1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need advice on a router

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by johnspack, Jul 29, 2011.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It seems to me that it might just be some intermittent issues with your ISP. What results do you get connected directly to the modem?

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Same location I got packet loss, now I'm A without my router. Hmmmmm.....
    [​IMG]
    Edit: even jitter is lower....
    Edit2: thing is, I got this on my other routers as well, what's happening here?
    Edit3: the cables in my building are very old, and I'm on the 3rd story.
    Not great, but without the router in the equation, I get this to Portugal!
    [​IMG]
    What is wrong with my router???

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I improved my router throughput by combining 2 lan connections and bridging them. Not going to help when I need to add more folding boxes though....
    Edit: did many more changes, went back to single pci-e network contoller, now with router on...
    [​IMG]
    Thanks all, lets see how this works out......

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  4. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you try cloning your mac address? Some ISPs *cough* Comcast *cough* will totally neuter your connection unless you do so.

5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    It's the 320n replacement, not 310. And yeah, I have the 320 with DD-WRT, and it works fantastic for me. I bought it on Newegg as a recert.

They are only $40 for canuckians: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124362

Which, astonishingly, is actually cheaper than Newegg in the US: Recertified: Linksys WRT320N-RM Dual-Band Wireless...

The E2000 recert is also dirt cheap in Canadaland: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124407

Solaris17 says thanks.
  6. Hunt3r

Hunt3r

Thanks Received:
    And trendeNet not good?

7. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Looks like I'm maintaining an A on pingtest, and my flightsim isn't balking anymore about my connection. Think it's solved. There's a few other variables I didn't mention, like my isp service guy left me an attenuation adapter to reduce the signal when we first went to over 10mbs service. But since now they've gone fibre optic, I get a clean signal at full strength, no overmodulating, I needed to remove the adapter. Of course they don't come by, or phone you, to make sure you do this. Adapter off, set port forwarding, and off we go!!!!

streetfighter 2 says thanks.
  8. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got the RT-N16 I ordered from newegg. I encountered zero problems loading DD-WRT and the whole process took less than 15 minutes.

I've already installed it at the site and I'm waiting for any complaints.

This thread may have successfully solved at least two peoples problems. :laugh:

EDIT: I found some really cheap 9dBi SMA antennas for the RT-N16. They're Premiertek ANT-9dBi and they're only $5 w/ free shipping at mwave.com.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  9. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, my internet is still working perfect, so fixed. I gained some very useful info in this thread, pingtest.net. With it, I was able to solve my latency issues quite quickly. Goes to show, no matter how old you are, always learning new things. Still think the switch to dd-wrt from tomato was a good idea, it is a better firmware, with all functions in the main gui menu, instead of making you telnet into the dam thing.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011