1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I give up.I need help.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Toilet_pepper, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, then he flashed to 1.70 and it appeared to be bricked immediately after restarting. You can't tell me that isn't coincidence because it's a dead giveaway of a bad flash. Not to say that he did it wrong but that it's possible for EEPROM programming to fail and it's recommended not to do it too often since it (like flash,) has limited write longevity.

My guess would be that the flash didn't fully work, in that case it's a defect with the BIOS chip which would require at least replacing the BIOS chip with one with a working version of the BIOS assuming the bad flash didn't do anything permanent.
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    NO he flashed when he had the athlon X4 in, I even seen that post

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    If the board is not booting with the old x4 and one stick of ram then it's probibly dead it could have been something shorting or a card not in correctly could have even been the voltage regulators overheating and failing with the extra load. I think you should try and return the board or get a new one and hope both your processors work.

Shit just happens sometimes:banghead:
  4. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    EEPROM typically uses CMOS or NOR flash, and both have >100k p/e cycles of lifetime. Feel free to google it.
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Check PSU and board for faults. I'd first look at PSU, AMD boards can be very picky with PSUs.
  6. Toilet_pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is getting a little bit tedious. I bought all my things at the same store. If I cant figure out today. I'm gonna bring my rig to the store and let them figure it out. ;-)
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    EXCELLENT idea. :rockout:
  8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Ah yeah, I was still going off that first post that made it sound like he flashed it with the PD chip.

So really the machine was just restarted and it never came back one day? It might not matter what the problem is, it very well may not be user correctable.

Ah yeah, I was thinking EPROM, my bad. Doesn't mean that the BIOS chip can't go bad though.
  9. Toilet_pepper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Took it to the store. It is over the instant replacement warranty. They just turned it on and they said they'll replace it. Hope they replace it with rev 2 of the extreme 3.

Good thing I did not sell the athlon yet. I have a cheap biostar mobo that i could use. But it looks like windows 8 does not like it.
    Dent1 says thanks.