1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need help on getting better airflow and temperatures

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by tuunade98, Jan 12, 2013.

1. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    Can you guys give me some suggestions on how i would get better airflow and temperatures with this RIG. I get low 30s degrees with my graphics card on IDLE, With my CPU on idle i get about 37 - 45 degrees. While playing games like battlefield 3, my Graphics card reaches up to about around the high 50s, im pretty sure thats an ok temperature for a graphics card right? My cpu stays at a constant 54 degrees, while on battlefield 3. Are these temperatures okay? or can i make them a lot more cooler, by moving some fans around or something? Here are some Photos of how i connected everything.

My computer specs are as follow: CASE: NZXT GUARDIAN 921 BLUE
    CPU: AMD 1100t 3.3ghz 6cores
    GPU: GIGABYTE RADEON 7870
    RAM: 8GB
    PSU: OCZ FATALITY 550w

EDIT: AS you can see in the pictures.. I've got a REAR fan, FRONT fan which is on the bottom, and a LEFT SIDE PANEL fan.

Attached Files:

2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i have the same case, also i think my PSU has more wires too:-
    [​IMG]

you need to do a LOT of wire management.

use the holes on the mother board backplate to route the wires.
    also use as less no. of wires as possible.

goodness man why arent you using the HDD cage!! it stays at the bottom. then you can use the empty 3.5" drive bays to hide the wires and such. also what the FUCK is up with your sata cables.

also i noticed the cpu stays in an enclosure thingy. give it some space to breathe

are you trying to troll?
    :laugh:
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  3. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    LMAO no.. i just suck at this.. and pretty new to it...

EDIT: im confused about the HDD cage part, Ain't im using it? isnt the cage the one on the bottom right? and the CPU part as well.. what enclosure thingy? and omg im soo damm bloody clueless.. WHAT holes on the back of the motherboard back plate, do you mean the BIG square hole on the back?

I thinkk..... i know what your trying to say. BUt my cables can't reach behind the motherboard and come back around to connect to its appropriate spots.. Like i said im seriously new to this. I obviously NEED HELP!!!, lol hopefully i will eventually fix my cable management problem... with the help of you guys..
  4. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    get professional help :p
  5. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    oh god... my sata cables are like that because... my DVD drive is all the way on the top lol...

EDIT: i've also realise that your powersupply FAN is facing up into the case. Mines facing down, should i unscrew it and turn it up?
  6. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    like de.das.dude said, cable management. My brother lacks that common sense and had like 3 exhaust and 2 intake case fans and couldn't understand why his temps were so high(like 70's-80's). open the side of the case and looks like a wire tornado in there.

Cable management and dust collection on heatsinks are the biggest factors i've seen with temperature issues.
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Your GPU is downright cool, the CPU is totally fine. Yes it is a bit of a mess inside your case but your temps are fine.
  8. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    If I cleaned up the mess, how much of a decrease will I see in temperatures?

EDIT: should I turn my power supply around so that its fan is facing into the case?
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Hard to say until you try it out. Maybe a few degrees. The temps are pretty low to begin with, especially the GPU, so it will not be spectacular.
  10. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    Meh I will do it anyway. There's hole in the back plate for a reason and god yes it awfully does look messy. Now that I've seen someone else with the same case as me lol...
  11. acerace

acerace

Thanks Received:
    And I think I'm really bad with cable managements. :laugh:

Most will not reccommend it. Let the power supply get cool air from the bottom.
  12. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    Lol ok thanks.
  13. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    slap another fan on your cpu cooler, you'll get 5 degree drop.
  14. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    dont turn the psu around, i did that because my enviroment is dusty and its a pain in the ass to clean the psu after it sucks in dust from the outside.
  15. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    hows my cable management now? and since you have the same case DAS.. does your front LED lights still light up? the big Y? coz i think mine are dead. I double checked the cables and its connected. I also unscrewed the front and had a look inside. It lights up by a very small light bulb. WHen i opened it up, the light bulb did have light but it looked like it was about to die out..., very faint small bit of light...

Attached Files:

16. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    yes they do, infact they didnt yesterday after i cleaned. the flimsy wires had come off from the soldering. the soldering wasnt done properly, so it came off from the 2 pin jack in the middle.
    i think its the same with you.

btw management is a LOT LOT better! i think thats as far as possible for this case.
  17. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Your temperatures are fine, but jesus have you searched that case for a while? There could be some baby bird eggs in that birds nest of cable. Clean that up and your airflow will be quite a bit better.

EDIT:
    Much better now, but you could tidy it up even more.

Like you have so many areas where you could drill wholes down by the PSU to to route the cables from the PSU behind the motherboard tray and out to where you need to connect them from other holes. Just get extension cables if the ones from your PSU arent long enough to route behind the motherboard.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  18. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    DAS so your saying some of the holes in the 4 molex connector may be out of place?

EDIT: does your one actually light up really bright dark blue...?
  19. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    no not the molex connector. if you follow the twisted black cable you will see that there is a two pin jack. that is placed so that the front panel can be completely removed from the main body. the hole through which the other front I/O cables pass is too small for the molex, and hence the two pin jack.

but what you said may be the cause too.

not dark blue bright blue. the blue is a lighter color than the fan blue.
  20. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:

sadly there isnt even 10mm of space behind the backplate to keep cables :(
  21. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    thats unfortunate. Time to get a new case haha.
  22. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    try to tie the 24 pins power tight to motherboard tray, the vga cable too so it wont block airflow from front, you can add 12cm fan on 5,25 inch bay to add some fresh air :toast:

Attached Files:

23. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    not even a year old :p
  24. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    Yeah das is right at first I tried to get that big big cable out to the back of the case and back in... It connected and everything fine but I couldn't attach the back side panel back on, because of the big cable. So I had to connect it the way I did...

DAS do you know if there is a way to get rid of the front door, I rarther have it of, I actually expected the front led lights to be dark blue before I got it... And now it's not working but I will try and do what you told me... About following the black small wiggly cable. I will post back if I need more help with it

EDIT: micropage I'm abut confused as to what you are trying to tell me. I'm guessing that big big cable marked red is the... 24pin connector, what should I do exactly because that front fan is like nearly useless at the moment. Plus trying to find that 2pin thingie that DAS is talking about may be a huge pain due to the way I've organised all the cables.

DAS, i checked the small white 2 pin thingie you were talking about, and made sure it was connected correctly. My lights are still very small and feint. Like if i were to put my hands over the big Y i can see a tiny tiny bit of light. I the black cable may be broken somewhere or something, then again... i just got the case like 2 days ago... soo...
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  25. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    I just recently got a new Case fan for the top a 140mm one, and made sure that air is flowing outside of the top of the case instead of blowing inside it. I booted up my computer and ran prime 95 with all my fans working and spinning fine. Im still getting the same temperatures.. 50 - 54 on load. 35 - 40 Idle, what am i doing wrong? could it be because my front bottom fan is like blocked from a lot of cables? i need some advice for better airflow in my case... what should each fan do exactly?

EDIT: im just wondering will the coolermaster V8 CPU cooler fit in my case with the top case fan as well?
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013