1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need help deciding i7 or E8500 or Q6600

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by andrewsmc, Sep 30, 2009.

1. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Some of you have seen my FT post with my i7 rig on it. Well im doing some research and i hope im not making a mistake by downgrading from my i7 920. I have read alot and have heard that in a year or so im going to need a quad because games are going to be implimenting it to use 4 cores, And i dont want to have to upgrade... For a while. So anyone who really know wtf i should do? I just feel that this i7 is more than i need for what i do... I do email and i game. But when i game, I want to game fking hardcore. 100+fps and just have my system being killer. So... WTF?
  2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    The i7 is quad core, and based on your last sentence it sounds like a no-brainer, stick with what you have. Not to mention selling off unwanted stuff is harder than it seems.
  3. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Ok.. Schweet. More input plz.
  4. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    +1 to what saqui said,i just got my i7 and there is no way id ever go back to 775
  5. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Thats kind of up to you.
    If your going to down grade i would go with a top of the line Q9550 or Q9650.
    They should be good for a while.
    I saw your for sale thread and thought... Why.
    You have a good set up already and the down grade isnt going to bring you much money at all.
    I have a gigabyte board and a Q9650 that im not useing that i could trade you but there wouldnt be much money coming your way from the trade...If any.
    I think you would be better off just keeping what you have.
    I know we all get board of what we have and want to try something new.
    God knows im the worst at getting more stuff when what i have is great already.
    As i said before its all up to you.
  6. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Like I said in your FS thread, unless your willing to make a large downgrade it just isn't worth it. Going to 775 especially with DDR3 isn't a big downgrade, but your cutting off your future proofing by moving to a dead platform just to get a few $$$ in your wallet. And it sounds like you don't want a large downgrade as you still want a powerful system, so I say stick with what you got unless you really need the money, overkill is never a bad thing, almost everyone here is doing it.
  7. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    i5/p55
  8. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Got to agree with Fits on that one, if your going to downgrade downgrade to something that is on a current gen platform. The only real loss you will be seeing is HTT and GFX card beyond the first slot, but if you run that 4870x2 you should be golden. Later on down the line you can grab a i7 860 or 870 or higher if they come out with more by then, thats the benefits of staying on a current gen, also can use your DDR3 there.