1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I am starting to get second thoughts...

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by kciaccio, Dec 20, 2011.

1. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been acquiring the parts for my new build over the last few months.

I was kind of waiting for the bulldozer chip results and then going from there.

After seeing bad reviews on Bulldozer I said ok i7 2600k then. Well it seems like the price of the 2600k shot up since the Bulldozer came out and something inside me is a little pissed about that.

Now I'm not sure if I should take a lower CPU like AMD Phenom II X6 or the bulldozer Class.

I don't really do much gaming, a game of Lost Planet 2. I just a lot of video encoding,multitasking and watch HD movies on my quad monitor set up using a eyefinty 6 6870 card.

I currently have an Anthlon II X4 630 overclocked to 3.2 GHZ.

I already bought the Raven 2 case, PSU,GPU and Ballistic DDR3 1600 memory.

What do you guys and gals think based on my usage?

2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ive seen used 2600Ks for around 250 on some sites

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    If you can afford Intel, get it. Note that there's a Windows scheduling patch coming out for Windows 7 which will improve performance, but it's not going to transform it.

4. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Just get the BD and be happy . Thing may not be all that Intel is but it still is a monster right . Things could be worse you know you could be like me and stuck for 4 years with the same shit and no money !

5. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, sorry to hear that, things will eventually get better. I had a two year run like that.

I heard the i5-2500k can beat the bulldozer, any comments.

If anybody knows a site that has the i7 for $260 I am interested.

Thanks for the responses. I am buying the CPU and MB this Friday so only a couple days to decide.

6. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah ? Things will get better ? Not likely 4 years now still nothing at all . and living off my wife is just not cutting it . I think I want to just get a divorce and live on the streets !

adulaamin, driver66 and qubit say thanks.
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How is your current setup working for you?

8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    OFCS, don't ask a realistic question. OK?

driver66 and trickson say thanks.
  9. trickson

Thanks Received:
    lmao !

10. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    If you don't mind the higher priced Intel, then go for it. If you don't want to spend too much, then pick up a AMD FX-8120. For your needs, it should perform very well.

11. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I have second thoughts about your thoughts :confused:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  12. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was looking into that option, but the motherboard options for this CPU really seem to suck compared to the Intel options.

When I was looking for an i7 build Asus seemed to have some great motherboards.

But when it came to this CPU, not so much.

The only one that came close was MSI 990FXA-GD80. :ohwell:

13. John Doe Guest

An i7 875k beats BD, at lower temps as well. Anyway, you can pick up a P67-GD80 for $160 AR from the Egg, which has everything it's 990FX version has (Tantalum caps [resistor-like], high current inductors) and more. Pair that up with a 2500k and you're set.

14. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Where do you live? If you have a Microcenter anywhere nearby, you can probably pick up a 2500K and a Z68 mobo for ~$300 or less if you look through the deals in their newsletter. It's in-store only though usually.

15. R_1

Thanks Received:
    2500K and a Z68 is an obvious choice. I did just that immediately after Bulldozer fiasco and it was a major upgrade from Dual-core CPU. In your case I think it will be wiser to just wait for a few months before IvyBridge arrives. There will be new features, new mobos, better overclocking, stronger GPU, less power consumption and list go on.

16. John Doe Guest

The only thing Z68 gives over P67 is onboard video and a little onboard SSD for caching. I'm tired of explaining this to people. "It has a higher number name with more price. It MUST BE BETTER!". Save money and get a better P67.

17. R_1

Thanks Received:
    Z68 and P67 are exactly the same silicon, but some features in P67 are fused off, because they were not tested in time by Intel. So choosing P67 you lose integrated GPU support (it will not work), therefor no QuickSync video transcoding nor Lucid Virtu power saving features.

18. John Doe Guest

Nice captain obvious there. Thing is, those aren't any use. By choosing P67, you get more mobo for your money. You can get a high end P67 instead of a mid end Z68.

19. R_1

Thanks Received:
    But you can't get p67 Gen3 mobo and PCI-E 3 will be a great feature in just few months time. Basically your internal data highway will get twice wider for free if you add IvyBridge CPU.
    PS.
    Oops, you can. Apparently Asrock maid P67 Gen3 mobos.

20. John Doe Guest

21. R_1

Thanks Received:
    Call me captain obvious, but even now AMD/ATI HD5000&HD6000 series are PCIe 2.1 complaint, so they will get a boost from low-latency PCIe 2.1 support in PCIe 3.0 CPU configuration. 22 of December is just two days away from now and then PCIe 3.0 GPU will be presented (AMD/ATI HD7970). Future proofing is not a BS in this scenario.

22. John Doe Guest

No, you aren't future proofing. You're falling for their marketing. You're wrong at best, so I suggest you to move on.

23. R_1

Thanks Received:
    Man, you can get the HW in two days! Future is now! So is PCIe 3 BS? Obviously not. Gen3 means IvyBridge support guarantee. What about other features in IvyBridge family, are they gonna be BS too?

24. John Doe Guest

For the same price, I'd much rather get a P67 Fatal1ty or a GD-80 over a Z68 V Pro, which would give me more slots, better built and so on. On the other hand, PCI-E 3.0 (or 2.1) would give little to no performance increase over 2.0.

As for Ivy, both P67 and Z68 are Cougar Point. Both are expected to support Ivy. Like I said, run along.

25. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    You really have a way with words, being as you like to jump on anyone who is by your mind wrong, I think you really should know what you're talking about before you go spouting, Z68 does NOT have small onboard SSD it DOES have SRT (Smart Response Technology) that enables you to use an SSD as a HDD cache though YOU need to buy the SSD, I'm tired of explaining this to people.

Really your tone offends and I am not sure why you cannot be helpful and just point out someone is wrong isntead of being rude, aggressive and offensive.