1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need a card to transfer 8mm to hard drive..Help pls?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Guttboy, May 3, 2007.

1. Guttboy

Guttboy New Member

Dec 26, 2006
    291 (0.09/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Hi Everyone,

My parents house got flooded and I have the originals of a ton of 8mm movies. I want to be able to transfer this 8mm content to the computer and then eventually put it on DVD.

Can anyone direct me to a product that will take this from the camcorder...it has video and 2 audio cables (analog) to the computer?

I also have a Sony Mini DV recorder that has a firewire output for digital video...can a card do the same thing?

Links, experience, prices, ease of use would be great if you can provide it!

My hope is that I can get it all archived on the computer and then attempt to put it on DVD so they can watch the films of the family again...

Thanks sooooo much!

2. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Feb 26, 2005
    4,281 (1.09/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Little Rock, USA
    I have one of these and I'm fairly pleased with it. It should allow you to connect your camcorder to the computer and record the videos to the Hard Drive.
    More than 25k PPD
  3. Batou1986

Oct 2, 2005
    2,806 (0.76/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Baltimore MD
    actually you 9800 xt should have a vivo feature which will allow you to do the same thing as the theater 550 just hook up the cable to the composite video in, make sure you have the ati wdm drivers installed and use your video program of choice even windows movie maker should pickup the video in from the ati card