1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I fried my brand new videocard today....

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Wastedslayer, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Wastedslayer

Wastedslayer

Thanks Received:
    Well after building my new system i was low on cash so i substituted my videocard with a 9250 PCI just for now. I had ordered my new 6800GS from Newegg this monday and got it today. I also had bought a NV Silencer rev.3 for it just to keep air outta my case. I installed everything and put it in my computer. When i started the computer everything went great installed new drivers and all. I then rebooted and went into WoW to test it. the next thing i new colors were everywhere and my monitor clicked off. I then through my windowed case proceeded to watch my videocard smoke and then 2 or more chips on the back glow bright red instantly. i switched off my computer and took the card out. It seemed theat the NV Silencer had no contact with the GPU core. I then noticed that i had the backplate on wrong and it was not applying enough pressure to the card thus i had no contact. the damage was done though and my new 6800GS was gone. I noticed in the NV SIlencer instructions no where does it say put the bent side down so i had made a mistake that i thought i had done right. I then put the stock sink back on and shipped it back to Newegg this morning. I hope they take it. So now im back to my old 9250 which plays WoW ok but i wouldve liked the extra power. Just thought i would grieve to you all.:banghead: :banghead:
    Thanks,
    Wasted

2. Kryten

Kryten New Member

Thanks Received:
    all i can say to this is.... whups. :D

as long as you didnt mess with the serial number sticker, you should be ok.. if not then they will most likely send you another card. NewEgg is pretty good on their returns and exchanges policy. but only if you made it look like it has never been modified that it.

3. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Geez, sorry to hear that Wasted, too bad videocard GPUs doesn't have any thermal diode to turn them off, or at least underclock them in cases like yours...
    Hope you can RMA that card, but to tell you the truth, by the sound of it you would be really lucky if Newegg RMAs it, as your GPU is fried, but I guess the stock heatsink doesn't have any signs of being exposed to extreme heat, unless you burned it with a lighter before mounting it over the GPU again, that's the only way I think you could fake such an accident... not that it would have been a nice thing to do, but I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. :(
    I share your grief buddy :eek:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im surprised you even got into windows with no contact. Shoulda taken pictures :laugh:

5. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:

they probably won't.
    and if i were you i wouldnt even bother sending it back.
    your own fault for not mounting an aftermarket heatsink properly. you knowingly voided your own warranty. sending it back in hopes of getting a new one is just wrong on a moral standpoint (IMHO, that is). you broke it. deal with it. get a new one or another one if you can afford, and mount the silencer properly this time.
    sorry for your loss, though, but hey... shit happens....

6. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think they will take it back.. shit happens even to cards that aint bin fiiddled with.. from a moral standpoint spectre440 is right.. but i aint quiet so sure i could be quite that moral in the circumstances.. he he.. my local friendly shopkeeper nope.. a big remote etailer i recon i would send it back.. he he

bet u never fit a heatsink without making sure its in contact again..

trog

7. noneed4me2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think user error should always mean that there should not allow to RMA it. Accidents happen and i wouldn't wish trouble on anyone. Its up to the individual company to determine how loose or strict there return policy is and the fact that the aftermarket supports add in cooling only gives new customers more chances to mess it up. The chance of a company seliing there entire stock is slim and they usually set aside some stock to deal with this issue (RMAs) specifically. By allowing looser return restrictions it only encourages consumers to go back to that company for future purchases. I hope you get a replacement guy.