1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i need help. want to switch from AMD to Intel single core. need advice

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by torch, Sep 28, 2006.

1. torch New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am wanting to swich to Intel,but dont know anything about the different Intel northbridge options.I only have a need for a single core processor and pci-Xx16 video.Any help would be very greatly appreciated.
  2. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    well it all depends on what you have to spend, does your current board have pci-e x16?
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    You need motherboard, CPU, RAM and a graphic card. I suggest you go Core 2 Duo! :D
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Sigh

There are single core Conroes coming, basically the Conroe Celerons, wait for those. You'll need a new motherboard, RAM at least. Perhaps the i965 is your kind of chipset.
  5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It's NEVER wrong with dualcore.;) And it's not that expensive either. And as he/she wants PCI-e he/she need motherboard, cpu, ram and a graphic card.
  6. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The request was single core. I agree tha with the current prices dual core is the better choice. Though he specifically asked for single core.
  7. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    "Conroe Celerons"

the new cheapo overclockers dream praps.. he he he

course the real problem with single core is simple.. the performance ones have all been killed off for marketing reasons..

money for money.. more mhz from a single core would still be better than less mhz from a dual for most things..

trog
  8. xman2007

xman2007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    dont understand ifyou want single core why intel over amd ? we all know conroes are kicking amds butt however single core performance and cost wise amd is going to be miles better, i suggest a cheap 939mobo, an athlon64 3500 or 3800 and they will oc better and kick any p4 that way you can still use your existing ram etc, maybe get a mobo with both agp and pci, so you can upgrade furter in the future
  9. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    simple way of working with intel is that you pick a processor speed you want
    then find a motherboard that supports it, which has all the relevant capabilities
    i.e pci-e 16x able...

thats if you want one

how??? amds are several hundred more dollars expensive, even if they do overclock to match the frequency of an intel
    at least in australia anyway