1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have an unusual, and frustrating problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Simusar, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Simusar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently purchased new RAM and video card to improve my PC's gaming performance. Before the upgrade I had 6GB (3x2GB) of RAM installed into my Sabertooth x58 motherboard, but my system was showing only 4GB usable. I purchased a 24GB (6x4GB) package with the hopes of not needing to upgrade my RAM for a while. With the new RAM installed into the same motherboard, only 8GB shows up in BIOS and Windows(7 64bit) as available. Secondly, I upgraded my Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX to a GTX 580(3GB), and while the computer itself runs fine, every game I try to load up causes the computer to restart as soon as the ingame graphics load.

I've tried adjusting the power and speed setting for the RAM in the BIOS but have not seen either issue resolved. I have uninstalled the graphics card driver and reinstalled it, same effect, only now that the ingame graphics load faster, meaning my computer restarts sooner. I am planning to try testing my RAM slots to see if any are dead.

Any assistance/advice that can be given would be greatly appreciated.

Games tested so far are SWTOR and Deus Ex: Human Revolution (both caused the reboot).

2. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. The RAM could be because you have faulty slots if it's consistently reporting less than what it should. Also, Home Premium has a limit of 16GB IIRC. With regards to the GPU issues, if it works fine with your 9800GTX, then it could be a faulty card. Download Furmark and run it to see if it reports massively high temps or something.

3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well on the computer restarting when you load a game right away points to me that perhaps your PSU is not up to the task(the 580 is pretty hungry)Filling in your System Specs would help with that.
    I don't know alot about X58 and RAM handling other than it is Triple Channel. I do know that Windows 7 Premium has a 16GB Ram limit while Pro and Ultimate have 192GB limit.

4. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Ok. About your ram, im running 12g and last night it said 8g installed. Now b4 that it did say 12g. The only thing i did was plug a fan on the cpu fan motherboard pins. I took it off and now its back to saying 12g again. Dont ask why coz i dont know!. Anyway try that dude. Put your cpu fan on a diffrent motherboard fan pin.

5. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    what psu are you using? maybe its not good or powerful enough to hold the 580 on load and therefore causing the machine to shut down. as for the ram is there a setting in bios thats like memory remap or something? i remember when i installed four gigs on my 775 socket only two came up useable the rest being reserved, this was untill i turned on remap and therefore all 4gigs was usable

6. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Try running furmark without mem load, if rebbots its the PSU. If you dont get a BSOD or any error, its the PSU

7. Simusar New Member

Thanks Received:
    PSU is Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W
    CPU is i7 2.93GHz

8. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    It definitely sounds like a PSU problem. I checked a review of your PSU and it doesn't sound good. Here you have the conslusion of the review:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/9

Anyway I can't think that it's so bad that it can't power your card. You connected eight pin and six to the card? Try to put your card in another PCI-e slot. Remember that adding more RAM also increases the power consumption.

INSTG8R says thanks.
  9. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    give it some more qpi/vtt voltage that should get the ram working ... you need to add voltage once you start going over 8GB x3 sticks
    remember on x58 the DRAM voltage needs to be within .5V of VCCIO/vtt (1.65v ram users beware you WILL permanently damage the cpu if thats not set right)
    for 1.65v DIMMS the VTT/VCCIO MUST BE 1.20v!!!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  10. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    The reboot issue is totally seperate BUT may be a side effect. The random restarts are due to the PSU.

Now as far as ram, try your stock cooler without an overclock on the cpu.

11. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    where are you fucking morons getting this crap from .. that has absolutely nothing todo with anything ..... he hasnt touched his cooler or the mounting screws ...

12. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Didn't let me finish, was working on an edit. I have experienced random restarts like these before a few times and that was power supply. Also, missing ram & nonfunctioning ram slots on similar sockets LGA1155/1156/1366 is very possible due to tension on the socket. If there is a 3rd party cooler involved, try the stock cooler.

Also how do YOU KNOW if there isn't a 3rd party cooler on the cpu involved? As far as "getting this crap from" where do you get yours?

13. Simusar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am and have been using the stock fan. I've taken half of the RAM out (meaning 12GB still installed) and it still only shows 8GB. I removed an old wifi card I wasn't using and my PC is still rebooting when the in-game graphics load. Also it seems that without a RAM chip in the 4th slot (some have referred to it as b2) my computer doesn't boot.

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  14. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    OK so this tells me you have ram install @ A2 & C2? Try ram in ABC 1 set(dark brown Sorry, light green). Really think it all boils down to psu, but even on a stock cooler try reseating it with first trying the other set of dimms.

@OneMoar

If I offended you, I am sorry. I got other things on my mind right now also.

15. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    sorry my tolerance for randomly poorly thought out posts is low lately ...
    lets simplify
    pull the 580 put the old gpu back in and lets see if we can get the ram stable I hightly doubt its the power supply looks more like IMC load stress or maby a bad IMC in the cpu .....
    start with 2 sticks and test 2 and a time ...

16. Simusar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm in the process of testing each slot one by one with the same chip. So far the tan ones have worked but the brown ones haven't.

##Edit##

Tested all 6 slots. All of the brown ones (ABC 1) have not worked. Only the tan (ABC 2) have worked.

17. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I thought as much, something iffy with the mobo. Bad RAM slots are a dead giveaway.

18. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Upon just experiencing it recently with this Max 3 I am using right now, this is why I stressed the cooler. I had a Dark Knight installed on it and A1&2 didn't work AT ALL until I installed the H50.

19. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    sounds like psu issue to me aswell.

i'm currently dealing with the same issue. had to lower oc to stock, and unplug a few hard drives and fans to get stable. this happened after i added a second gtx 470 to my rig.

i would suggest buying the best psu you can afford. psu's are the heart of your rig, and usually get moved from build to build for a few years before retirement. i bought my pc power&cooling Silencer 750 Quad, back in 2007 and it has served me very well until now.

i just saw that you are running a decent brand 750watt psu, that should be enough to power the rig and a 580. keep in mind that a psu will loose output capacity over time. so if it is several years old like mine is, it may not be capable of 750watts anymore.

i'm not familiar with x58 platform so i can't offer any more help on the ram front.

20. Simusar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't overclock, haven't felt the need to.

With one RAM chip in each of the tan slots the BIOS shows 12 GB of useable RAM

21. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    And Windows reports as .... ??

22. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    don't go buying ANYTHING until you are sure you have a problem Put the 9800gtx back in and see if that solves the resetting ... sheese people will you read and think here ...
    a: if the power supply was at fault there is a 70% chance that it would NOT cause the ram issue hes having
    b: if the ram/cpu/socket is at fault then there is a 99% chance it WOULD cause the stability issue he is having ...
    throwing parts at a problem when you dont even know for sure thats the issue is WRONG

A: pull the 580 out put the 9800gtx back in
    B: up the VTTVCCIO voltage to 1.20v (+0.25mv should do it)
    >test it;else
    for the sake of humoring jrracing: do
    pull the heatsink off the cpu pull the cpu from its socket and inspect the socket for bent pins and then reset everything with fresh paste ..
    and you also might need to face the fact that the cpu you have simpley wont run more then 8 or 12gb of ram no matter what you do ... officially intel lists max support as 16gb but 99% of the time you need todo a lot of fiddling to get more then 8 to behave ...

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  23. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    was he using all the slots before? If he wasnt uising all the slots and got more ram and populated them then couldnt it be an issue?

24. Simusar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shows 12GB as well.

And...

Computer still restarted once in-game graphics loaded

##Edit##

Reinstalled the 9800 and reinstalling the drivers

25. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    With 9800GTX or GTX580?

Ram issue isn't totally solved yet ..... try the other 3 sticks along with it you current ones next.

EDIT:

Saw your edit so it restarted with the 9800GTX also?