1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I can't decide on what video card to buy

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by vMG, Aug 11, 2010.

1. vMG

vMG New Member

Thanks Received:
    Help me choose!

I was going to buy the Vapor-X 5870 from Sapphire, but then I realized something about all PC games. Everything has that nVidia logo, "The way it's meant to be played". It got me wondering if all the most High-End PC games are made for nVidia video cards. And I also noticed that every time I download a PC demo, while installing it, it makes me install nVidia drivers like PhysX and other stuff.

So perhaps nVidia cards are best for PC games? As if they're made for nVidia chipsets.

If this is true, then might as well convert to nVidia? or if it's not true, which of these two cards is the ultimate choice for me? Just need second opinions.
  2. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Na, it's fine. If you can find a good price for the Vapor X it's an excellent card.
  3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    money no factor, buy the GTX480. But one is silly...get two. :slap:

Wanna save a bit, but get good framerates, buy the ATi. :pimp:

One card is pretty good for 4xAA and 1920x1080 in most games, with high settings, so getting slightly more power than the 5870 isn't really going to translate into a "better" gaming experience. :wtf:

But two cards, and then your talking.:rockout: And buying two ATi cards is a waste of time.

Heck, I'll sell you mine..I'm pretty much done with them. :banghead:
  4. vMG

vMG New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't gots SLI :(

I think I'll go with 480 GTX. That whole "The way it's meant to be played" is making me think that nVidia is the way to go... lol. I know, silly me. Marketing got to me, but still. It really seems that PC games are made with the intention that you have an nVidia video card.

Thanks for the input guys. I wouldn't mind for some more insight though from anyone else?
  5. vMG

vMG New Member

Thanks Received:
    Btw, does SLI work 100% efficient?

I hear crossfire doesn't really.
  6. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Neither are 100% efficient.
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Dude ATI cards are to me are a great solution for PC gaming right now, when you put all these things into perspective, price performance, power consumption and they overclock really well, now the Nvidia cards are awesome too, but yes I've bet you've heard all about the heat noise and power consumption that the GTX 480's have but if you don't care for that, then by all means go for Nvidia:toast:

Are you on a budget as well? the HD5870's are great cards IMO, not sure if the GTX 480 would run on you PSU there bro:confused: if I were you and wanted an Nvidia card, I would aim at the GTX 470 or the little beast GTX 460, they aren't as power hungry as the GTX 480 and overclock well too, I hope this helps:toast:
  8. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Those "the way its meant to be played" are from Devs that have made games using Nvidia cards.

There's lots that don't :laugh:

Honestly between the two brands there isn't that much of a difference, I recommend going for bang for buck due to this.

Which ATI are winning at the moment with the top end cards, NV just stepped up midrange with the 460 though.
  9. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    the GTX480 is the fastest single core GPU currently on the market. however, in that respect - its not exactly the most energy efficient or the coolest GPU of them all - pics are floatin around the net where owners actually fry an egg on their 480 (yes - it really gets that hot) and its been seen so many times, its not even funny anymore...

So...if you want a bigger electricity bill & no need for central heating when it gets cold - take the 480.

however if you do care about your bills and even less about fried eggs - take the ATi, the 5870 will give you blazing fast performance which will run almost any game you throw at it without even a hiccup not to mention creating less heat & being more energy efficient by miles.
  10. Boneface

Thanks Received:
    I had the Vapor x till yesterday, it is a damn good card.
    but got bored lol
    Taded it in for 350 and 125bucks and got 2 460s and a mobo lol.
  11. finndrummer

finndrummer New Member

Thanks Received:
    no need to create another thread, i have an occasion to sell my 5870"s for about 860 dollars (am from africa) i originally bought them for about 780 dollars, i think i will not leave this occasion and i will go for a couple of gtx 260 1go and overclock them, what do you think? i am doing this cause ATI cards are not popular here and we find big difficulties to sell them especially when the HD6000 series will be out. Nvidia Gpu's sells faster.
    what do you think ?
  12. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    I believe the 5870 beat it ;)
  13. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    No, the 5870 does not beat the GTX 480. :D
  14. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    So the OP is claiming that he's going to buy a nVidia card because they spend more money on marketing?

That doesn't make much sense, in a tech-related forum..
  15. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    From TPU's own GTX Fermi reviews which can be found HERE....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

your either mistaking the 5870 with the 5970 or you need to read a few more reviews
  16. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    That is very true and the reason they word it that way is because it is not the fastest single card solution currently on the market.

Stick with your pick.
  17. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    GTX4xx except the 465
  18. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Crisis is an NVIDIA game yet plays better on ATI cards. I think these "I don't know what gfx card to buy" threads are a bit lame Tbh. Just a gr8 chance to troll. If you want the single fastest card get a 5970. If you want fastest single gpu, get 480. If you can't sli and don't care about noise and heat, 480. If you care about heat, power and noise, get the toxic 5870.
    But again, these threads suck, there's a ton on the forums already.
  19. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    From someone who has owned both Nvidia and ATI cards. I can tell you both card manufacturers have good things and bad things.

While PhysX is a really cool feature and it allows extra little graphics extras hear and there. Most games don't use PhysX.

The reason allot of games have the Nvidia logo on them is that Nvidia for a long time owned most of the market share for video cards. So naturally....video game makers wanted to code things better for what people had. (At least this is the story I have been told.)

But with the ATI 5000 series that has changed and the market share is closer to even now.

So you will be probably be seeing more game with the AMD logo in the beginning as time goes on. To make it about even.

But just because a game has a Nvidia logo in the beginning doesn't mean it won't work as well on ATI cards.

ATI has been working allot on that with their Drivers.

So to make a longer answer shorter.... the Vapor 5870 is an awesome card. That will take care of all of your gaming needs and probably will for years to come.

But if you choose to go with a Nvidia product like the GTX 470/480 the same thing could be said about them.

I would look at the specs and just determine the best card for your usage.
  20. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well of course its not the fastest single card solution - but thats not what im trying to point out - the comment was about a 5870 being faster then the GTX480 not a 5970 Vs the GTX480 - of course the 5970 wipes the floor with the 480 but at the same time it also costs a lot more & ISNT a 'single' GPU
  21. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I'd take a good GTX480 with a custom cooler, like the new sparkle card taht was just announced/released.

Single GPU solutions will always be superior to dual GPU solutions IMO. especially the way CF scales (inferior to SLi at the moment) and a setback you almost always have to deal with is that you can often fall back on single GPU performance when the drivers/game/engine let you down.

look at some review sites that also take into account MINIMUM FPS, which for me is by far the most important factor.

would you prefer a killer dual GPU card (ie 5970) where for example in a test the minimum fps is 45 and the max is 200+, or a single GPU card where the minimum fps is 60 and the max is 140?

I think thats a good question to ask yourself, and if your only comparing the 480 to the 5870, the GTX480 wins hands down.

and FYI, an egg can cook at 60 degrees, I'm pretty sure most mid/high end gfx cards load at a temperature you can cook an egg on, what a stupid thing to try and put GF100 down for.
  22. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    forgot to mention that one the major selling points of Nvidia based cards (ones that are applicable) is CUDA - there are more programs out there that use CUDA then ATi's 'stream'
    t77snapshot says thanks.
  23. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Well even though a lot of people prefer Nvidia on here, I like it how this forum is generally not bias :) I have been on many forums where they are only Nvidia fanboys and they would trash talk you if you liked ATI cards at all :/
  24. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    GTX 460-768MB SLI. Same price as HD 5870 Vapor-X, performance and features that kick ass.
  25. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    GTX465 in SLI is a win;)

but a 5870 will kickass too:)
    Crunching for Team TPU