1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I.B.M. to Offer Office Software Free in Challenge to Microsoft’s Line

Discussion in 'News' started by Polaris573, Sep 19, 2007.

1. insider Guest

Open Office is a very good open source package, only rival to MS Office and it's completely free even for commercial use.

I have both installed.

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Wow a cheap shot! So are you in love with Bill Gates? LOL. That article article that is almost two years old - Jan, 2006

Here's his quote:
    "The biggest company in the computer industry, by far, is IBM. They have the four times the employees that I have, way more revenues than I have. IBM has always been our biggest competitor. The press just doesn’t like to write about IBM."

"... Microsoft and IBM are going head-to-head in the enterprise across servers, databases and management software and platforms–Java/Linux/open source vs. closed .Net. ..."

He's referring to enterprise servers, not desktop application software.

If they gain traction, I'd be glad, but again IBM has thier heads up their asses when it comes to application software. If they re-bundle open office, who cares? - they will probably screw that up too.

3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't quite figure out why IBM would throw resources at a project like this.
    I agree that MS Office is overpriced, but I don't see what IBM will gain from backing a free alternative to Office.

OpenOffice FTW !

4. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    id rather use openoffice

5. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    You all speak of OpenOffice, though how does OpenOffice work with VBA? I've never tried the OpenOffice Access for example, does it support VBA? If so, how is compatibility? To me VBA is one of the strongest parts of MS Office, specially with .net.

6. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    lol after a while they slip in this paid for add - on and BAM that'll be $600 for the add on please:eek:

7. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    no idea. i just use openoffice to write documents. there is software for it though for database stuff.

8. InfDamarvel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well this is quite useful, I was just looking around for my "legal" copy of Microsoft Office 07 since Im back in school and then I see this thing for free.