1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have no idea where my mother is, what she's doing, or even if she's alive

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by hat, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Except it just dosent work that way. If life was so easy there would be 75% less drama in this world.

hat says thanks.
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    What if your perception of reality is wrong? What if someone you cared about was actually in trouble and you failed to act? You'd be kicking yourself the rest of your life. Again, better safe than sorry.

hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    My perception is perfectly fine. If you read what I typed you'd have the answer to your question. There won't be a huge search for his mommy unless he has any reason to suspect something is wrong, something he so far hasn't given, so calling the cops is a waste of time. He isn't gonna find her himself if he doesn't know where the car hit the water, he has no clue where she might be as he doesn't know where the person she went to lives. So realistically, if there is something wrong, what can he do?
    Like I said, it's like Christmas presents, nothing he does changes the outcome.

4. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    You're so wrong. You may be naive and honestly, it concerns me not.

hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Dan, are you for real or are you a bot??? Your posts here make me doubt if you're human at all, sorry!

Hat: Do you know where Lenie lives? Maybe online if you search for Lenie and her street you might get the number?
    Maybe if she doesn't live far (and you know where she lives) you could drive there or ask a friend to drive you there?
    I hope you get it sorted out soon...
    (I realise that while I'm typing out this post it's around your 5AM...)

hat says thanks.
  6. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lighten up people. All Dan suggested was that there's nothing much you can do at 2:30 AM, seeing that she's been away for a mere 3 hours now. It's better you avoid paranoia that makes things a little worse. Imagine what an embarrasing situation it would be if she turns up in the morning and you had her "absense" reported to the cops. Of course you can take it up with the cops if she doesn't turn up then. Now, does it matter if it was put in the way Dan put it? If you ask me, it doesn't, given that how other suggestions were. Wait for 8:00 AM.

7. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Instilling a false sense of hope (a.k.a. lying) doesn't do any good either. It is rather counter-productive. I did all I can do for now and that is to tell him his options.

hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Being human is quite overrated.

9. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow..... Regardless I hope your Mom is ok. Post as soon as you know what's up.

hat says thanks.
  10. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    That's not instilling false hope either. It's called talking sense into someone.

"Hat yuo da man, she could be drowning somewhere halp!" is called instilling false confidence. What dan is suggesting is that he extends his threshold for action/panic, and not end up being a an hero at 2:30 AM.

You're seeking advice on such a personal issue from a computer hardware / gaming community. Make do with all sorts of suggestions.

11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I woke up around 6:30, called her and actually got a call back this time. I don't know why she answered before. She said that the situation was "really bad" with her friend and if she wants to talk on the phone she has to go to the bathroom or something...

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Ack, I hope she isn't in danger.

@btarunr: The time is rather irrelevant when it comes to emergency scenarios. Yes, 2:30 AM is rather inconvenient but, to save a life, it's worth it. Such is the field of medical, police, and fire emergency response teams and support staff. We can't control when a random spark decides to ignite a building on fire, when someone is reported dead or missing, or when someone has a heart attack, stroke, or kidney stone.

hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im glad you heard from her.

hat says thanks.
  14. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I am. Or was, rather. Some people have this mentality that just because I'm on a tech forum that I can't be helped with any personal problems I may have here. Well I call BS, because most users aren't bots/robots (we get the occasional spam-advertiser), and have gone through things themselves.

If you could open my life like a book you would see that I've put up with more than enough shit already to cover somebody's lifetime. I guess I've just reached breaking point because nothing like this has ever happened before, esp. not answering the phone.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    What's relevant is to judge between normalcy and emergency. Not blindly jumping to "it's an emergency" just 3 hours into the absence of someone, is what was suggested.

Now imagine if hat took it to the cops at 2:30.

"when did you last see her?"

"3 hours ago".

Which is why, accept dan's opinion. Your life and what you've been through, isn't of a consequence to him, the OP/thread topic is, and to which he gave you his suggestion. No need to pick on that.

16. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    It wasn't 3 hours. The last time she called me was around 11 which was around 3 hours ago yes, she actually left for the house at 6.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    @btarunr: Some places will act, others will take notes and wait, and still others will tell you to call again in a day or two. It is different for every locale. It is the dispatcher or other representative fielding the call to make that decision, not yours.

hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Errr Bta i think ppl were just showing compassion wich just because were in tech forum doesnt mean we shoudnt show it. Hat mate im glad your mums ok hopefully her friend will be ok and i know that if i was in your situation i woudnt be super calm id be exactly the same as you have been.

hat says thanks.
  19. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    ...which nobody opposed. All that was asked for was that you be tolerant to all opinions until they're genuinely over the top, which evidently they weren't.

20. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad your mom's okay Hat, but lol do tell her not to worry you so much if it has to happen again! I mean imagine what trouble you'd get yourself into had the situation been reversed...... ;)

hat says thanks.
  21. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
  22. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    :eek:
    Can I give you a e-punch in the e-face for that?

hat says thanks.
  23. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Sure. But be sure not to hurt your e-fist on my robotic e-face.

24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well Ill be honest with you guys. My "mom" bailed on me one day which happen to be my birthday. I saw the bitch one time after that. I was raised to see death as a part of life and ever since I was a kid its been there. If my dad died tomorrow my biggest fear is someone would rob his house while I was at the crematorium. Shit happen. It WILL happen to you. Just deal with it and move on.

Posting on a tech forum personal issues and seeking advice is beyond pointless. I post stuff on here thats personal to make someone laugh or be an example. Not to seek advice. I hate to sound like a mod pet but I have to agree with dan on this one. Installing false hope is a waste of time and counter productive.

25. lamil

lamil New Member

Thanks Received:
    I go missing for days at a time and no one cares about me =*(

hat says thanks.