1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I give up.I need help.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Toilet_pepper, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Toilet_pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bought the fx8320 earlier. I checked the bios on initial boot and it got detected as an 8320. My asrock 970 extreme has an updated bios of 1.70 and should detect and be compatible to vishera. After i restarted the pc i got nothing. No video, no post and no beep. Tried swapping the athlon 640 back and still nothing. I removed everything from the case and bench tested it atop a non static foam and still nothing. Tried reseating everthing ang even used another power supply and got the same thing. I removed the cmos ang reset the jumper.

I cant figure out what's wrong. Is my mobo dead? I did notice the northbridge getting hot after a few mins of it doing nothing. Or is my card dead?

Thank you.

2. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What Bios version are you running?

Geofrancis says thanks.
  3. Toilet_pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    1.70 last time i checked. No beeps even with the athlon 640. Thanks.

4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Coulb be PSU or ram just decided to go south or the CPU does no llike the ram. Take the battery out for a little while. No on board GPU? CPU 12 volt connected?. CMOS reset in the correct posistion?

5. Toilet_pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried 2 80 plus psu. I tested the board without the ram and no beep which is wierd. I also checked the cmos jumper and unplugged the power cord and still nothing. No onboard gpu.

6. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    seems simple but you sure all the I/o, speaker in the right place or not come off?

7. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    Well, put on the table only motherboard with first cpu(640, because you know that worked), only 1 stick of ram,psu and vga, remove anything else and try to boot(before give a reset, remove battery for 10minutes without psu attached on mbd), if it is not star/boot, I will say that mbd it is dead, for rma use...

8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The FX8320 could be DOA.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the board to me, much greater probability of that going broke than anything else if the PSU has been checked.

10. Toilet_pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    The mobo speaker is definitely plugged in the right place. And i am sure it is working. Tried the athlon bench as well and it is a no go. Guess the mobo is dead. :-(

11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You said you have a AsRock 970 Extreme3.

Do you still have the BIOS file? Can you make sure that you indeed used the BIOS for the Extreme3 and not the Extreme4?

I used to have an MSI 975X Platinum Power Up Edition board. The board said nothing about being a "Power up edition" board and I accidentally flashed the wrong BIOS to the board because apparently MSI thought it would be a good idea to have two products with the name.

"975X Platinum"
    and
    "975X Platinum Power Up"

:banghead:

Either way, I guess it doesn't matter how it happened because it sounds like it has to go back now. :(

Is that what you flashed in or what was already on it?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  12. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Keep reseating the heatsink.

Some motherboards have safety features which means if it thinks* the heatsink isn't on securely enough it won't boot.

Also reseat the memory one stick at a time.

Sometimes, if the memory sticks are not making proper contact it won't boot.

I doubt it's a hardware fault (mobo or PSU) because if it was working fine before it would be a hell of a coincidence it's failed now. Although its possible your fx8320 was DOA.

Edit:

If your FX 8320 initially booted. Then it wasnt DOA.

13. Toilet_pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    I flashed the bios around a month ago while i was using the athlon so i'm sure it ain't the bios. I got it off asrock's site.

I'm somewhat agreeing with dent with it not being a hardware problem. I better try and screw the default am3+ and use the stock heatsink. I dont have a budget yet to replace the mobo. :-(

14. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:

I do not know which 970 extreme motherboard you own, but I'm guessing it's the first model of the extreme3 (since the others already support the cpu). But if it had the P1.50, it would support the CPU. What version did you have earlier, before the P1.70?

Also, the power on and reset cables, are they in their correct position on the pins of the motherboard, and are the cables ok? I have experienced sometimes a cable that was caught between the chassie and the side panel door, so it actually was shorted. Even managed to place the reset and power cables incorrectly on the pins - so nothing ever happened when I tried to power on the system..

EDIT: Just a thought - but howabout static electricity?

15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    How do you figure? If you didn't change the hardware and you only flashed the BIOS and resetting the CMOS doesn't work, how is it not the motherboard again?

I don't mean to be an ass, but I don't possibly see how it could be anything other than the motherboard at this point.

16. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I agree, try the stock heatsink to see if that changes anything....

Check to make sure that the backplate didn't short out anything on the back of your board when you pull the CM V8 heatsink off.

Solaris17 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. anoobarak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check both CPU's if all the pins on them are okay. I've bent 2 or 3 pins on mine at some point and the computer wouldn't start either.

18. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I didn't realise it stopped working immediately after the bios update. The OP didn't mention flashing the bios.

I'm under the impression v1.70 is the default bios?

19. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    yea op wasn't very clear on his description, and vague on the sequence of events.

Dent1 says thanks.
  20. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    are you use you have a suppoted GPU?

it will not work otherwise. 9 series chipsets dont carry onboard.

21. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Reading comprehension 101, people... OP flashed to P1.70 (official) about a month ago, and the board happily chugged along with his Athlon II X4 640. He bought an FX-8320 and swapped it in, after which the board appears dead. OP claims that putting the 640 back in yields no results. Now can we be more productive?

Could it be that some thermal paste has gotten into the CPU socket during CPU swapping around? OP, are you absolutely sure all the power cables were properly connected when you tried to power on? Have you tried removing the motherboard from the case, and trying it with the minimum of connected components (CPU, GPU, one stick of RAM)?

jmcslob, Toilet_pepper and d1nky say thanks.
  22. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    So there is no POST beep codes, no fans turning and no lights coming on?
    Sure there is nothing shorting the motherboard anywhere?? Could even be just som debris that is conductive, I know that I have had that issue once in my life.

23. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    No need to patronise us. Our reading is fine.

The OP never explicitly said he flashed the bios in his original message. He said he flashed it later in post #13.

Dude. The FX initially worked as he said on "initial boot and it got detected as an 8320" - Reading comprehension dude:slap:

Aquinus and d1nky say thanks.
  24. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    most definetly a dead board... i have rarely seen a healthy board giving no beeps, rather a lot of dead boards, that gave none at all anymore... in fact it was always my rule of thumb, to see if a board is dead...no ram for example produces a LOT of noise ;)

SaiZo and Dent1 say thanks.
  25. Toilet_pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    1.2 was the orginal bios. I have had 1.7 for about a month before upgrading to 8320.

BTW it might be posible that i smeared a little thermal grease onto the socket in between changing cpus several times any way to check or clean that?