• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I give up WHY WONT IT BE A PE!!

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Okay so I thought I had this PE thing licked but NO NO its still unstable when flashed to PE BUT!! if I leave it as an XT and put it at PE speeds it runs artifact free for hours :confused: As soon as I flash it BOOM! artifacts I tracked thru a few BIOS's(very little changes in them really)I even tryed using the Modified Flashrom available here and put the blank BIOS thru it once. I also discovered while in there the ROM is locked(wondering if that may have something to do with it?
I did the cheat way of changing my BIOS ID and clocks now granted its stable and shows up as a PE but the Cat's know its not cuz if I flip to the OD screen its set to XT clocks in there(no I dont use OD but its good reference)
FOR THE LOVE OF RADEON WHY!!???

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
INSTG8R said:
Okay so I thought I had this PE thing licked but NO NO its still unstable when flashed to PE BUT!! if I leave it as an XT and put it at PE speeds it runs artifact free for hours :confused: As soon as I flash it BOOM! artifacts I tracked thru a few BIOS's(very little changes in them really)I even tryed using the Modified Flashrom available here and put the blank BIOS thru it once. I also discovered while in there the ROM is locked(wondering if that may have something to do with it?
I did the cheat way of changing my BIOS ID and clocks now granted its stable and shows up as a PE but the Cat's know its not cuz if I flip to the OD screen its set to XT clocks in there(no I dont use OD but its good reference)
FOR THE LOVE OF RADEON WHY!!???

Instg8r ... was it a XT to begin with? Most or a lot of the Pro VIVO needed volt mods to run at XTPE speeds.... sounds like you may just have a poor ocer and may need a tad more juice to get it going ...

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
nope it was an XT to begin with(unless someones gone and changed the serial# sticker) as for more volts I gave it the pencil mod,didnt make any difference(raised my AGP voltage to 1.6 and "thought" I had it solved. It DOES run AT PE Speeds with ZERO issues just wont run on a PE BIOS!! thats what doesnt make any sense.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
INSTG8R said:
nope it was an XT to begin with(unless someones gone and changed the serial# sticker) as for more volts I gave it the pencil mod,didnt make any difference(raised my AGP voltage to 1.6 and "thought" I had it solved. It DOES run AT PE Speeds with ZERO issues just wont run on a PE BIOS!! thats what doesnt make any sense.

Have you tried to use the empty.bin BIOS then use the ATI BIOS ... make sure you flash the ATI right after the empty BIOS... then the next thing would be to send a PM to ViperJohn or W1zzard

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
yes I used the empty.bin once and used the Powercolor BIOS tho I noticed it had predated my original BIOS so I went searching thru a few PE BIOS's and found that Sapphire and GeCube were of the same date as my original and BIOS version( I log all the BIOS's and check the changes)
VESA BIOS Extension 3.00, Rev. 9.04 info
this is the only major difference I can find in my BIOS vs say other PE bios's like the ATI or Powercolors they are Rev 9.03(and course the Header table values etc.)
tho after using the empty BIOS I checked the info and still had device ID's...
I also wonder if thats the ROM is "locked" could have something to do with it is there a way to unlock it?
BAH the whole thing is rather frustrating as something very small here is missing

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
INSTG8R said:
yes I used the empty.bin once and used the Powercolor BIOS tho I noticed it had predated my original BIOS so I went searching thru a few PE BIOS's and found that Sapphire and GeCube were of the same date as my original and BIOS version( I log all the BIOS's and check the changes)
VESA BIOS Extension 3.00, Rev. 9.04 info
this is the only major difference I can find in my BIOS vs say other PE bios's like the ATI or Powercolors they are Rev 9.03(and course the Header table values etc.)
tho after using the empty BIOS I checked the info and still had device ID's...
I also wonder if thats the ROM is "locked" could have something to do with it is there a way to unlock it?
BAH the whole thing is rather frustrating as something very small here is missing

I'd run it by W1zz....

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
perhaps a good plan Urlyin. it will run at PE speeds(in fact WAY beyond 540/573 was as far as I was willing to push it) on an XT BIOS but as soon as I give a PE BIOS its unstable