
    CPU PLL = 1.82 V
    Dram voltage 1.60v

toohot says thanks.
  22. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Fatal. Everything is stable @ 3.8ghz.did what you said.
    1.spu voltage @ 1.262v
    2.qpi/drm 1.24v -no option for 2.5v only higher
    3.cpu/pll @ 1.8v
    4.drm @1.6v
    5.qpi ratio@ x 36
    6.I set unicore @ x16 is that ok?
    7.cpu EIST I disabled that.?

Temps ar alittle high can I improve on that?
    Also cpu runs @3.8ghz even @idle when not needed,can I do anything about that?increase ghz as cpu% increases.

See latest bios attached and tell me what you thing.
    so far so good!If you think settings and temps ok memory timing next and I will be in peace.
    Thanks toohot

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
    Fatal says thanks.
  23. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    :toast: Glad to hear you got it stable temps looks great you will never load the CPU at 100% so I wouldn't worry. You could try to enable Speedstep it will drop you cpu speed since you say you dont want it running at 3.8 full time. This person has it enabled and it seems to work great.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=1998350&postcount=6

I run mine at 4.0 all the time but that's just me see if it will work for you.
    [​IMG]

24. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I will have to enable cpu Eist function is tha correct,also will that affect stability?And how are my temps,can I try lower vcor voltage abit lower (only if stable}to lower temps or is th voltage and temps ok.And advice on timing .you have been a great help!.

25. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    You could try and drop the voltage to 1.25v your temps look great like I said you will never run the CPU at 100% so you are great far as temps. I do not believe enabling EIST Fucnction would cause instability I will enable it and see lol. Far as the memory timings go you wont really notice much a difference. Bench marks sure but normal use and gaming you wont be able to tell. I have the Corsair 1600's my memory is not up to speed my timings are what it is rated to do at 1600. Well almost I have it at 8-8-8-24 1t its rated for 8-8-8-24 2t. I will reboot with the speed step and see what happens brb lol.

Edit: Ok back looks like that just lowered my core speed it didn't lower the voltage. I believe something else has to be enabled C-states I will find out what else you need to enable.