1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need mobo shoppin' help! :D

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by naokiakira, Nov 9, 2008.

1. naokiakira New Member

Thanks Received:
    As the title says I'm in need of some suggestions, or perhaps something to steer myself into the right direction. I'm wanting to upgrade my pc, new Mobo, cpu, ram etc. The thing is, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to anything related to buying a motherboard, never done it before. I'm on a budget, and I haven't really looked at anything over $160-170 (canadian). Basically, looking for something thats a great bang for your buck, since I'd be looking at overclocking of course. I've heard the name P5Q's from Asus tossed around a bit, and they'd be in my price range, but I'm open for suggestions since I was originally looking at something from Evga since I get my GPU's from them (I beleive they have 750i's within my budget). So, any suggestions on make or model to look at or anything I should look for when shopping for a motherboard would be awesome :)
  2. Squirrely

Squirrely

Thanks Received:
    The Evga 750i's are great boards. But, if you are planning on not SLI-ing later on, or switching to an ATI card, I would go with a p45 chipset board, such as the Asus P5Q Pro. p45's oc great, and that one is a great deal price/performance wise.

With ram, I would without a doubt pick up Gskill's (2x2gb) PI Black ram (DDR2 800). They can oc quite well, and can run 4-4-4-12 timings at 1.8v!

But, if I was you, I would pick up the P5Q Pro instead of a Nvidia chipset. If you ever need better graphics, you probably would be better off upgrading to a new card anyway. Intel's chipsets rock when it come to ocing and performance, performance, and power consumption ratio.

:toast:
  3. naokiakira New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'm happy with Nvidia right now though I don't see myself going with an SLI solution anytime soon, though I may consider using my 9600gt as a physics card while I use the upgrade as the main GPU (however that works exactly :p). In terms of CPU, yeah, intel all the way, no question there. I'd probably be looking at a Quad for that.