1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i need a psu recommendation

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by keakar, Dec 13, 2009.

1. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    with my system (see my specs) what psu would you buy and why? money is very tight for me so best value for dollar must be considered and not just the best psu out there so im thinking a budget of $60 -$100.

the psu being modular is not something i care about one way or the other

EDIT: i dont buy used stuff
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    If you are willing to buy used, hit up the B/S/T Forum- there are a few good quality PSUs avail for low prices that would be fine for your system (and maybe even leave room for upgrades).
    keakar says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    thanks but i dont buy used stuff
  4. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're willing to go towards the end of that $100 range:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341023

Although, the 700 and 750 units might be a bit overkill, it'll give you room for future upgrades . . . as well, the less load that's on a rated PSU, the longer the unit will last. If you're pushing 80%+ load on a specific unit, it won't last as long as a higher rated unit that would be operating under 50%+ load.

Anyhow, for the price range you mentioned, stick specifically to known, reputable brands. Antec, OCZ, Rosewill, Kingwin, Corsair, Thermaltake to be exact. You'll notice their designs are near identicle to each other (with slight differences); usually means that they all use the same, or similar PSU manufacturer(s) . . . and regarding the companies that have a high-quality reputation to maintain . . .
    keakar says thanks.
  5. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    i say the 3rd but only cause I love OCZ product and cant stand antec psu's. Mainly because they used to really suck back in the day and I never gave em another chance.
    keakar says thanks.
  6. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a power/watt meter?

What do you do with your PC 80% of the time?

The "most efficient" point on the power curve (creating lowest heat per watt, and highest efficiency) is typically at around 50% of the PSU rated power.

Right-sizing your PSU and getting an 80plus bronze or better can save you $ on lifetime electric bills and dB on your ears. That pays for a higher quality PSU.

Formula
    RightPSUsize=max(2x average power utilization, 1.2x stress test power utilization)

Choosing which brand is then up to review, pricing, recommendations. I'm happy with Zalman and Seasonic. I had a BeQuiet given me an unstable PC, and many OEM ones blow, be noisy, or be inefficient.
    keakar says thanks.
  7. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    good point guys, thanks

im thinking of this one

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

its $90 after mir and it has 60amps 12v single rail

i like that it seams to be the favored choice of many so that impresses me and to be honest antec and ocz are not brands that ever impressed me in the past.

all i do with my computer is web surfing and light gaming
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    This is the cheapest power supply that meets my personal standards (Single +12v rail, modular, 80%+ energy efficiency, no LEDs)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171036

Cooler Master's not a bad brand either... although, as a general rule, most 80 plus certified power supplies are good units.
    keakar says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    so you like this one better then the 750 watt corsair for $90 with a 60amp single rail in my link?
  10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I like the Corsair for its power but the Cooler Master for its modularity. They're both 80% certified and they both have a single +12v rail.

Personally, I would take the Cooler Master because it's modular, however, if I had plans to build a rediculous computer with SLI GTX280s and an i7, then I would take the Corsair.

This isn't my power supply though, it's yours. You must answer these questions to yourself:

Do I care about cable management much?

If I do, does my case allow me to tuck all those unused power snakes somewhere out of the way?

Am I going to build a really powerful computer with this power supply in the future?

Why won't you buy anything used? For the most part, people in the B/S/T forum won't try to screw you by selling you a defective item, and prices are lower than stuff found on Ebay. A lot of people who use the B/S/T forum are already well-established in the community. I would be wary of people that don't have many posts and havn't been here for a long time though, but as I said earlier most people have been here a while. I've had 7 transactions here, one in progress right now, all with different people and I havn't had any problems.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Corsair and PCP&C are classy brands. They make awesome stuff. Even their low end stuff feels like it was made just for you.
  12. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well i dont care about modular and i have lots of room in my case so the wire management is easy to get it looking clean and tucked out of the way so without those concerns the corsair is more power for $10 less so i guess i'll go with the corsair
  13. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Corsair FTW!
    Dont be fooled by the cheap OCZ junk they are trying to unload at really low prices.
  14. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    corsair for sure. deffinitly will be worth ever penny.
  15. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
  16. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

Antec Earthwatts 750. I have a 650W Earthwatts and its been very quiet and cool running so far. I've only used Antec since I started building PCs seven years ago. Only one has failed in all that time and Antec was very fast about sending a replacement.
  17. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    i should have went with the one you suggested but i saw the 750 watt corsair was on discount and on impulse i felt it was too good to pass up

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

i think i spent $20 more just to get 8 more amps on 12v rail that i will never need

i hope it was money well spent but i have a feeling i was better off with the 650

update: psu arrived in a day and a half! wow

its in and i cant even hear the fan running so thats nice

thanks to everyone who helped :respect:
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009