1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have a few issues. Input is greatly appreciated.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by crtecha, Jan 19, 2009.

1. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I had a serious issue with my Vista 32 bit build over the weekend that I gave up on and reformatted back to a custom build of XP 32 bit. I used it for about all of Saturday no issues. I installed Vista Ultimate 64 bit and I'm seeing a lot of weird CPU activity and CPU-Z is reporting a clock of 1.5ghz instead of 2.4ghz stock. I set the bios to fail safe settings. The clock will read 2.4 initially then underclock its self to around 1.5ghz. I tried to use the Gigabyte easy tune app to get the clock to normal with no avail. Is it possible that there is a power saving utility running through the BIOS?. This is my first 64 bit install and I've never seen this issue before. Also could it be that my cpu is getting less power now? Should I be running the 8pin connection instead of 4? I had very little time to troubleshoot this issue last night due to exhaustion and I was just really sick of playing with the damn thing.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

:toast:

2. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a power saving feature to me, but in that case this should also happen in XP/Vista 32-bits... Unless Vista is the one doing the power saving.

3. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to look when I get home at both my bios and vista for what its power saving features are set too. Do you think it could be hardware related at all?

4. thraxed Guest

Your issue related to your bios settings, its is a power saving issue. Instead of running your cpu at full throttle its slows it down when the cpu is not needed conserving power. Probably increases the life span of you cpu too, you can disable to get a steady clock speed, though if ya got your bios tweaked right, you get a slight performance gain with it on.

5. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    crtecha says thanks.
  6. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ill check that out too. So is anyone not in agreement with it being a power saving function?

7. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    If it's not a power saving thing, you're going to need to dig deeper and get more specific I guess ;)

crtecha says thanks.
  8. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Run a benchmark and watch your cpu speed in CpuId. If it's a power saving thing it will go back up when the cpu is working.

crtecha says thanks.
  9. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    That would explain a lot. Well if it is the cool and quiet setting that would make a lot of sense. This is the first OS that I haven't removed stuff from via n-lite or v-lite. So that would explain why I didnt have the issue before. Awesome guys I really appreciate all your input.

10. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I set my power mgmt to performance. I feel dumb now. I have to say thank you once again. Im just glad that I finally have a stable system. After this weekend I hope I dont have to format for a long time. "finger crossed"