1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have a freezing problem narrowed down, now what?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CarolinaKSU, Nov 17, 2008.

1. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I have done multiple tests on my rig to try and stop random freezing and it definitely associated with my RAID array. I took down my raid and ran XP off of my old standalone drive, i also ran some Orthos tests and gamed with the single drive and also let it download for long periods and also just idle for hours. All of these work just fine.

However, the RAID drives are definitely the culprit, mostly during long extended use periods, like torrents and large downloads and gaming. It idles just fine when the drives aren't active but after extended writing, i get lock ups. Any ideas on what is going on and is it possible to fix it without losing my data?

2. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    I have had slightly different RAID stability issues but you never know. It seems my RAID failed when the page file experienced high usage. I could never find out what was wrong, tried higher NB, VTT and FSB voltages, checked RAM, tried no OC on the CPU, none helped in the end. I fixed my problems by installing another non-RAID drive as the page file.

3. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I have done that already, still does it.. I am totally at a loss with this damn thing. It's like owning a race car for your daily driver. It's blazing fast when everything is tuned and in tip top order, but stuff breaks, and breaks often with catostrophic results :banghead:

4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    well in your case it may be diffirent but like sid before if your system pages at all try shutting down the PF if you dont or dont want to if your doing HW raid try actively cooling the controller

5. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am doing software raid on a 680i mobo and the page file is already on a completely seperate drive. Are there any tools that I can use that do a better job than CHKDSK in the windows recovery console? I really dont want to RMA these drives and dont want to lose my data most importantly.

6. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    For 1 the 680i's are notorious for Raid issues along with many other issues! But, most enthusiasts don't really understand, that the Raid controllers that are installed on todays motherboards are pretty much the very low end of the controllers. Do a google search on raid controllers and you will find that most of the controller cards are well into the 100 to several hundred buck range.
    That being said, I am not sure there is really any way of keeping the data on the drives if the raid 0 goes to crap:banghead:

The only suggestion that I can see really, is to try and find a large drive, ie 1tb, and try and back up as much data as possible, and take the raid down. I know that this is not the answer that you are looking for, but unfortunately I am not sure that there are many options out there with out spending a ton of money on a data recovery method..........

I also don't believe that the raid will hold together long enough, from what you are describing, to back up a complete image with a program like Acronis. It sounds like it would crash before finishing the task

I know none of this was good news, and hopefully someone can shed some other light and ideas on saving your personal data, but I think you will need to find a large hard drive and do a little at a time until you get all that you need and then take the raid down.

CarolinaKSU says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    The more and more I think about it, that may just be the only option. Although, I changed my page file settings and instead of having it completely turned off on the RAID array and moving it to the standalone drive, I have checked the "system managed size" for the RAID drives. So far (knock on wood) it hasn't locked up again. Could that simply be the answer? It just seems to simple to make any sense..

8. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    :laugh::laugh::laugh: Well I suppose that could be a possibility!!! Damn, as you said, that is almost too damn simple :laugh:

I am not too sure how Raid works with having the paging file on a separate standalone hard drive? It may need a paging file on the Raid array as not to confuse the OS, not really sure, hmm that is something to study up on, and check for further diagnosis :rockout:

But man, that's great that it hasn't borked on you after setting the paging file up on the Raid array...................Good luck, and report back either way.

9. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bingo, I was about to post something similar but no need. IMO get yourself a raid controller. Areca raid controllers are suppose to be one of the best (the higher end models). However, they are very expensive. There's one more but I don't remember the name.

10. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Yep, that is probably the best idea!! The 680i's had more trouble than others, but all of the built in motherboard Raid chips pretty much suck LOL. Of course most decent Raid controller cards will be pretty pricey :eek: