• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have couple of questions about my build..

sammy29926

Hi everybody,
I am trying to build my first computer on a very tight budget...
Following is the link for my project;

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=26291

Fist being out of computer scene so long i ended up learning about all the new stuff.. Thank you for your help .. I have couple of questions i like to ask about how to connect my hard drive and dvd room etc to my motherboard.. and some more info on sata and raid etc.

I have sata hard drive and i have 4 sata connection at my MB. Sata1, sata2,..3,...4.I assume i have to connedt the hard drive to sata 1 connection but do i need to set the jumper settings on the hard drive? My dvd rom is a Eiede Dvd rom and i ahve primary EIEDE and secondary EIEDE connection at the MB. I am planing ot have 2 dvd roms on this computer and do i need to set th ejumber to slave and master even though i use two seperate cables to connect them to MB connections?what is a raid drive or what is those connections are for? Do i need to connect dvd rom audio connection to mb dvd rom audio connection? My motherboard is Asus A8n-sli socket 939 . After installing the cpu and conecting everything when i first power up the motherboard how am i suppossed to install thE OS ? I bought th eMB used and i do not know naything about its bios settings can i just reset it to factory defult bios settings?

Thank you for your help and i am sorry about my stupid questions...
Sammy

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
1. SATA Hard drives don't typically have master/slave jumpers.
2. If the optical drives are on seperate cables just leave them both as either master or cable select.
3. You might as well connect the audio connectors, it only takes a second. (Supposedly you get better quality sound from CDs and DVDs).
4. RAID.
5. To install the OS make sure you have set your CD ROM drive to boot in BIOS, then insert your Windows installation disc and follow the onscreen instructions.