1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I broke my laptop screen

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SimFreak47, Oct 15, 2008.

1. SimFreak47

SimFreak47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    In a city, thats in a state which is in the US, an
    OK I dont know what happened last night, but when I opened my computer lid, there is a really big black mark, and a crack in the screen. It is really annoying. :banghead::banghead:

Anyway, is there a way to fix it? Do I need to replace it? Would just *any* 15.4" screen work? Or do I need to get a new one?:nutkick:

Thanks!

2. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    you need to research the right "panel" for your lcd screen/computer model. You only need to replace that.

3. Dark_Webster New Member

Thanks Received:
    [off-topic]
    OMG, the same happened to a friend of mine today. But it was a '93 Toshiba. It worked while installing Win 2000. Then we left class and when we were having Programming, we fired up the laptop and boom, no image at all.
    [/off-topic]

I think any 15.4 screen would do, but it has to have the same connectors.

4. SimFreak47

SimFreak47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish I still had my old dead laptop, because I would just try that screen in it, and if it worked, problem fixed. BUT NO, I JUST had to junk it!

:mad:

I'm a little pissed off, so please excuse me if I sound a little hostile! :)

5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    That does suck... I have only worked with Dell and IBM laptops - wouldn't even think of trying to put a panel from a different brand in. If you're lucky you may find the same panel was used in a different laptop and may be easier to find. The kicker is that the ribbon cable is probably made specifically for your model.

Like it or not, eBay is sometimes a great place for replacement parts like that.

6. SimFreak47

SimFreak47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheapest one on eBay is like $95 before shipping! :(

7. HELLSPAWNPR

HELLSPAWNPR New Member

Thanks Received:
    in my opinion its not a bad the price,or the alternative is buying a new laptop:ohwell:

8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that doesn't seem too bad if it's the exact replacement you need.

9. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    +1

10. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Send it back to the manufacturer or retailer and ask them to replace it. They gave me a whole new laptop, a better lappy at that with a 65nm cpu and a gpu :D so try that.

11. SimFreak47

SimFreak47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Problem- I'm like the third owner of this, haha. My laptop is a whore!

12. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    You'll need to find the same sized screen from a similar model; even then, you can't be sure it'll work.
    If all else fails hit it with a stick ;)

13. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    Dont worry man, Im on a broken screen laptop with a moniter and wireless keyboard and mouse hooked up to it lol. but mine costs $150+shipping.....

14. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    that is stupidly cheap - in fact id say that guy has either pissed his wife off or decided to shoot himself in the foot because laptop screens arent cheap

$95 works out to 54.85Gbp = here in the UK we have to pay DOUBLE that for a new screen - also when people sell you their 'damaged' laptops they arent willing to let a laptop thats seen the hard end of a baseball bat a few times go cheaply unless they owe you a favour or their one of your friends.

On ebay the cost of a new 14.1" laptop screen costs around $190 including p&p - since my laptop screen is busted also I decided to contact a few of the sellers on ebay & the most they could they could cut the price down was about $8.65 or something - not a lot

I wanted to get my laptop repaired but the complete cost of buying the screen then paying for somebody to put the screen in for me wasnt worth it my laptop was made around 2005/2006 the money could go towards a newer & more upto date laptop

thats a nice setup you got there - what ive done is tucked my laptop away somewhere in the room & connect to it remotely via my pc - it forfills small jobs, stuff like video/music encoding & takes care of all my downloads so that my main pc is always ready to go

15. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    Yea its nice to browse the net and recline in the ole recliner lol Got the moniter on my end table