1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I might be getting PV panels! :D

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Black Panther, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The applications are due to come out later on this month.
    Well, I've already paid a deposit so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Awesome :D

3. DriedFrogPills

DriedFrogPills New Member

Thanks Received:
    they did offer grants for Aussie homes to get them, we have them here on our house. Thanks to K-Rudd

4. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    If you want to improve the efficiency of the panels they make panel holders that will track the position of the sun throughout the day to minimize the angle of reflection for the sunlight. I can't remember the price since the last time I checked them out but if I remember right it's pretty negligible compared to the cost of the panels. Most include some software so all you have to do is enter your longitude and lattitude and they do the rest.

5. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Update... :ohwell:

So like our government. First it promises stuff, then a press release was made declaring that the date to receive applications for the panels is now postponed to late June! :shadedshu :mad:

I just wish I could similarly postpone paying my tax return! :mad::banghead:

6. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL. Who says EU is all that different from the US? :laugh: I just wish a program like this existed at all in the US.

7. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Just like everyone else's. At least its not cancelled, and during summer months you don't use as much power.

8. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    With the panels I can set up a couple or more Pentium 4's I got lying around to crunch together with my desktop, kid's pc, and try to get a couple of good-priced quads to leave crunching 24/7.
    I've got enough parts to build another two pc's - just need the 2 mobos and 2 cpu's.
    Without the panels the husband starts questioning why I'd need to have computers turned on while we're asleep or not at home. He's very computer illiterate and can't understand the concept behind crunching - the last time I tried to explain how it works he replied that it's better to just write out a cheque and post it to some charity... :rolleyes:
    :laugh:

9. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: Your husband should be ashamed of himself, letting his wife do all the tech things for him.

10. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's funny, this is about the same thing the wife said to me about crunching. :laugh: BP, I swear if you weren't married, you'd be a geeks dream. ;)

11. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I live a 2 miles from the sea in a tropical country, i've been doing a feasibilty study on wind and solar but right now im so broke its not funny ... maybe ina few years ...

12. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    :roll: :roll:

Paul, what we talked about? You'll have it tomorrow morning, I'll pm u later, at work right now so I'm doing my best to get a post or two in via my iPhone. :toast:

13. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Lol taken in context that sounds really funny... :wtf: :laugh:

14. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Dammit BP, always! :(

We still luv you though :D

15. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    that would be sweet if it passed. to bad your in the EU then i could sell my Q6600, and mb and get a i5 :)

16. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    :cry:

I should have known it was too good to be true.

Hell I paid a €1000 deposit last March for these.
    It was said the government will give the go ahead in April.
    Then it was postponed to May... and then to June........ :rolleyes:

Now that it's late June we just heard on the news that the scheme is to be postponed for "indefinitely" :banghead:

F........ sorry I'm losing it now but heck they didn't postpone the building of a 'new' powerstation which pollutes more than those built in 3rd world countries and for whom someone's getting a €4,000,000 commission as long as it's BWSC who's taking care of the middle-person-guys notwithstanding that it's BLACKLISTED by ALL the major banks of the world OMG......

I don't have any choice except to demand my deposit back. Heck there's so much I need to have done with €1000, I don't need to have them tied up for the government to decide at someone else's own whim when it's comfortable for some persons' pockets to have solar panel contracts done in Malta... :shadedshu:shadedshu:shadedshu

I better stop ranting now because I feel so pi.... I'd got to ban myself if I really vent out! :mad::banghead:

17. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    I'm not really sure on the whole thing going on here. However just relax for now, and get your money back. I am sure they can't deny your refund if it got postponed indefinitely.

18. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    F i n a l l y... (I just realized how long this has been dragging on through the uber-oldness of this thread:shadedshu) I got my application approved:rockout:, actually I mean all the applications submitted and conforming to the requirements got approved, mine included. (Our government's got a way of stretching things when it comes to paying........:rolleyes:)

So yes, I will be having my 18 PV panels at last - bound by contract to be ready installed and functioning before April 2011... but better late than never huh..

This way I will be able to afford building keeping a couple of crunchers from the spares I got and have them running at my home 24/7 without the husband nagging me on the bills...... :D

mjkmike says thanks.
  19. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    WOW i wished we could get some type of setup like that here in americana!

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I support you in your plan. Wish everybody did that.

Good luck.

21. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Update:

13 months later from my OP....

Well, my application got approved, a year and a month later...

I couldn't install our intended 18 pv's because for some reason our electricity company doesn't permit more than 3KWh in panels (which is weird, I mean wouldn't the more be the merrier for everyone?)

So we had to settle for 16 panels of 180W total rating 2.88KWh. Then entire system was a whopping €10,000 investment..... but one day we might get €3000 refund... bringing our expense down to €7,000.

Thing is that this happened like 3 weeks ago.
    BUT yet the electricity company hasn't connected us to the main grid.

Meaning that I'm using up electricity during the dark hours, and when the house is empty during the day we're pumping power to our electricity company without it being accounted for! :(

OK it feels nice having the refrigerator power for free while we're not at home, but all the rest of the extra generated power goes now to the electricity company without being measured. While after sunset we use pc's, tv's, lights, cooking.... And I just received a bill for €500 for that. Whereas all the power we're pumping back to the grid during the day, that's not measured, so it gets lost and forgotten :shadedshu And my country here, we're speaking of 8+ hours of pure sunshine in April. During summer it's even more.:mad:

If at least we get the appropriate meters installed, we'd be paying €0.19 per unit for energy used and €0.25 per unit for energy given to the grid.

22. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Damn, that is some nice electricity company you have over there, scamming all your monies away! My solution: build a monster rig and run it when there is sunlight, and then turn it off when there is none :) Or buy some big ass batteries and charge them. €500 Euros for how many months of power?

23. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    panther, if you do end up getting them, I do have a msi P7n diamond (775, nforce 780i) i would be willing to part with for the cost of shipping to you. it dont have a sound card. I am pretty sure it works i used to use it before i made my backup cruncher an 1156 rig. if your interested let me know, im always down to help out fellow crunchers

edit: so the elec company wont allow you to power your house via panels?? thats bullshit! im almost wondering if it is legal for them to deny you that, I know it isnt legal here in vermont. but your countries laws are probably different. it all boils down to them wanting to line their damn pockets! sorrt for the rant but that type of shit really pisses me off, lol.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
    Black Panther says thanks.
  24. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    You will recoup the cost over a period of "x" amount which is great but the initial cost is the biggest hurdle. They should offer grants or a scheme to get them installed. In places where there is a lot of sun its especially beneficial.

They should research it more because you can store the energy for use at like night almost like a battery or something in laymen's terms.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  25. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Nice i hope that works out for ya.

We have food places here that only use wind for all the cooking and lighting which is pretty dam cool..

Love to do it my self to but the cost is such a shame and there is another possible benefit too were the electrical company can end up paying you money but of course that depends on the weather.. Which the roof on our house is actually flat it be pretty dam cool with all those panels on it lol