1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have 6gb of ram but a 32-bit OS?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by 3volvedcombat, Oct 25, 2010.

1. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys, I just realized when i reinstalled XP home edition on my machine, it was 32-bit

Here is the situation.

[​IMG]

I have 6gb of ram, On a 32-bit OS, the OS only recognizes a measly 3.5gb of ram.
    Will I still get a performance Improvement keeping the ram in there?

Im pretty sure I wont be able to use the extra ram for anything, but I have 2.5gb of ram not even being commited to the OS?

So what should I do, is it even worth it to keep my 2x2gb samsung sticks in there?

2. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Get Win7 64-bit? Just a thought. Otherwise, from what I have seen, no the additional RAM is not benefiting you at all.

3. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    If you pull one stick it will run in dual channel. Not sure if that makes any negative diffierence. +1 to 64 bit OS if you have the need for 6 GB.

Edit: You are runing dual and it is DDR2 RAM. Just pull last stick and save the power.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I pulled both, right now, Sense i have it on a bench station, a foot away from my hand, From what it looks like, I gotta to get that 64-bit 7 license from my boss :laugh: