1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i need help with driver info on mobo install

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by sneekypeet, Jan 22, 2007.

1. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A buddy is replacing the mobo in his Emachine and purchased a biostar T series. Question is when replacing mobo what is the best way to remove/replace drivers in hdd? i would really appreciat some help on this situation as I'm not sure either of us have it right!:toast:

2. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Before the change remove all installed drivers from the hd. After connecting new board install the new ones should be fine. Worked for me a few months back.:D
    Could be that your friend has to do a clean Windows install in worst case.

3. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course you aren't really doing this because the M$ license doesn't allow you to change your motherboard :rolleyes:

But TBH no one cares about that, and I agree - uninstall your drivers first, then install the news ones once you plug in the new mobo. Back up any data first though, just in case.

4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thx fellas ...sorta what we were thinking, just makin sure! hey jimmy he can still use the code on the case to get windows up and runnin?????

5. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Not Jimmy.:laugh: But it should be no problem.
    I never had with my HP pc when changing motherboard. I don't really know Emachines but i asume they pre build.

6. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, I made a post too :toast:

Anyway, although the update to the license says that you can't legally transfer from one motherboard to another, you can probably get away with it. If you have any problems with activating (changing motherboard might promt the activation), just phone Microsoft on the number that it gives, and if they ask why you're having problems just say that you upgraded the CPU or something. They won't know it's the motherboard, and IMO its the same computer, so ethically there isn't anything wrong, although legally there is. They'll give you the code.

There are people that will disagree with my opinion, but that's how I feel. :cool: