1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I Need help fast- decisions decisions

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by madmanjohn, Feb 13, 2009.

1. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok -i have three different builds in this room, all with the same mobo and a variation- i need educated opinions-sorry i dont have ALL the data-lets start from the beginning- in june i built 3 biostar ta780g-m2-+hp's- originally i built them all with amd 4600's and 4 gig of 800mhz ram- eventually i punched mine out to a amd9850x4 black (unlocked) and 8 gig of 1066 mhz ram(corsair dominator) all has been well-both run like scalded dogs-

a buddy of mine was trying to do the same thing on a budget- and after careful thought, i decided to go with the amd 8450 x3 cause of the benefits of the added core and the extra fsb- 1000 compared to 1800- so i thought i was out and running strong- same 4 gig of 800mhz ocz ram the mobo with the 4600 was using-- i went with the locked processor cause the 4600 was locked and it was running great-so i thought hell a x3 at 2.1 ought to be awesome

the difference between the 780-m2 and the 780 m2+hp is no more than the heatsink as far as the parts are concerned- however there is a difference in bios-even though the mobos are the same part for part, the m2 has a cpu bios limit of 95w while the m2+hp goes to 125w-

this thing freezes and stalls and just generally cant get the job done that we need it to.
    its supposed to be doing a show tonight at 8pm- i need educated advice- there are enough bios differences that it may explain a few things- but if the hardware is the same - then i should be able to run the hp+ bios on this board- and damn a fan someplace it will work-maybe---its only a 95 watt proc and the 8450 is 95 watt- no problem right?

on the other hand - i could put the x3 on my hp+ board and swap the 9850 to the m2 normal and keep my fingers crossed-both boards call for the same identical processors-

im trusting you guys- i need to make a decision within the next hour- do i load the bios from the performance board into the regular board or do i swap cpus- your call - i need help here

any educated input would be greatly appreciated

thanks- madman john
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    bump:rockout:
  3. inf3rno

inf3rno New Member

Thanks Received:
    Load default settings at BIOS setup if it does not work then Swap your CPUs. Are you sure both mother boards are working fine?
    madmanjohn says thanks.
  4. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    as far as i can tell everything is running normal- all the other pcie hardware is running as normal- the only problem im having is jitters and freezing-- to me this defies logic- if a 4600 dual core can do this on the same mobo- then why not the x3?:wtf:

ive dont a lot of builds and all seems well- theres no oc- everything at stock speed- but this ones got me swinging:nutkick:

one thing i learned the hard way 2 weeks ago- our dmx lighting software cannot be overclocked- so i can't oc nothing- :wtf: logic and experience says this thing should be screaming and making money tonight-

heeeellllllp
  5. inf3rno

inf3rno New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would you mention the PSU you are using?
  6. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok- here are pix of both boards-

as far as chips and any listed semiconductors they are identical-

here is the 780g-m2

and here is the 780m2-+hp

the only difference is the bios- if you were to see it- youd see what i mean- they claim that this most recent bios update for the m2 normal board is to limit cpu power to 95 watts-

what im thinking- if the only difference is the heatsink and bios- then i should be able to loadt the bios from the m2-+hp board onto this one with some additional heatsink and get similar results-:wtf:

on paper this looked great on monday-:nutkick::wtf:

ive done over 100 builds- this ones got me batty:banghead:

worst part of this is that we committed this beast to a show at 8pm tonight-yaaaaaa
  7. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    gladly- mine with the 9850 is running the ocz stelth extream 600- this one is running a xion 500 w- but it only has 2 drives as compared to my 4-

the 3.3 and 5v rails are near identical in current

like i say this one was a budget build
  8. inf3rno

inf3rno New Member

Thanks Received:
    You Got me confuse too ;-?
  9. inf3rno

inf3rno New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check the CPU support listings for both boards.
  10. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    i failed to mention- there is a visiontek radeon x850 in the pcie 16 slot- but it dont matter-

the application in question is PCDJ VJ- which is a power hungry beast of its own-

with or without the videos or the x850 it freezes just doing basic mp3 searches-

something is just not right and either im not seeing it- or i got a bad mobo or something:banghead:
  11. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    did that before i bought them- its covered
  12. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    by the same token- this rig with the 9850 also has a asus xonar dx pcie audio card- its running too good to f#@! with-

the mobo with the 4600 dual is running like a banshee- on stock mobo realtek hd

but they are both the hp+ boards

this one is on the stock 780g m2----no hp+ same ram and 100 watts less on psu- with 2 drives less-

the only difference is the bios and the heatsink-

i dont wanna mess up the one to cure the other- i just wondering if there is that much difference with a locked vs an unlocked cpu- but that dont explain the 4600 dual-its locked and it screams-

im scratchin my head on this-:wtf:
  13. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Dio should be pretty pissed, demoting corna to be used for bumping a thread within 30 minutes.
  14. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok- from another perspective-

im on this 3 core right now- doing any normal mundane e chore or whatever- it runs fine- but the minute istart tocrowd it with apps, or load it running searches or mass video-(4desktops)
    is when everything goes to hell-

but the same mobo and ram with the 4600 dual core is fine-

all of them are running the same version of vista 64- and all the same apps- all our computers match here-

:wtf:- im clueless-
  15. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:

im sorry- i did not know there was a rule to that effect- bottom line- this thing is committed to run in less than 18 hours and on paper it should be perfect- im here cause i trust all of your opinions and am pleading for a clue
  16. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Then you haven't read the rules. Bumping in 30 minutes is quite rude. People here help each other and share their knowledge at no cost. The least you can do in return is show some courtesy, some patience in this case.
    Your thread isn't more important than somebody elses just because you have a deadline. It's rather rude to bump your thread in front of others for that reason. People will respond when and if they can. Surely if you don't get a reaction in a day or so you can bump it as it would have sunken below a days worth of threads. Though in 30 minutes it's still on top.

As for your problem, try exchanging parts one by one. You could just have some defect part.
  17. inf3rno

inf3rno New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes it could be the solution swap parts one by one and find what is going on?
  18. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    we have built several of these based on the biostar 780g m2-hp+ mobo-

all of them are flawless- i even have a acer aspire 5050-(radeon express1150-tk56 dual core 2gig ram) running the same software with an outboard 1tb on usb- no problems-

this is the first non hp biostar mobo- the biggest problem we have is when mixing from 1 video to the next- the timebase acceleration causes lockups when mixing from 1 to the other

we have tried different video cards- different mobos- even intel in various configs- all of em have different issues-most of em freeze up and stall-amd or intel dont matter-

it seems to be the combination that makes the difference

this combination normally works without flaw-none of the other ATI hd series works- only the analog cards do well here-

but this one even without the pcie video or audio can barely run- if the hardware short of a heatsink is identical- even the c drives are all the same- seagate 7200.10 250 gig- nothing on it but the OS- virtual memory set at 10240mb- everything matches but the damn heatsink-:wtf:

im about ready to try the bios from the hp board in this one and pray- thats what an rma is for right?

so we lose 350.$usd on this gig tonight-??!!?? and chalk it up to experience?

they are all even in the same antec nsk4400 cases-not that that matters-
  19. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree on the defective part and the rules and im sorry-truely so-

no mine is no more important than anyone elses and i ddnt mean to go there-

this is just so damn aggravating to me-no disrespect meant- and my apologies-:respect:

please keep in mind- ive never bumped anything before tonight- but im at wits end and running out of time- ready to drive to tiger direct come sunup

yes im sorry for my impatience and i will make sure it does not happen again- but when i saw the thread drop off the first page i just reacted- if i didnt trust the opinions of the people of tpu i wouldent be here-

sorry dan, and anyone else i offended by that move-
  20. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    If the PC is "commited" to something else later on, then I'd swap the 4600 back into the PC, go do the show, and take another look at it when you have a clearer frame of mind. There's no worse time to work on a PC with a mysterious problem than when you are stressed or aggravated, you could end up doing more damage, or spending more money than need be.

Quick question though, does the rig in question have the AMD dual-core optimizer installed? If so, I'd uninstall it and see if that helps.
    madmanjohn says thanks.
  21. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    well after a lot of messing around- finally found the problem-

something must have gone wrong when the realtek hd audio driver was installed-

when all was said and done everything was fine til it was time to make noise- thats when everything would go beserk- dont know if it was a bad download or something went wrong on the install

everything is fine now- of all the stupid stuff :eek:

my apologies to the group- i didnt mean to create an issue as mentioned above- but at 5am this morning i could see a potential loss of 700$ in two shows and the price of the computer-

1300$ in three days is a bit too much for this small company-

but a audio driver- whod of thought:banghead:-----thanks to all that contributed
  22. inf3rno

inf3rno New Member

Thanks Received:
    Congratulations you got your mouse.