1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I don't like my new Razer mouse

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Raw, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    Updated perspective of mine on 10-01-13

Well, I just want to tell a few of you guys what I think about my new Razer DeathAdder 2013 mouse.
    I am not happy with it. I am returning it and getting the Logitech G500 instead. The Synopsis thing kills it for me.
    I don't want to be tied to Razer in the "cloud".
    To setup and use the full features of the mouse you are forced to set up an account with Razer. No thank you! There is no way, no option to opt out. You are forced, and I don't like to be forced, in anything.
    So off it goes, back for a refund.
    Now as far as using the mouse with Windows Plug & Play, it's ok. It feels good in the hand IMO, but not nearly as good as a Logitech like the G5.
    But it is just way too low in height and too light for me. The grip of the sides is too slippery. It is too easy to lose grip as the sides are straight up, whereas the Logitech curves inward at the top to prevent this.
    The Razer side buttons are great though. They are placed well and feel right.
    But that's about it as far as I am concerned. Overall (again just my opinion here) I don't think it is on par with my Logitech G5. I say this based on the the feel, my perceived quality difference and the outstanding life cycle of my G5. I have had it since 2005. That is 8 years so far, soon to be 9 years.
    That is forever in computer things. And it is still as perfect as the day I bought it.
    On the fly change with the G5 is a great feature, not so with Razer.
    The Razer specs may be a lot better on paper but to me that doesn't mean anything. It's all about how it feels and how it works, for me.
    But the biggest turn off for me is the forced issue to link to Razer through the cloud.
    And forcing me to make it work by setting up some account in "outer space" without knowing what and where I am being linked to doesn't cut it for me.
    I am getting a Logitech G500.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    andrewsmc, Aleksander, SaiZo and 3 others say thanks.
  2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I know right. This cloud crap is goin to far. They act like everyones is ok with it.

3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No one is complaining loud enough, and the smart money avoids Razer like a plague anyway.

4. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    By using Razer Synapse 2.0 (“Synapse”),

Yea, really. How do we know the Synapse 2.0 software is not spying on you? We don't.

Razer forces you to create an account with them before you can use the software with the mouse. You cant configure the mouse in any way until you make an account with them and activate your computer and account through their server. If they decide to take down their activation server for any reason, you will never be able to use the software. If you live somewhere without access to internet, you will not be able to activate and use the software. If you work somewhere that has a network behind firewalls, chances are even though you can download the Synapse software, the firewall may also block you from activating and using the software as well.

If your connection drops out for any reason, the Synapse software will make a habbit of locking up on you while it transitions to offline mode. During that time your settings may revert or possibly not be saved.

Yes, you can use the mouse as plug and play with basic functionality if you choose not to make an account and activate your computer, but who pays premium $ for a basic plug and play mouse? The reason people buy these kinds of mice is the configurable buttons and to change the DPI, polling rate, set up macros and profiles along with everything else. Razer has no right to lock this away from customers who paid for these features. For the DeathAdder mouse, there is no other offline drivers to revert to. Synapse 2.0 is your only option.

Razers Synapse 2.0 software is always online. If you have an internet connection active, Razer will be constantly using it constantly downloading updates and interrupting your full screen applications.

From the Razer Synapse TOS agreement:

“User Generated Information” means any information made available to Razer through your use of the Software. Subject to the Privacy Policy mentioned above, you expressly grant Razer the complete and irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the User Generated Information and derivative works thereof in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind.

By using Razer Synapse 2.0 (“Synapse”), the Subscriber agrees that Razer may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information. Razer may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Razer shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.

http://www.razerzone.com/synapse2/subscriber-agreement
    http://www.razerzone.com/synapse2/privacy-policy

I'm guessing the Synapse 2.0 software was not created to benefit customers in any way. It was a ploy to get into your computer and watch what you do and profit off this info.

Forget about it Razer.

5. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    companies totally disregard...

It seems like a lot of companies totally disregard what the consumer thinks now.
    And they only make a change after a long period of time, maybe, and only IF there are enough complaints and they start losing real money. And sometimes, not even then. In the mean time, they collect all this data and who knows what happens to it before they respond.
    Look at windoze 8, same deal. Force it down the consumers throat, the hell with the sheep, the majority will follow blindly because we said so.

Naw, I don't think so. Not for me.

6. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
  7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah cloud could get you on the edge
    personally i like if we as user have option using cloud or not, but some company not thinks about that, they rather pushing their customer using cloud and if you dont want
    the only solution maybe move to another brand

8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    So you cant just plug it in and use it? Without the software

9. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    you can use it as a basic mouse but you can't customize it, which is the whole point of such a mouse. I think this more than their shoddy programming will lead to 3rd party software to customize your buttons without razer interfering.

10. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    I kinda dont like razer stuff either. they feel too tacky and flimsy for me. might just be me though.

GreiverBlade says thanks.
  11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I could not agree more but if your left handed Razor is the better company due to the longer warranty until Logitech realize there is many left hand people out their who want their mice.

Unless they changed it from 2 years to 1 now as i have not looked for a while.

How i see it now at least for my self go for the one that supply's the best warranty that fits your needs as sooner or later the double click syndrome will happen.

@Raw
    Well i been running it for at least a year now and it's never done that.

12. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:

This is exactly where they all seam to be going.

If you happen to moan on there forums they then just ignore you and use your reasonable and timely feature requests/changes and ideas to bring out there next big thing for more money, what ever happened to support ,it seams like a 6 month thing in peripheral's and in some hardware too, motherboards for example(looking at asus here).

im never buying Razor or a Rog product again at this point half assed support and ignorant forum mods abound(these co's obv not Tpu:D).

13. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    same here

time for a little joke: oohh the cloud steal your data and privacy settings and Razer sell them for big money ... wait ... no... rewind

cloud is usefull, in certain instances like savegame and shared works, but since mouse and keyboard have mostly integrated memory for profile i dont understand the cloud hype for that kind of product.

My G600 never needed the configuration tool since i programmed the 3 profile in the memory on the day i brought it, plus the G600 feels way better than a Naga (i owned a classic and a epic) logitech didnt copied the Naga they took the idea and upgraded it to lvl 666x time better :D (whaaaaattt???!!!)

i still have a Lycosa. Orochi, and a Destructor mousepad (need to check if the mousepad doesnt have a wifi chip and if it didnt sent my fingerprint to Razer :D (joking!)) and a Elektra headset (wich sound pretty good and the 2 cable are usefull)

people tend to think Razer is a ultimate brand and buy them with eyes closed, well in fact they where but now they just have a good reputation but the hardware doesnt follow, a G600 feels sturdier than a Naga, my old G15 feels more confortable than the Lycosa and they cost less ... paying premium for the brand's name... yep...

Many other brands do good or better device than Razer but they dont have a catchy name with sounds like "AWESOME" to your ears.

from now i allways ask to test or see the keyboard mices i want to buy and i read reviews before (on TPU obviously :toast: :roll: ) i find cloud usefull but in that case its just a useless gimmick (i run a owncloud server to not depend from other than me, at last on data loss i can only blame myself xD)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  14. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Logitech gives 3 year warranty in the EU, Razer 2.

@Raw: sooo many people pointed to the Logitech G series yet you went with Razer. How can you blame us?

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When I had a Lachesis I didn't like even having the driver running in the background...
    It was a good mouse, but the pointer went berserk just as soon as the warranty expired. I never had a mouse quit on me. Still own a couple of ball ones, and one with a connection which I can only use in a 486 :D.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  16. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Left handers can take a look at steelseries mice, they are ambidextrous. And I thought everyone knew about synapse 2.0

17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah maybe you should read what i said again but for thee sake of it a left handed mouse.. And they only really offer one which thee buttons on the side are in the wrong place and the scroll wheel is stupid.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g300-optical-gaming-mouse

SS XAI failed me after 8 month and was replaced with the Sensei which is starting to have the same issue within 8 months, as all mice do with me double click syndrome...

So which one you recommended me to throw $60+ at lol. I payed $98 for thee ZAI back then.

18. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    No blame at all

No blame at all my friend, not a blame in the world towards anybody.
    I'm just saying', my bad. I should have looked closer at the input I was getting.

:toast:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    Chevalr1c and GreiverBlade say thanks.
  19. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 dude. Told ya.

20. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 dude

Frick: the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 dude. Told ya.

Raw: Thanks anyway Frick, but I wanted a lazer mouse, not an optical one. I do however appreciate your response.
    ;)

21. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    Razer Has always been crap. All there stuff has always had the cheaply made feel and would break if you look at it the wrong way. you always hear of people with there products that break eather a few days after owning them or break right after the warranty is out. They only got so big because of when they first started they where the only one releasing stuff different like they where. Now its just mostly noobs that don't really know what there buying and going by the name. And also some people that buy it just cuz the name sounds cool.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  22. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    i had a double click syndrome on a Madcatz(cyborg) R.A.T.7 :D and the dual sensor who fried up

my last naga classic died partialy : left and right click dont do a thing now but the 12 numpad works and the laser sensor xD 220chf in the trashcan (both went fubar after warranty ...) yet i brought that G600 on a promo at 55chf and still hasnt failed me ... im swiss i should trust Logitech ;)

yeeesshhh its what i explained (except the point that they have "allways" been crap)

23. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    I have never had problems with logitech. Been useing there mice since umm forever. Never used there keyboards tho so i can't comment on them.

24. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    I kept wondering what people mean when they say double-click syndrome. I think I have an idea now. My new mouse - SS Kinzu v2 PRO, when I play Warframe sometimes "I shoot" when I am running and not actually pressing the button, and thus I waste a bullet. I guess this is what happens. But the mouse is brand new>? We are talking less than a week or may be two. It doesn't happen often, so should I be worried? Never had the issue outside a game though- for now that is.

I can't agree all Razer products can be labelled "broken" by default. I am really digging their Kabuto mobile pad- I can't find anything better for being mobile. What bothers me is their overal branding strategy. "Cult for Razer" bundled with the Synapse thingy- I don't want to be part of any cult. I don't want to be tied with their cloud as well, for whatever purposes- data/statistics collection, etc. The 2 things together make me feel like I am being treated like shithead for brains. I don't give a fuzzy rat's rectum about customer loyalty when you try to build it like that. I really hope they change the overall direction of the Brand.

25. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Using the old Software on my Imperator 2013 seems fine.... :roll: