1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have a feeling that I don't like Steam.

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Jul 4, 2010.

?

How do you agree with the steam opinion?

1. Yeah, I agree, I use it rarely or not at all anymore.

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Nope, it suits my needs, i think it's fine for me.

98 vote(s)
    88.3%
  3. I don't know nor care because i never used it.

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Not because of the money they're getting but i supplied an IF , and not exactly bankrupt , but what if the house burns down , what if an airplane capable of ignoring the laws of physics crashes , tornado , tsunami , lightning storm , HAARP(lol) , ... all data gone.

I agree on the overhead , only 220 people there , but i see the company is private , that's REALLY confusing since they renamed to Valve Corporation from Valve Software, this contradicst everything , a corporation is a public company owned by shareholders and the company being on the stock(which is the worst form of a company for a gamer)
  2. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    cause im sure valves bread and butters isnt backed up somewhere :rolleyes:
    shevanel says thanks.
  3. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    If my house burns down, I lose all of those discs with no way to reclaim them. Your point is????
    Perra and Mussels say thanks.
  4. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Of course it's normal that they have backups but you never know how companies care for that ... if they have the backup in the same room or basement

Chances of that are 10 times smaller

If it's your house , you're the only one that lost it :)
  5. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else had trouble with steam and windows 7 x64 ? I try to start L4D 2 and steam doesn`t run right (the service doesn`t start properly). I can work round it by stopping and starting steam manually , but it`s still a PITA.
  6. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    You have facts to back up your statement or are you just pulling numbers out of your butt?

It's the same thing. There's risk either way. Discs can be scratched, burned, cracked, lost, pooped on, rendering them unusable. People have their own preferences.
  7. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Lol.. You think the US government care good about their servers? If you only knew what goes on with them.

Their is countless servers that have piggy backs on what each other has.. They most likely even have small "image" files that allow them to know what everyone has. Backups every so often so they can update their own backups..

You, as a customer, will all ways have "proof" that you have bought the items from Steam threw your "credit cards" that have been used to buy it.. If, you don't have the "proof" and something happens.. It can even be blame of you to not have the "documents" to prove that you have the games for such "tragic accidents"
  8. _Zod_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I wanted vendor lock-in I would play console games. Steam is nothing more than an elaborate DRM platform.
  9. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    hax i say, hax!
  10. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    -Well I'd agree you should at least crack the launch process of the games you've bought so you can uninstall the rootkit, but I doubt the cracks would work on a steam launched game with the file changes so you'd be out of luck with steam in that case.

-Doesn't take longer to load for you? What games are you playing, that's a very consistent complaint for me.

-Like what? I've never heard of someone complaining about it "interfering" with a program, and I see it on so many types of systems. And don't even mention itunes.

-Maybe you need to mod more games? Again, this is a very common complaint.

-Oh noes, te trees! and chinese babies
  11. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    well bitch and moan all you want, i think steam is better than 10000 independent pieces of DRM that would otherwise come on a bazillion separate dvd's for all my games.

and i dont have to go anywhere to get the latest and greatest. so thats that. Biggest collection on games, just click and BOOM its downloading.

I think the poll speaks for itself.
  12. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    OMG Buttraped. hehe steam winzors
  13. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't kidding when I said you get the same "10000 independent pieces of DRM" you get with the discs, it just only uses the steam drm actively, but it installs both. You get no breaks from using steam in that regard.
  14. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Please. You said yourself earlier that Valve is a corporation and not a private developer. If that's so, where do you think the games come from? Probably developers who own rights to the games and would most likely continue support where valve left off.

Steam doesn't ban you unless you're a douche, you don't have to carry around a hard drive or discs to play your games from another computer, you don't have any sort of problems with receiving a pirated activation code, etc. Sure your account can be stolen, but so can CDs, and the people you bought the CD from aren't going to get on their case to help you get your disc back.

Other than credit card agencies, gov't, any repair people you would've hired...
  15. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Do you get anything back when banks go bankrupt ?
  16. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Up to 200,000 from the government. 400,000 if you're married and using a joint account or the same bank.
  17. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    shit, i cant get anything back from my bank while it's not..
  18. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to see some change in this regard. If you opt for Steam, you should be able to avoid all the always online, limited activations nonsense. The games are tied to your Steam account anyway, so selling them is very limited to begin with. The platform requires login, so why have any other authentication? I was about to buy FUEL and Damnation games when i noticed they have this stupid activation shit. And so i ignored them, even though they were tempting 5€ each. Every protection WILL be cracked no matter how good it's suppose to be. So why complicate things? Steam already prevents every local dickhead copying the game and that's about it. Nothing will ever stop groups that crack games. It just won't happen.
    But for some dumb reason, game developers just keep banging their heads into brick walls with these protections. I mean why the hell are they insisting on something that's not working!?
    Mr McC says thanks.
  19. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    just close this thread now, talk to the official steam forums with your comments they have better answers then us
  20. Stak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you!! NOW I Like STEAM EVEN MoRrEe!!!:D
  21. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I detest all forms of DRM. None of them serve their stated purpose, but rather were specifically designed to control the second-hand market. In this they have succeded. Steam is a method of DRM; however, given that the choice has basically become either accept some form of DRM or simply stop gaming legitimately, Steam, based on my own experience, is the best of a bad bunch. I mean, registering via Steam seems a hell of a lot better than Securom or the Ubisoft "always connected" crap, then again, Steam often includes Securom or other third-parrty DRM without telling anybody (it's on the Dr Ned's Zombie Island DLC for Borderlands and yet removed from the original game :confused:). How hard would it be for Valve to enforce a policy requiring all companies to remove their third-party DRM before selling via Steam? At the very least, they could inform us where this isn't the case, you know, just to let us know exactly what we are installing as it might interest us.

End of rant.

Steam, for all its faults, is probably as good as it's ever going to get, from here on in.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  22. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    They do have warnings on Steam Store if the game contains extra activations or other similar junk.
    So you know what you shouldn't buy. Maybe that will make them thinking...

Yeah, i really hope Valve will be able to enforce DRM free requirement. Steam is DRM by itself, so why duplicate everything and make things worse? Steam as far as my knowledge goes doesn't breake down on new systems because it's not using any low level drivers. Unlike SecuROM, TAGES or similar that install bunch of crap to protect itself with components that protect portected components of the protection driver. And all this usualyl goes wrong when you upgrade OS. And after that, developers either don't exist anymore or they just plain don't care if the game works or not. But you payed for it and then you have just few gigabytes of useless data.
  23. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I don't think this is always the case and in any event the DRM information, when given, isn't always in the most conspicuous places.

Here's an example:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8990/

Do you see any mention of Securom? Edit: picked a bad example it's there, over on the right, but it certainly isn't always there. In any event, if you buy the DLC in a pack, they throw in Securom for free, unless you go through and check each individual title: that's unacceptable, they should just oblige all companies selling via Steam to remove all third-party DRM.

My point is, Steam is open to criticism and probably legal action for failing to properly inform its customers. It isn't my job to investigate in order to discover what they're installing.

That said, I still use Steam and will continue to do so.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I have never read so much misinformation on TPU in my whole life. This whole thread is a disgrace.
  25. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    :toast: but the mods dont seem to care