1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I love the smell of new hardware in the mornin'(Main Rig P55 Upgrade time!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by newtekie1, Jun 11, 2010.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Finally got the last bits in today.

[​IMG]

Upgrading:

Thermaltake Toughpower 750w -> Corsair HX850(Not really needed, but the fan in the Thermaltake has been buzzing.)
    eVGA 780i -> eVGA P55 FTW 200(If your going to go P55, do it in style!)
    X3370 -> i7 875k(Unlocked Intel for under $1000...did Hell freeze over?)
    XFX HD4890 -> eVGA GTX470(I must admit, I've been playing with this already for a few weeks, I couldn't resists while I wait on the other parts.:laugh:)
    8GB G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 -> 8GB(4x2GB) Corsair DDR3-1600 7-7-7-20(Curitsy of Darwin96's awesome fast shipping! I mean seriously, I paid for them on Tuesday and I got them today, Friday, that is some damn fast shipping!)
    500GB 7200.10 -> 1TB 7200.12(I think this is the first retail hard drive I've ever bought. What's with all these extra cables and shit in the box?!?!:laugh:)

Everything else will be re-used from my main rig. Pics of the build process, I hope, tomorrow.:rockout:
    Soylent Joe says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Nice upgrade, you'll like the cpu's improvements for sure.
  3. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Here is a before shot:
    [​IMG]

Here is the case without the motherboard, funny how the TRUE braket left a mark:
    [​IMG]

The new motherboard and CPU installed:
    [​IMG]

Heatsink installed. This was the biggest bitch part of the build. At first, I tried installing it vertically, like you see in the picture, but it was hitting the heatsink in the middle of the board. So I installed it horizontally, but then it hit the RAM. Finally, I had to remove the stupid plastic piece on the top of the heatsink, and the little light, and the TRUE fit fine vertically:
    [​IMG]

Finally, the end result with the graphics card, new HDD, and RAID card installed:
    [​IMG]

Of course after booting, I found out that the RAID card being in that slot forces the main graphics slot to function at x8, so my GTX470 is running at x8 right now, but I'll fix that this weekend sometime.

Now on to re-installing all my software...
    Soylent Joe says thanks.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt be too worried about the 8X

I run my second one there to keep it cooler on my board, benches saw very little increase @16X.
  5. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    and X16 stresses the 1156's a little more. good rig bro. my 55 ftw was a little trick at first but I finally got the hang of it and they can fly after some tweaking. you wont need it because of the unlocked multi but the sweet spot cpu signal wise is -25 for both cpu and pcie signal setting.
  6. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'm not real worried about the X8, but it does bother me a little, I'll just move the RAID card down to one of the other PCI-E slots next time I pull it out from under my desk to blow out the dust.

Yeah, I took a peak at the overclocking section and was just overwhelmed with all the options, I'm going to have to do some research.

I tried upping the multiplier two, just to see what would happen, but it reverted back to 22 after reboot, so I'm not sure what is going on with that...again time for some reasearch.
  7. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Damn, moved the RAID card, and the graphics card was still at x8. Reseated the card, and still same issue. I'll have to look into this some more later. But for now OVERCLOCKING!

First the CPU:
    [​IMG]

This is the clock I decided to live with 24/7 for now. The CPU does 4.0GHz@1.3v, but it gets insanely hot. It doesn't help that it is summer, and the room my computer is in hits 90°F easily.

Now the GTX470:
    [​IMG]

These are the clocks I decided to stop on, it might go higher, but to get these I already had to max out the voltage. After running this speed/voltage combo for a day, and my room hit 95°F while I was playing games, I decided to drop back to stock clocks and actually undervolt it below stock voltages. Performance is still great.:D
  8. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Looking good Newtekie. Looking good.

I'm with Sneeky/overclock, on the worring. I've been threw the FTW, UD7 and this Trinergy to see that there isn't anything wrong with having card, cards, at x8 on these chips/mobo's. I really wish I didn't give up my FTW or Ud7 after seeing that their was no gain on having:

• x8 card
    • x8-x8 crossfire
    • 16x card
    • 16x-8x crossfire
    • 16x-16x crossfire

But, I like your set-up man. Looks real nice. :toast:
  9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i like the unlocked comment can i add it doesn't overclock any different even unlocked :p great clean build newteckie :toast:
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I'd need some extreme cooling to decide for sure if the unlocked multiplier helps overclock any differently. However, I can say anyone on air doesn't need one of these to be unlocked. In fact, I only have the 875K because it was cheaper than an 860...:laugh:

I will say that overclocking using the unlocked multiplier feels lazy, but maybe that is the old school overclocker in me. We didn't have fancy unlocked multipliers back in my day! We overclocked our processors with jumpers! And walked to school, in the snow, uphill, both ways...oh wait, sorry got off on a tangent there.:eek::roll:
  11. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    This made me lol :laugh:

And congrats on the new toys, I am jealous, hmmm I sense a performance build coming later this year!! :toast:
  12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry I hear you on that that's why im going back a little bit s754 hasn't got unlocked multis but no jumpers either
  13. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I remember with my only unlocked qx9650, I had the multi at 9 for 24/7 but it went to 17x for my 4.7ghz run.. lol.

Man, I remember the good days..oh, how they were fun!
  14. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    which slot is your raid card in?? I hear the only way to keep X16 for slot 1 is to put it in the bottom slot (X4) yeah word has it those 875k's were more of a PR stunt than anything, most dont oc anybetter unlike the Q9XXX series the unlock multi helped this chip not so much, what is your standard voltage?? its odd, the voltage in your screenshot actually is higher than mine with same clocks but higher bclck. lol got me puzzled a bit
  15. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I think the standard voltage was 1.20v, it is set to 1.25v in the BIOS, but gives between 1.26 and 1.282v w/ VDroop control enabled.

I'm still kind of tweaking really, so the voltage might go a little lower. Got it runninag 4.0GHz, then lowered it to 3.6GHz because of the heat, then started backing down the voltage. I only left it at 1.25v because I knew it worked at 3.6GHz, and I wanted to get some time playing some games instead of tweaking all night.:D
  16. HUSKIE

HUSKIE New Member

Thanks Received:
    cool stuffs... i hope your pc runs very fast....
  17. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice box. Move the RAID card to the last slot, your graphics card will run at x16.

edit: you've tried that.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  18. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    Good luck with your new rig. I'm sure she'll do fine :D
  19. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I haven't tried the very last slot, but I'm guessing that is what I need to do.

The manual is lacking to say the least when it comes to the PCI-E configuration and how the slots work. I really wish motherboard companies would pay more attention to explaining that to the user.

On the big fold out document that came with the board, that explains the layout, the slot configuration says:

x16/x8
    x16
    x16/x8
    x8

So my assumption when I put the computer together was that the first and third slot share bandwidth. So putting the graphics card in the first slot, and the RAID card in the second and leaving the third empty would give the card the full x16 bandwidth. I guess I'll have to move the RAID card to the last slot.
  20. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Well crap, even with the RAID card in the 4th slot, the graphics card only get an x8 connection. If I remove the RAID card entirely, the graphics cards get x16.:mad:

Maybe if I move the graphics card to the second slot...