1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i need a cpu/gpu stress tester

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stayplation3, Aug 8, 2009.

1. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    my new gpu comes on tuesday and i wana know the maximum temperature my cpu and gpu will get. i have a cpu stress test but that isnt enuf. id like to run a gpu and cpu stress test at the same time to see how hot my pc will ever get. can any1 help me? if i use a gpu stress test and a cpu stress test at the same time will that reduce the stress that my gpu is getting and not stress it enuf? if any1 knows a prog that is made to test gpu and cpu at the same time plz share.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Occt

3. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    o_O is that a prog?

4. erocker

Thanks Received:
  5. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    looks like that is only for cpu and ram. i need one that will do cpu and gpu

6. erocker

Thanks Received:
    If it didn't do CPU and GPU I wouldn't of posted it. It does both.

7. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    it says cpu-chipset-ram. is the chipset the gpu?

8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    The newer version has a dedicated GPU Stress and Artifact scan tests built in man, download it and take a look for yourself. Works quite well imo.

:toast:

9. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    is the newest one v3.1.0?

10. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is.

11. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    it isnt testing them all at once. its only doing 1 at a time

i need one that will test it all at once

12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Hmm..don't know of one man, that's how occt is designed from how I understand it. But it's one of the best stress testers out there for mainstream oc-ers imo.

If you want tests at the same time, then get Prime95, run blend for CPU/chipset/ram, then get furmark or similar for the GPU...or use one of those while using OCCT for the other. Or even use F@H GPU for gpu, and WCG for CPU to donate and stress at the same time. :D

13. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    k but i want one thats made to do them all at once. that way one doesnt interfere with the other and give me bad results.

wdf does the power supply test do o_O

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  14. KH0UJ

KH0UJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ived tried Nvidia stress test in conjunction with orthos just to test Vdrops on my modified PSU`s for 15 minutes, but I dont gamble for it to run for 1 hour, I think im gonna fry my mobo LOL

15. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    ive noticed that my motherboard temp NEVER changes. its always 30c... why? wouldnt my onboard graphics heat it up?

16. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Hard saying since we don't know what your MB is, where the sensor is, what reads it, if the reading is accurate or just a random reading of sorts, if the drivers are reading properly, etc.

I've spent many years of OC-ing running CPU/MB/RAM and GPU stress tests at the same time on dozens of different PC's, if there's a BSOD, lockup or power-off, it's most likely going to be because of the system load or component failure due to not enough voltage, too much OC, instability. That and onboard graphics probably doesn't get too awful hot as it's not too powerful, so you might not see too much in that respect, but as I said before, hard saying if the sensors are accurate, or even being read right in the first place.

Curious why do you want to stress test your PC? Are you having stability issues?

17. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    no not at all. but im using the old heatsink that was on my 2.0ghz dual core on my new 2.8ghz dual core. and i get a 9800gt sc on tuesday which unlike most MBs, will sit right next to the cpu, making the cpu a little hotter. so im finding some good stress testing progs b4 the gpu comes. when it does im gona stress everything out to see how hot my cpu and gpu will get.

also i have a 120mm fan directly over where the gpu will go sucking in air, and a 120mm fan at the top of the case sucking out air. would it be better to suck air out over where the gpu will be and blow it in at the top? or keep it how i have it

my cpu temp has never gone over 60c... and never will without the gpu there. but when the gpu goes in right by the cpu how much do u think a 9800gt sc will heat up the cpu since its right next to it? the gpu temp wont be too high cuz i dont care about noise i will ramp up the gpu fan speed a lot if i have to.

i put my mb on system specs

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  18. stayplation3

Thanks Received:
    testicles

19. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    QFT