1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I feel like hooking up my PC to my HDTV..suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by happita, Jul 20, 2011.

1. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I've got a 32" 1080p LG LED 120hz HDTV that I have been thinking of hooking up my PC to for a little while. It has an RGB/VGA IN connection which I can use to hook it up to. But there's also a few HDMI connections as well. While I do not have an HDMI or VGA cable lying around, what would be the best option for me to use?
    Correct me of I'm wrong, but a VGA cable connection won't be able to support 1920x1080 @ 120hz right?
    If all else fails, I could just go out and get an HDMI cable and hook it up to my 5850 so that it can display properly on my HDTV. Any thoughts?
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Get an HDMI cable. They're dirt cheap.
  3. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    you can have problems running a PC to a TV through HDMI, as reading text can be hard if you don't get the pixels lined up correctly, and a lot of TV's do their own adjustments to the Picture that can mess up the output, casuing it to run with incorrect overscans etc

Just get both cables they're less then a fiver each

VGA 'Should' run 1980 x 1080 at 120hz but its pushing it's limit

HDMI 'should' give you higher image quality but from my experience TV's can be a bit unpredictable when paired with a PC through HDMI, so you may encounter picture errors etc, you weren't expecting
    happita says thanks.
  4. twilyth Guest

I have the same card I think. I have a DVI to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable running from the card to my AV receiver. From there, another HDMI cable runs to the television.

I use the digital sound from the video card for all audio including music.

I did have trouble with the H67 on board graphics recognizing the computer after going through the receiver, but no such problems with the AMD card.

edit - sorry, it's a 5770
  5. Flibolito

Flibolito

Thanks Received:
    Most TVs have a Just Scan option in their menu. Use that and everything will be perfect.
    Also HDMI is a must but keep the audio going through PC speakers.
    happita says thanks.
  6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i use hdmi, but it's not a must. if you want to keep audio through pc speakers, a vga
    cable is easier(you probably have one), cheaper if not, and can still do 1080p,
  7. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Hey thanks cause I wanted to ask about something again that was covered in some old thread re. resolution. I have a newer 46" 1080P Plasma but when I hooked up my PC via HDMI it ended up at a much lower resolution like 1380x720 or some wierd shit like that.

I'm pretty sure someone piped in about what I needed to do to get 1920x1080 in game but I don't remember the details now.
  8. twilyth Guest

Your pc probably has multiple audio devices. You're guaranteed to have one on a recent model video card. Most m/b's also come with onboard audio. Not great, but adequate for tv sound.

All you do is enable different audio devices in different software.

For example, I use GOM player for my HTPC. If for some reason I wanted to use PC speakers which I can't hook up to HDMI, all I would do is have GOM player use the Realtek audio chipset instead of the AMD (5770) chipset.

Just set the default device to be which ever you will use most often and then set the less used software to use another device instead of the default.

edit - you get to the audio devices by right clicking on the speaker in your system tray and selecting playback devices. Figured I would add this for the less experienced users. :toast:
  9. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't bother. Dot pitch will be terrible with such a large panel with that comparitively low res.
  10. twilyth Guest

That's weird since it's a 16:9 ratio. It should behave just like a monitor. If you go into the catalyst control center, you can't bump it up?
  11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
  12. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I would try HDMI first. Some TVs do not allow native resolution through VGA, and VGA is also rather blurry, ghosty and noisy at that resolution. HDMI allows for a pure digital signal, and should work great if your TV's firmware doesn't molest the signal and do a bunch of dumb processing to make the signal not 1:1.

Also, to the person who said 1920*1080 @ 120Hz, please know that just about all TVs that are >60Hz DO NOT ACCEPT SIGNALS GREATER THAN 60Hz (unless it's a 3DTV, but those will force 3D on that signal). The extra Hz comes from fake frames generated by the processor inside the TV.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    How about a DVI to VGA adapter? DVI/PC to VGA/TV....will it act as a natural DVI source or does it continue to produce VGA quality because of the adapter?
    I'll have to try this once I get home later tonight.

Howso? I'd like to know more about this. The way my computer monitor is set up, the only way it will produce the 120hz capability is only through a DVI connection. Would this be the same way to a TV? Like I mentioned above, will a VGA to DVI be any different in regards to the amount of hz will be capable? Or a DVI to HDMI? If I am unable to get the 120hz, then I see no reason to even attempt to hook up the PC to my TV if it's a measly 60hz.
  14. twilyth Guest

You can only do DVI to VGA if the DVI port is DVI-I (Integrated) or DVI-A (Analog). I'm not sure, but it seems that a lot of the DVI ports now are just DVI-D (Digital). Most cards seem to have one DVI-I and one DVI-D.
  15. Hotobu

Hotobu New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use my 37" for a monitor, it's worked well since day 1 and I've never had a problem. Although I haven't used it I hear that HDMI to HDMI can sometimes be a problem. The best thing to do is to get a DVI -> HDMI cable if that's an issue. From there playing the sound through speakers is simple. Any HD TV should have audio out and all that's required is an RCA -> Stereo mini plug Y adapter. It's really simple.
  16. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    No I didn't think so but I've only tried this once. Will have to do so gain I guess.