1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I got a free 6800LE Card but it's not good , maybe somebody cold help me repair it ?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by eddy, Jul 12, 2006.

1. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hy , My name is eddy , I'm from Romania , and Now i'm out of Found's for a New Graphics card.
    A fried ho got it from sombody a Burned Down Leadtek 6800LE gived to me... my friend tried to repair it and he repair'd it partily to get it working but Wee think the memory's are bad bicouse it displays like shit on the monitor.
    The card is AGP , 6800 LE (i think it's NV40), chip code- 1BHUTOOBM1 0442A1 K Korea
    the mem's ar Hynix - http://www.hynix.com/datasheet/eng/dram/details/dram_04_HY5DU283222AF.jsp
    and I don't know how to find the bad memory on the board and wehere cold i finde some good memorys(I think about buying a Memorie Kingmax FBGA Mars DDR2 256MB PC4300 533MHz module and unmount all the memory and mounth it to my 6800)

it's not urgent... but i need some info how to repair it:banghead:
    Tnx!
  2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Firstly, it could be a number of things....not just bad memory. I would suggest initially to download "RivaTuner" from the download section of this site and check to see how many pixel pipelines the card has enabled. The card comes with 8 pipelines but the "artifacts" you mention could be because someone has unlocked other pipelines that are defective.

RivaTuner will also give you an idea of memory timings and temperatures which will initially give you some pointers to what may be defective. You dont wanna start ripping the card to bits until you are sure what the problem is, that is of course if its possible to make out the screen with the artifacts!
  3. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok right now i'm puting on the radiat-ors and puting the card in...
    PS my fried made a VRM on it to start the card... sold i leave it there?
  4. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whel im my card experiance i don't belive it's the memory , it's working almost perfect... smal smal atifac's in desktop (games i'l try lather) i had a 9800 Pro with bad memory and it was so bad that cannot be repard so i sent it to Varanty! now i'm instaling RIVA... (do I need to instal Driver's first?)
  5. cjoyce1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    nope
  6. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't find where to lock back the pipes in Riva Tuner (i'm not an expert user)
    some print screen
    i Think my core is under cloked... maybe the bios is changed?!

Attached Files:

7. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  8. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Flash the bios on your card to whatever is SUPPOSED to be on there, and then spend some money on aftermarket cooling (GOOD aftermarket cooling, or else you're just wasting money.). If that's not it, I doubt it can be fixed.
  9. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    if the GPU + mem's ar not dead than eavriting can be fixed
  10. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    exactly but id flash the card as zek says to a 6800LE because 1. i dont htink those clocks are right at all and 2. those artifacts you see could be because of pipes and i dont see were it said how many active pipes of course you dont have to flash to fix that riva tuner can open and close vertex shaders.
  11. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    But if someone enabled the pipelines previously using riva tuner, the unlocked pipelines wouldn't be enabled in any PC other than the one the pipelines were unlocked on. Unless somebody has flashed the card withan unlocked BIOS; but I doubt it.

Try installing the driver, if the driver cannot be installed, it means your video card cannot be recognized, most probably because of broken memory modules.

Have you checked if anyone ripped a resistor by mistake? The resistors that are close to the memory modules are very fragile, and ripping one of this small resistors will effectively render the memory module close to it useless.

Check your card for physical damage, if you're lucky, maybe you can find someone with enough soldering skills to solder a small resistor back.
  12. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I killed my first 6200 by making a resistor, copper, and a memory chip connect :p.
  13. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Yep, studying the thumbnails and refering back to my origional post and agreeing with folk here, the BIOS is bad, both Core and memory are underclocked because the knackered BIOS aint telling it what to do! hence the card is not identified and shows as "standard VGA driver". As people have said, re-flash with a 6800LE Bios, you may have to re-install the cards drivers afterwards, on the plus side I think you may have 4 pixel pipelines there that are masked so you just may be able to unlock those through RivaTuner. Don't worry about that now, get the reflashing done, when its working and identified as a 6800LE with a core of about 325 and memory at 600 get back to us if you are unsure how to use RivaTuner to try the pipes - there has been some success with this card.

You can get athe Leadtek 6800LE BIOS from here:

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,26/func,selectfolder/cat,71/page,2/
  14. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    uf...
    I'l repet wath i seed in the 1 post.
    The card Was Bogth as a "Bad Card" my fred had fixed the card adding "Soldering" a "home made VRM" to start the card! and keep it at stable voltage!
    i tried 3 drivers... please direct me wich drivers to try tomorow.
    I instal the driver (sometimes evriting goos smoth) but i need to restart the PC after instaling.After restarting , windows 2003 loads , but before login i ghet or a screen full of lines or a black one. I don't now anyting about changeing/modifiing the bios and turning down the clock's (maybe that how it happend) i'l ask my friend!
    at 800 x 600 with 2003 standard VGA adapter's it's allmost FLAWLES!(the desktop)
    Sometimes i ghet at Device Manager the folowing :
    "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."
    this happens when i uninstal manualy the card. by deleting Nvidia files with driver cleaner.
    I don't know how to use Riva Tuner :(( i can't find the setings where the pipes are specified (maybe somebody cold help me)

If somebody is an expert i'm happy and awailable online
    Skype /Yahoo : ediflorianus
    Steam/Xfire : zermaster
  15. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    update I'm available online at MSN : ediflorianus@hotmail.com
    ICQ - ediflorianus

The bigest problem is It's not responding well when a driver is instaled! in other word's dyes during boot up after instalation!

Attached Files:

• pass.JPG
      pass.JPG
      File size:
      123.9 KB
      Views:
  16. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Yes thats because it does not know what card it is because the cards BIOS is corrupt, so it cannot know if they are the right drivers. Just like a PC, a Gfx card has a bios that tells it what hardware settings need to be enabled and set on startup of the PC.

I can see from your last thumbnail that there is definatly potential to unlock pixel pipelines and vertex shaders if they are not damaged but as I said, that can come later.

I don't know just how good your english is for me to type for ages to give you the instructions on how to "Flash" a new BIOS, my other post gave you the link to obtain the BIOS, a link with the instructions from this site on how to do it is here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/34

If your english is not particularily strong there are on-line translators that can help or feel free to ask in this thread and I or anyone else who is available will help I am sure. A link to an English - Romanian translator is here:

http://www.word2word.com/dicf.html

Good luck!

Edit: sent you an e mail as well saying the same
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  17. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    10x , i understand well but my writing realy realy sux (do no why ... i got 9 at eanglesh last scool year):shadedshu
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  18. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    So have you flashed it?
  19. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep , but it was the same bios as on the card! I'l go test it tomorow (probably) with an IT expert!

I'm realy sad that i canot instal any Drivers :(
  20. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    yes but the previously installed one became corrupt, did flashing a new one not allow you to install the 91.28 drivers after reboot?
  21. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    same shit after flashing... i don't think it's from teh bios...
    I instal the driver and after restart I can't enter windows in normal mode biocouse ther's no log on only vertical lines..
    In Safe Mode it works :roll:
  22. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    hmmmm OK, we ight be getting somewhere, you have installed RivaTuner right? check what the default clocks are for the core and memory....are they still 200 and 200 (Ithink thats what you mentioned before), if they are, use RivaTuner to put the core at 325 and the memory at 600, for some reason the card is underclocking which may be caussing your problems, we still need to find out why it is though and why it wont take the drivers....are you sure the flash was successful? If all that does not work it might be worth trying a 6800LE BIOS from another manufacturer.....BFG BIOS's are usually compatible with most cards, what you think, I used one on my 5900 to flash ot to 5950 Ultra a couple of years ago and my card was Gainward.
  23. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i'll put the card now in, stay on-line , don't go anywear!
  24. eddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know how to OC my card with the standard driver , i can't find the option in RivaTuner
  25. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    OK, type "coolbits" into a search engine, go to the site and download it, its only a small file, run and install it and if you then right click your desktop, go to "settings" then "advanced" you should have the options to overclock, maybe under a tab for your card.