1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have a feeling that I don't like Steam.

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Jul 4, 2010.

?

How do you agree with the steam opinion?

1. Yeah, I agree, I use it rarely or not at all anymore.

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Nope, it suits my needs, i think it's fine for me.

98 vote(s)
    88.3%
  3. I don't know nor care because i never used it.

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    This guy says he is a collectable.

So why the hell is he even using steam

If he needs his pretty cd's

I think this is one KIDS mistake on a post on steam.

Because whoever they are, they didn't really use the program long enough, to even find disable options or use it offline.......

:shadedshu:shadedshu:shadedshu
    So this thread is a simple fail. :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. zaqwsx

zaqwsx

Thanks Received:
    ^ True. Know what would be real awsome was if we made a Sticky thread for How to use steam becuase I love steam and after reading this I learned about stuff I never knew steam did. Thanks guys.

3. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    I used to hate Steam. Now that I have two sticky fingered little kids that love to play with (read: scratch up and destroy) CDs/DVDs and not enough storage space for all those boxes, I love Steam.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    -DRM is here and here to stay. Don't like it, be a pirate or buy a console.

-Doesn't take any longer for games to load for me. If anything it's faster due to not waiting for a disc.

-Daemon tools is garbage and interferes with other applications

-Mods work just fine with Steam. I can't think of any mod-able game that won't work in Steam.

-There is some crap and bloat with Steam that isn't needed, that I'll agree with.

-Retail games = disc, plastic, cardboard and other wasteful crap that isn't needed.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  5. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    I have no problems using Steam + Daemon tools.

Daemon tool isn't interfering with other apps, but other apps interferes with it instead. Because it's used heavily by pirates.

6. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Yes ineed , there should be a service without these special digital versions that aren't compatible with anything , ... Steam is the XBLA on PC , it doesn't support , and gabe newells mouthtalks don't mean anything , valve is a corporation not a private developer.

However i didn't knew on much of the things possible today with steam , so I take those advices into account , but on the other hand i had friends who complained they bought original games on steam found them to be freezing their pc , when they loaded the retail , the problem went away.

Particularly COD2 , Steam version has varying issues downloading from http redirects and playing on modded pure dedicated linux servers, not only that, it freezed in 10 minutes, my clan has a server and i was one of the admins later for 2yrs , so i am familiar and quite experienced with these things.(one of the best only-rifle server and private mod in our country :)

The steam application it self is boggling too , I don't know what was about but it wanted to update some month ago and simply didn't want to , gave an error , and then update started again , so it was in loop , so i basically erased everything about steam from the registry and system. problem solved.
    Infact i was going to reinstall it , guest what , same thing... I was giving steam a chance, and found it not bad , but i don't want to waste anymore time configuring a software to run software.

I want to preserve the tradition , i don't want the gaming to be as a service, something gabe can shovel up his back side , steam will be like Xbla , crap games and money milking.

Sorry for ranty attitude but i had all kinds of opinions several times in the past with people not agreeing , they turned out most close in the end , much like charlie who's bashed all the time but atleast he's 90% correct , don't screw around , some sites reporting some tech articles , is half year old news on semiaccurate :p

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  7. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    For me somethings are bad must give the possibility to pay in other ways the games, my friends are not always willing to lend me their credit card.

And then when you download a game you should be able to have it in the language you would not necessarily English.

Anyway if I knew someone's password could have all their games change the password and he would lose all their games

8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I know, I just can't live without that extra 15MB of RAM that Steam takes up running, it is so bloated I can't stand it!

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. Stak New Member

Thanks Received:
    A steam question:
    I am on vacation but bored sometimes :p im trying to get me a laptop so i can game a little here (offline though) so if i dl Steam. And install it on the laptop. Am i able to dl my games on that Laptop without purchase???

And ps: i Love steam :D

10. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    if i understand correctly, you are wondering if you can put your already purchased games on several systems? if that is what you are asking, the answer is yes..

I have steam and my game set on about 5 different systems :rockout:

Stak says thanks.
  11. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Problems with auto-updating are rare, I don't even remember having that problem.

If I was a collector I wouldn't use steam at all. If you remember your credentials losing it isn't a problem.

That's really tough beans if you don't use online payment.

12. I have never had an issue with steam..ever.

I think that the way they sell, and how an enduser can purchase a game is the new idéa.
    The thing is with CD/DVD's, boxes, manuals etc is money.

Everything costs money, you want that to be available, you need to hire people (machines can't do everything), and people cost money aswell. At the end you have a very expensive game, that just might not be worth the cash they are asking for.

Solution? Digital media, "stream" the games to your computer. Now we have an other problem - large games. Say like GTAIV , it's over 10Gb, wonder how long time on just my connection that would take to download..

But some games are ok.

As for VAC, I never set a foot in a server where there is no admin. VAC or no VAC, sometimes when one starts to argue you hear the most common thing "I know him, he doesn't cheat".
    If I would get like 1 dollar everytime I heard that - I would be stinking rich!

13. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I'm a new user to steam, only have 4 games which was free, which in turn lead me to download and install steam for them :D I was so impressed with it from the start! yes it has it's downsides... like steam has to run to be able to play a game, but come on... that is a really petty issue!

I probably shouldn't mention this here, but I was one for downloading games illegally... BUT steam has totally changed all that for me, it's so much more simple and easier, and all the games I'm sure to buy, will never get lost or whatever. and there's a few tips what IINexusII pointed out which clearly argue the words of the opening post,, and simple win's the argument hands down.

Thank you to the free games what enticed me to even consider steam! :respect:

robn says thanks.
  14. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    If valve servers data brakes down or are severely hacked , you lost everything.
    If Valve bankrupts , you lost everything.

15. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, you just lose the ability to play online. Until someone else buys them out that is... like M$ or the like.

16. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Has it happened ? Will it happen ? Unlikely. I have reciepts of all my games purchased so if the servers are hacked I have proof I have the games. They most likely have several backups etc so not really a worry.

17. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, but I really don't believe that Valve will ever be like Blockbusters.. It's to "world wide" to just "fail".

18. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Ahaha come on , just come on , that really far fetched speculation.

Whoever would buy them would turn into even to even more xbla-like.

19. Actually, I bought Counter-Strike:Source on DVD and got HL2 with it (steam aswell).
    But that would not bother me. It's just a game, not the end of the world..

20. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Bleh , what if you lost DNF (in some alternate reality) , I think a lot of them would cry. :cry:

21. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not as far fetched as you speculating that steam would go bankrupt... I don't think you understand the amount of profit these people make with these games... plus the lack of overhead they have is simply envious.

22. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Steam has already said that if for some reason they have to go out of business that they will enable a mechanism to free the games from Steam.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(content_delivery)

System failure

In addition to Gabe Newell's comments, Steam's Support Staff have confirmed that "in the unlikely event of the discontinuation of the Steam network, measures are in place to ensure that all users will have access to their Steam games."[92][93]

23. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    why is this thread even open? this is nothing more then a flame thread with 85% of the stuff in op being false...which was proven in the first 2 replys :rolleyes:

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  24. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think someone might be pissed that they were caught hacking? Now the account isn't as accessible as before... but then once again I am just speculating.

25. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Because most people don't know how to search or even look threw a "system" before using it the first time.. They just believe that everything should be "highlighed" so they don't have to do work.