1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need a mobility radeon 2600xt bios

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by radicaster, Nov 30, 2009.

1. radicaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I need a ati mobility radeon 2600xt bios, is there anyone that can help me?

I can't find it anywhere, so i thought i would ask here.

The reason i need it is that i got a laptop (acer travelmate 5520g) with a mobility radeon 2600. And I would be intrested in flashing the bios of it to get a bit more performace out of it.

My little project is that i would like to try flashing it with an xt bios, and then see if i could clock it a little, it's a laptop, so the cooling is a bit limited, so i can't clock it very much though, but i'd like to see how much i can get out of it without causing permanent damage to it.

I know i can't expect lots of power out of it, it's a laptop, with a mobility card after all.

If you have suggestions/experiences that you would like to share with me, please do.

I've also heard that a mobility 2700 bios could work on it, and it seems logical, as it's the same GPU and afaik almost the same board, anyone have experience with that?

Have a nice day/night.

Radicaster

P.S.

I'm new here, so please don't be too harsh on me

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have confirmed reports that these BIOS flashes will work?

Its rather uncommon for one to be able to flash a card from a lower model to a higher model. Not unheard of, just rare.

3. radicaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    They should work, it's the same board and GPU, from what i know the only difference between 2600 and 2700 is the naming, the clocks and the bios.

And i have heard that you can do it on the "real" card (but i don't know about the laptop version)

4. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    you've mentioned 2600XT and 2700 - are both of them the same GPU, with the same memory bus and amount of ram?

Have you confirmed your GPU and its memory can OC to the speeds of those cards defaults? If not, the flash may leave you with an unusable card and potentially damage it

5. radicaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same GPU, same bus, and the version of the 2600 that i have has the same amount of and same type of ram, but i know it is risky, so i'm primarily looking for the XT bios. And i know my card can manage the speeds of the XT, and it runs stable. only problem is that i have to use a laptop cooler, because the fans in my laptop suck, so if i want to move my laptop i have to downclock the GPU to stock speeds

Forgot to say, i didi check that the laptop cards are the same too

6. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    why not just modify the BIOS you have, and lock in the higher clocks that way?

Flashing to the updated BIOS wont give you any performance boost over a software overclock, nor will there be a difference from an OC'd 2600 bios to a stock 2700 bios

From what you've said with having to downlock to move it around, BIOS flashing would be a bad idea. it'd mean it'd overheat no matter what, since you couldnt turn it down as easily.

radicaster says thanks.
  7. radicaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, i will do that. Thank you :)